Review of Landpride 3p600 drill

omicron1792

5 year old buck +
So, native run on my drill today. Thoughts.

1. It worked way better than I expected. I planted Milo/millet/sunn hemp/sunflowers today on four different plots. Three of the plots are about one acre each, and the fourth is 3 acres.
1658453346197.jpeg
67E42733-04AD-4378-BC54-12FF499C3991.jpeg
Two of the plots are new plots and not very smooth. The drill did great, with the springs on the planters easily traversing the rough ground. There are 9 planters on mine, and cool things is they are independent, so if a few go over a hump, the others stay compressed and plant the lower ground. I. Sure there is a limit to this, but for me it didn’t miss a beat.

2. The three smaller plots were mainly buckwheat planted in May. They had some cow peas, sunn hemp, and annual grasses that I planted in to. I had zero issues without the front coulters of a no till drill. I actually think they would have hindered me (what ma others have said also).

The seeds trenches were so covered I couldn’t see any seeds. That part was crazy. At first I was wondering if it was even planting, but it was. I uncovered a few areas and there the seeds were. Also when I would pick up the drill I could see where seed was dropped but the press wheels had not rolled over yet (because I picked up the drill).
E18E4A59-3117-45E1-A50F-C3DE0CBB0AB0.jpeg
4A74B3F0-4083-4103-9CB9-494551272B22.jpeg
3. The three acre field was kudzu. I sprayed it almost two months ago, I used aminopyralid (milestone) and triclopyr. It nuked the kudzu, but pretty much suppresses any broadleaf plants for several months. I planted very heavy Milo/millet/sudex. You can see that it cut through the thick thatch with ease, and even with heavy heavy planting rate the seeds are completely covered.

Overall, I could not be more pleased. Had no issues at all. And, it came a rain as I was finishing up. Overall a good day. Probably planted at a 3 acre/hour rate on the big field, and a little slower on the smaller fields having to pick up drill and turn around a lot.

My kubota mx5400 handled the drill with seed (about 1800lbs) with zero issues. Went up a steep hill to get to a field with no issues. Tractor never acted like I had anything on it.

Attachments

• 596AE863-52C5-4C6F-B7E8-F166C30C7C9E.png
    596AE863-52C5-4C6F-B7E8-F166C30C7C9E.png
    790.3 KB · Views: 21
^. Great reveiw. Thanks. From the looks of your openers you were at least 1" deep?

Neat thing with a drill.....is that you can never really see what you did.....you have to "believe" ......and watch the seed hopper....to know what just occurred. lol.

Great looking rig.

^. Great reveiw. Thanks. From the looks of your openers you were at least 1" deep?

Neat thing with a drill.....is that you can never really see what you did.....you have to "believe" ......and watch the seed hopper....to know what just occurred. lol.

Great looking rig.
Thanks Foggy,

The primary depth of trench is determined by the front wheel placement. It has about 10 different holes you can use. The “primary” setting it comes on is 1 5/8” deep. That is the recommended all purpose depth. You have to remove a bolt to change so not an instant thing.

The press wheels each have about 8 settings where you can adjust seeding depth. This is called the primary depth control in the manual. I had it on the middle setting, so was shooting for a little less than an inch depth on planting.

You can also adjust the springs for harder push down on the planting coulters. I left those on the standard settings. Most of my soil is Sandy loam and doesn’t take alot of pressure to plant.

Thanks Foggy,

The primary depth of trench is determined by the front wheel placement. It has about 10 different holes you can use. The “primary” setting it comes on is 1 5/8” deep. That is the recommended all purpose depth. You have to remove a bolt to change so not an instant thing.

The press wheels each have about 8 settings where you can adjust seeding depth. This is called the primary depth control in the manual. I had it on the middle setting, so was shooting for a little less than an inch depth on planting.

