Food Plots in Hill Country

SnowWaterWhitetails

Yearling... With promise
I just recently purchased some property in SE Ohio (Gallia Co.). With that being said, I have some ridge top food plots already incorporated; however, I am curious on if anyone has any experience with food plots in the bottoms / creek bottoms. The hills are not super steep and I am still learning how the deer are bedding. I own other land in the flat lands so this is all new to me.

Seems like the ground is fairly rocky, and I am waiting on my soil test results. Also, if anyone has any pointers on creating bedding on hillsides / mountain country it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

How bad is the hill? Pics would be good. I've seen deer many times bedding in flatter spots of the hill. OFten old logging trails cut in by bulldozers are used by deer. Maybe consider renting a bulldozer.

If you're maintaining the hill with some sort of equipment, consider getting a tow behind mower for your tractor. Still uses the PTO, but that articulation and relieving the weight imbalance really helps out on mowing hillsides.

IF you have any pics, try to scribble in the paths you know the deer use so far.

Little patches of spruce can be helpful. They'll find a way to stay dry.

Prevailing winds are west to east by me. I've noticed stalk hunting in the catskills the deer kind of like to be close to the top, but not all the way. LAte maybe 30-50ft shy of the top on the east side at times. The wind blows from the west, but creates suction that pulls the east side air up the hill a bit. This way the deer can be out of the brunt of the wind, but are able to smell whats going on on both sides of the hill. Alot of the terrrains I have went on has ridges going south / north. So it mostly has east / west hillsides.

I just recently purchased some property in SE Ohio (Gallia Co.). With that being said, I have some ridge top food plots already incorporated; however, I am curious on if anyone has any experience with food plots in the bottoms / creek bottoms. The hills are not super steep and I am still learning how the deer are bedding. I own other land in the flat lands so this is all new to me.

Seems like the ground is fairly rocky, and I am waiting on my soil test results. Also, if anyone has any pointers on creating bedding on hillsides / mountain country it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
I have found deer bed on hills, especially bucks.

Clear cutting a hillside works great. Let it grow and burn or spray if every 3-5 years. I actually think they prefer bedding sites with some overstay tree cover, but enough sun to keep ground thick.

It’s a little tougher because you can’t cut it. But I have found the more I stay out of those areas the more deer bed in it (shocker I know).

Depending on your topography, you may find bottom plots difficult. Winds swirl and thermals pull your scent downward in the evenings.

The easiest way to create bedding would be selective hing cutting. While the practice can be easily overdone, it would likely work well when done selectively and with care. Hing cutting is still endorsed by some of the best voices out there, just be careful not to overdo it. You can always hing a few more, but you can never hing a few less. Now is the rime to do this, as it will provide both bedding and browse.

You mentioned rocky. The spot I hunt in PA public land is glacial rock. Tons of smaller sharp endge rocks. The deer bed where they can't find that.

IF making bedding areas, consider getting something to screen the soil. Level it out, take the rocks out. Put some soft perennial grass in there. plant a pine or spruce tree on a corner. Then brush it up. Often deer bed against a fallen log to break the wind. Then make an escape or two.

Deer find the laziest way in and out of a hill. Utilize it or help make that.

I have a drainage ditch crossing I hunt dividng 2 cornfields. IT's is an easier way to go in and out of the 2 fields. I made it even easier. Leveled the steep approach, took the lumpy rocks out of the path in and out. I feel they use it even more than before, although my treestand has been there for atleast 4 years before that.

Typically bedding areas is a corner of the property you do not want to be in often. Does like a nice lazy cosy spot they can see people and animals coming easily. Bucks would like that too, but are willing to go out of the way to be more secluded and private. IF there's a way a buck can cross something with water to cover his scent trail to his bed, he will prefer it. Some bucks almost require it to be comfortable. I believe this is why we see deer much more often in the rain than a nice warm calm day.

Short story long, any kind of drainage path alongside the hill the deer can meander towards a bed on the hill?

Lastly, you might want to figure out how to stay hidden while going to your hunting spot. I had a fun but fustrating place I could hunt 10 years ago. The deer were usuallu bedded and saw you coming.

Best tatic there was to get out of your car and pretend your going into the house, then go around the house, wait a bit, then either wait at the bottom for a 300 yard shot, or sneak alongside the brrushy property edge. Sometime treestand paths backfire and deer like them. IF there is an open area towards where you want to hunt, make a groundblind near your start. So you can hide and have a spot to rest your gun for a longer shot. Firewood piles are cheap and easy.

Reactions: 356