Sunn Hemp

Ben.MN/WI

5 year old buck +
Has anyone in the north country tried using sunn hemp as a soil builder and bedding cover combo?

I know it is used frequently down south, but I'm not sure how it will hold up in Minnesota. My goal for the area is to build up some organic matter in some eroded soil while also creating some deer and pheasant cover. I'm thinking about planting come of it straight and then maybe mixing it with some milo, leftover corn or whatever other seed I have laying around. I would be interested in any suggestions if there are any ideas for alternate seeds that might also work for that situation.

I'm limited to ATV only equipment here, but the field is easy to work with how since it was soybeans last year.

I did an acre a couple of years ago as a stand alone. It grew well to ~5'-6'. The challenge was that it was very fibrous and took a year or 2 to start to break down. I guess there is a trade-off with good OM and tough plant residue.

An alternative would be hairy vetch. Good OM volume producer and will affix nitrogen. Plant similar to WR, planting in early august and it will grow well following spring.

I would avoid sunn hemp if you only have ATV implements to work with. Milo and millet will give you a decent stand for pheasants. If you want a summer legume soil builder, maybe cowpeas would be a good choice. You can add vetch, but go light on it. Ordinary climbing peas might be a good choice too.

My understanding is that sunn hemp and giant sunflowers can be too difficult for ATV implements. Corn could be challenging as well, but

I wouldn't put corn in a blend. If you're going to plant corn, you should plant it properly in order to get the most out of it.

I've tried sunn hemp in a mix a few times in central MN using the TnM method and have not had good results. Never had any get over about two feet tall. Could just be my soil so I wouldn't discourage you from giving it a go, just don't bet the farm on it.

We did some August plantings in our garden and it got 5 feet tall. But was disappointed with the nodules on the root. Possibly not enough growing time. The winter peas produces more nodules.

If spring planting , I’d say mid to late June when the soils really warm up.

What ATV equipment do you got. I've done hairy vettch in zone 3 with good rsults. Done canola too. Seen sunn hemp in that area grow well on AG land not too far away.

Thicker tougher plants for build soil might appreciate a mowing when terminating.

A mix of vetch would help with nitrogen production. Although no till can go hand in hand with no soil amendments, building organic matter with the help of fertilizer for the first few years helps speed up the process.