You can also adjust the springs for harder push down on the planting coulters. I left those on the standard settings. Most of my soil is Sandy loam and doesn’t take alot of pressure to plant.
That soil type is what I got to drill into as well.....sandy loam. I don't think it takes allot of pre-load on those springs to deal with our soils. Takes a bit to understand this stuff.....and they all go about it slightly different and we all got different soils. Interesting stuff to me. Looks like your "on it" to me.

That soil type is what I got to drill into as well.....sandy loam. I don't think it takes allot of pre-load on those springs to deal with our soils. Takes a bit to understand this stuff.....and they all go about it slightly different and we all got different soils. Interesting stuff to me. Looks like your "on it" to me.
Me too Foggy. I enjoy learning about this stuff.

Just looking back at your "first" picture. To me, it looks like you have the front of that drill pointing "downhill". I really think you need to find a level set up and then use the drill adjustments to get your seeds to the right depth. A hydraulic top link would make it simple....but it's not a big deal to use the OEM top link either. When adjusted from a level condition...you will be better able to make the same settings the next time you use the drill. .....all IMO.... I keep a level zip-tied to the side of my drill.....yeah....I get a bit overboard. Grin. Do what works for you.

Edit: Just looked again....and I see you have a hydraulic top link. That should make it easy.

I have a landpride quick hitch and I think my top link is a little short. Gonna get a new one installed when I have my next maintenance.

Also I’m going down hill a little in that pic. It’s actually pretty level. I use a floating top connector off the quick hitch so the machine floats over terrain.

Just looking back at your "first" picture. To me, it looks like you have the front of that drill pointing "downhill". I really think you need to find a level set up and then use the drill adjustments to get your seeds to the right depth. A hydraulic top link would make it simple....but it's not a big deal to use the OEM top link either. When adjusted from a level condition...you will be better able to make the same settings the next time you use the drill. .....all IMO.... I keep a level zip-tied to the side of my drill.....yeah....I get a bit overboard. Grin. Do what works for you.

Edit: Just looked again....and I see you have a hydraulic top link. That should make it easy.
BDF6F2E9-CB3C-408B-BFC1-195953B7CA0F.jpeg
Maybe a little forward lean. I was adjusting my hydraulic down pressure later in drilling to not put as much pressure on the nose.

I have a landpride quick hitch and I think my top link is a little short. Gonna get a new one installed when I have my next maintenance.

Also I’m going down hill a little in that pic. It’s actually pretty level. I use a floating top connector off the quick hitch so the machine floats over terrain.
They make two lengths of hydraulic top links for category 1 tractors (generally). The first one I got was the shorter version.....but I returned it for the longer one. I got PAT'S E Z Change on my drag links......so the extra length is mandatory. Even then.....there are times another inch or two would be better. I've never had a "too short" issue.

Great write up. This year is my first with my GP 606nt. very impressed so far with it. Mine has the coulters in front of the openers. I took me a bit to realized I needed to lengthen my top link as well to get the pressure onto the closing wheels. My m7060 does not have a loader so I had to fab up a front weight mount and add 1000lbs upfront. It works but a few more pounds up front yet would be ideal. These drills are heavy!!

Great write up. This year is my first with my GP 606nt. very impressed so far with it. Mine has the coulters in front of the openers. I took me a bit to realized I needed to lengthen my top link as well to get the pressure onto the closing wheels. My m7060 does not have a loader so I had to fab up a front weight mount and add 1000lbs upfront. It works but a few more pounds up front yet would be ideal. These drills are heavy!!
Those coulters are heavy. I think that The front row yours has that mine doesn’t add six or 700 pounds.

Those coulters are heavy. I think that The front row yours has that mine doesn’t add six or 700 pounds.
That sounds fair. The frame they are mounted to along with the big springs on each one have to weigh a lot.

That sounds fair. The frame they are mounted to along with the big springs on each one have to weigh a lot.
While the coulters and frame add weight.....they also have a weight requirement to penetrate the ground. If you dont have heavy sod or clay soils.....then those cutting coulters are not as of much value as they may be to the former. I got cutting coulters too.....and not sure of their value to me. Different schools of thought here. Lots of ways to skin a cat.

