Beginner Questions

I would still recommend spraying multiple times with gly and 24d this summer, then plant heavy rye and clover in fall. Then could use cleth/imox in spring. Harder to use up north with how early y’all plant fall crops but doable with clover and rye. Harder with brassicas.
Quick question how do you mix Cleth/Imox I have a 50 Gallon Boom Sprayer on the back of a John Deer side by side. It is calibrated to spray at 20 gallons per acre. Just both to full strength per the labels?

Quick question how do you mix Cleth/Imox I have a 50 Gallon Boom Sprayer on the back of a John Deer side by side. It is calibrated to spray at 20 gallons per acre. Just both to full strength per the labels?
No chicory.

15oz imox
30oz cleth

Will spray 2.5 acres.

If you have chicory change rates to

10ox imox
40oz cleth

Still 2.5 acres.

Add about a gallon of ams before adding chemicals, and add 16-20oz of nis at the end.

No chicory.

15oz imox
30oz cleth

Will spray 2.5 acres.

If you have chicory change rates to

10ox imox
40oz cleth

Still 2.5 acres.

Add about a gallon of ams before adding chemicals, and add 16-20oz of nis at the end.
Thanks! This is a 50 gallon mix I assume, newbie question what are AMS and NIC crop oil or similar?

Yes. Based on info you gave.

AMS softens water and causes weeds to soak in herbicide. Google AMS supreme or nitro surf. Rural king and tractor supply sells.

Non ionic surfactant and crop oil are sticking agents and work similarly.

For 20 gallon/1 acre mix would be 6 imox/12 cleth for no chicory and 4 imox/16 cleth with chicory.

Thanks! This is a 50 gallon mix I assume, newbie question what are AMS and NIC crop oil or similar?

Yes. Based on info you gave.

AMS softens water and causes weeds to soak in herbicide. Google AMS supreme or nitro surf. Rural king and tractor supply sells.

Non ionic surfactant and crop oil are sticking agents and work similarly.

For 20 gallon/1 acre mix would be 6 imox/12 cleth for no chicory and 4 imox/16 cleth with chicory.
I'm curious why you add cleth to the Imox. Is it to help the Imox knock the grass down a little better? Or have i completely misunderstood the purpose of Imox, which I love by the way if used early in the year. I'm still learning so it's much appreciated when you experienced guys jump in to help us.

Basically you mix it the same. 32 oz per acre so you would add 32 oz to your 20 gallons. Not sure if arrest calls for a surfactant. Clethodim does but I’ve found it burns my clover a bit. It’s a sticking agent, I use a couple squirts of dawn dish detergent and it does the same thing. Only downside is it can make foam when you clean your sprayer.

Yes the 2’4-DB will kill your chicory good catch there.
Bill are you recommending 32oz of cleth per acre when used by itself? That may explain why my grass kill is spotty sometimes. I mix at 16oz per acre.

I'm curious why you add cleth to the Imox. Is it to help the Imox knock the grass down a little better? Or have i completely misunderstood the purpose of Imox, which I love by the way if used early in the year. I'm still learning so it's much appreciated when you experienced guys jump in to help us.
That’s a good question.

Imox is a broadleaf herbicide with some grass activity. You would never use it just for grass control by itself, unless targeting a specific grass without hurting others.
Preplant you would use gly plus imox, relying on gly for burndown and imox for residual control

Cleth is cheap and easy and in my mind why not add and get double coverage of your hard grass weeds?

In south with long growing seasons you can also use pursuit/thunder with cleth at same rates. It lasts 4 months, where imox is more like 2. I’m gonna alternate usage yearly

Bill are you recommending 32oz of cleth per acre when used by itself? That may explain why my grass kill is spotty sometimes. I mix at 16oz per acre.
Def 16oz/acre max.

That’s a good question.

Imox is a broadleaf herbicide with some grass activity. You would never use it just for grass control by itself, unless targeting a specific grass without hurting others.

Cleth is cheap and easy and in my mind why not add and get double coverage of your hard grass weeds?
I think it's a great idea!

Just reread the label. Maybe I have been mixing it a bit hot 😳

Just reread the label. Maybe I have been mixing it a bit hot 😳
Bill I bet your kill rate was outstanding!

Mid Summer Update, we have had a couple of rains and while the plot is far from great it has some good areas, at least some growing clover in most areas and only a few bare spots. Chicory seems to be doing very well some large chicory plants. The Cleth spray I did a few weeks back was pretty successful. Some grass survived but a large majority of it was terminated. Weeds are still pretty prevalent throughout the plot but I am trying not to worry to much about those this fall.
I am ramping up for my fall work on it, I have 4lbs of Ladino and 4lbs of Alsike Clover as well as 2 lbs of chicory from the local seed mill. I will be overseeding the thin and bare spots in early august along with about 60lbs of WR per acre over the entire 2.5 acres. At that point I am done for the year. With @omicron1792 's advice I am going to terminate the rye and hopefully some weeds with a hopefully well timed spraying of Imox/Cleth in the spring and complete summer mowing maintenance. I would like to thank you all for your assistance I have learned a lot from this group already and lookforward to learnig more and hopefully paying it forward at some point.

Just for fun I took some photos today to document status of the Clover Chicory Plot at the end of July. It is truly a Clint Eastwood Spaghetti Western, the Good the bad and the Ugly.

Pic 1 and 2 is a "the good" section a bit lower, held moisture better and is really thriving. Tall Chicory, abundance of Clover underneath and minimal weed issues.

Picture 3, 5 and 6 are more of "the bad" areas, weeds and some grass here and there, not part of my areas of thistle issues, I think I can do some quality fall work on these areas with a mix of clover and WR over seed that I am ready to do as soon as I see some solid rains in the forecast. Plan is to Overseed and mow the plot around 6" and give it to the powers that be for the fall.

Picture 4 is the main area of thistle infestation "the ugly". I am not sure this is savable but I am trying. Very little clover and chicory present. I just last night I spot sprayed these areas with Buytrac 200. I realize I may not get a great kill this time of year but I wanted to hit them and give it a week before over seed. It is difficult to see but there is already wilt on the thistle the silver looking areas so I know it is at least giving some control. Come spring if I am fighting a losing battle I may need to section areas of the plot off and go nuclear on a protion of it. This thistle is prolific.

So that is where things stand in pictures. On a side not my Brassica plot on another part of the property is just sprouting so I am excited to see how that fall planting does over the fall. I have a nice decent 2.5 year old on camera walking into it at 1:15 am last night. I attached that at the end, I think. :)

IMG_8754.jpegIMG_8755.jpegIMG_8757.jpegIMG_8758.jpegIMG_8759.jpegIMG_8760.jpeg