I agree. It’s the extra weight that really helps over having that front row. I can see how having them can help.

Omimcron - I have an L4701. All the Kubota specs say that the lift on an MX 5400 and a L4701 are about the same at the 3pt. You didn’t have any trouble lifting the planter?

Has anyone ever demo’d one of these drills from a dealer? I would hate to buy the 3pt 500/600 and not have it work in my heavy clay soils and wish I would have spent the extra and got the pull behind 606nt.

^ Spike.....I dont think you would have trouble lifting the 3P500 or the 3P600......but the NT drills would be a stretch with your tractor. You ask a great question about heavy soils with these drills......and one I have been asking for a long time. Seems there are no decent video reviews and little written about these products. Mystery to me. My local dealer says folks in my area are quite satisfied with these drills.....but they have mostly light soils. GP/LP does not market the 3P500 and 3P600 as "no till".......so, there is that.

IF GP/LP would ever offer a 3P500NT.......I believe I would be all over that product. Seems there are quite a few tractors that could benefit from that product (Just in case the good folks at GP listen to us....grin.). That could present an ideal weight for lots of 35 to 40+ HP tractors like my L3360. I'm just biding time. :D......and "make do" with my Tar River Saya 505.

Good news that it’s working that slick! I’ve been struggling to figure out my little esch drill without discing the sod mats on my old hay fields. I was struggling to get the openers to consistent depth and making a clean furrow for the seed to sit in and get covered. In my case, it seems my issue was trying to have the front of the drill too high to get weight on the openers and avoid false bottom from the coulters being deeper than the openers. I tried with the front a little lower last night and it seemed to clean up the issues at least with getting seed into a more consistent furrow.

The drill is only 39” wide has 7 openers and weighs over 2100#. On gentle turns (the only kind I make with drill in the ground) the outside rows ride up a little higher, I wonder if a little more weight wouldn’t help a bit with that.

Sorry to Hi-Jack your thread Omicron! It looks the difference between the 3p600 and 3p 606nt is the addition of a row of coulters of front?

So I don’t think you could even get the fluted coulters for the 3p 600???.

When planting into hard clay ground - You could always increase/max out spring pressure - but they might be maxed out already in the tire track rows???

The main reason I’d rather have the 3p 500/600 is the ability to put the whole thing on a trailer and maybe make some extra money with my equipment. That gets to be a rigamorole with an extra pull behind planter.

Omicron - what say you? Any recommendations?

Also - Does landpride/Great Plains ever have any field days where a guy could see these units running, ask questions to field reps etc?

Omimcron - I have an L4701. All the Kubota specs say that the lift on an MX 5400 and a L4701 are about the same at the 3pt. You didn’t have any trouble lifting the planter?

Has anyone ever demo’d one of these drills from a dealer? I would hate to buy the 3pt 500/600 and not have it work in my heavy clay soils and wish I would have spent the extra and got the pull behind 606nt.

Mine loaded with seed was 1800lbs. My tractor had zero issues running at 2000rpm. I didn’t even have anything on my front end loader and had no problems.

^ Spike.....I dont think you would have trouble lifting the 3P500 or the 3P600......but the NT drills would be a stretch with your tractor. You ask a great question about heavy soils with these drills......and one I have been asking for a long time. Seems there are no decent video reviews and little written about these products. Mystery to me. My local dealer says folks in my area are quite satisfied with these drills.....but they have mostly light soils. GP/LP does not market the 3P500 and 3P600 as "no till".......so, there is that.

IF GP/LP would ever offer a 3P500NT.......I believe I would be all over that product. Seems there are quite a few tractors that could benefit from that product (Just in case the good folks at GP listen to us....grin.). That could present an ideal weight for lots of 35 to 40+ HP tractors like my L3360. I'm just biding time. :D......and "make do" with my Tar River Saya 505.
Foggy. Your drill info has been great and one of the main reasons I took the drill plunge.