Review of Landpride 3p600 drill

Can you upload a picture of that birdseed bag and the ingredient list?
Mine were 50lb bags.

Shafer Wild Bird Seed :

• An all purpose mix to attract a wide variety of birds all year round.
  • Shafer Wild Bird Seed. Wild Bird Feeders And Accessories
  • White Millet Red Millet Blend Sunflower And Milo.
385B3919-BF0F-47EF-92FA-58D865176370.png

How would this 3P600 perform differently than the old Van Brunt or Deere 8300 grain drills?

Update on this.

I planted the right half of this field in good millet/sorghum seed. Left half with bird feed.

Definitely a big difference.

9FD32FCB-31B2-4994-A32E-25DA0D10D82E.jpeg

^ Interesting. Would be neat to see a pic in a few more weeks too!

The dead kudzu must be a great fertilizer. Added zero lime or fertilizer to field.

Another thing is kudzu exhausted the seed bank. Saw zero weeds in whole field.

The dead kudzu must be a great fertilizer. Added zero lime or fertilizer to field.

Another thing is kudzu exhausted the seed bank. Saw zero weeds in whole field.
Also zero difference In side planted in good seed and side with bird seed. If anything bird seed was a little better. Was a bit slower to get going but caught up and did great. First pic with taller plants was bird seed. Second with shorter sorghum was the expensive seed.

How would this 3P600 perform differently than the old Van Brunt or Deere 8300 grain drills?
Just saw this question.....and I think it is a fair one to ask. I've never operated one....so there is that. Not sure how easy they are to adjust....but they sure were popular.....so I assume they had that box checked. Also they have a small seed box in most cases. They do have some old fashioned steel tubes generally.....but they seems to stand the test of time too. The double disk Van Brunts can work quite well with light soils like we are doing above. However they are pull type and require more space to turn and position, etc. Also they usually pull some chains to act as a closing wheel rather than a press wheel as found on the drills discussed here. I know several folks that have converted these to a narrower width and into a three point set up....and they seem relatively happy with them.....and can save allot of money.

I got no issues with going this way.....probably would work fine for many folks. I did try to locate a good one....but never succeeded in finding the right set up. Decided to "get modern" and never looked back. One thing for sure.....if you go this direction and want out......it would be easy to sell your drill and move on. Lots of demand for affordable stuff in this catagory right now.

Did you have any problems when drilling into that (good looking) mess? Is that the "birdseed" plot?? Wow. Pretty impressive if you penetrated that stuff.
Zero issues at all. The thing about millet and Milo is it looks like a mess up high but there is actually a good bit of open ground underneath.

Just saw this question.....and I think it is a fair one to ask. I've never operated one....so there is that. Not sure how easy they are to adjust....but they sure were popular.....so I assume they had that box checked. Also they have a small seed box in most cases. They do have some old fashioned steel tubes generally.....but they seems to stand the test of time too. The double disk Van Brunts can work quite well with light soils like we are doing above. However they are pull type and require more space to turn and position, etc. Also they usually pull some chains to act as a closing wheel rather than a press wheel as found on the drills discussed here. I know several folks that have converted these to a narrower width and into a three point set up....and they seem relatively happy with them.....and can save allot of money.

I got no issues with going this way.....probably would work fine for many folks. I did try to locate a good one....but never succeeded in finding the right set up. Decided to "get modern" and never looked back. One thing for sure.....if you go this direction and want out......it would be easy to sell your drill and move on. Lots of demand for affordable stuff in this catagory right now.
Was just surfing around while watching a movie......and stumbled into this video. Watched a few mins of it......but not all of it - yet. I think this guy seems to know his tuff on these old drills and it appears he will show you how to make one. He seems to know the ins and outs of these drills...from what I watched. ONE thing you will struggle with on such a project tho....is getting adequate weight to penetrate many soil conditions. The openers just dont have much weight. Maybe there is a way to add some?? Good luck.

Last edited:
The difference between the 3p600 and the 3p606NT is around 600 lbs, is that all in coulters? You guys were saying you may not even need coulters to run a 3p600 as a no till?

The difference between the 3p600 and the 3p606NT is around 600 lbs, is that all in coulters? You guys were saying you may not even need coulters to run a 3p600 as a no till?
Not 100% sure. Difficult question to put an absolute answer to. There is defineatly more frame weight to mount those coulters to.....and a somewhat different drive wheel set up......so I would imagine maybe 400 lbs of coulters and 200 lbs of frame. Keep in mind tho....that now those coulters also need to penetrate the ground in addition to the seed openers.....so some of the extra weight for penetration is likely lost. Then again.....if you have a slit in the ground....in theory it's easier for the double disks to penetrate and open that slit. No absolutes here.....but it does take more weight to keep the slicing coulters and the openers in the ground. Some will claim the slicing coulters are not "worth it" others say differently. I do not know....and I am sure that soil types may make it a variable answer.

^ My "opinion" is that a 3p600 will operate just fine in lighter "sandy" soils....while the 3P606Nt may be a better choice in heavy soils. I have absolutely no experience to base this on....just what I read in the inter webs. But soil type will likely influence your needs. I'm about to find out this summer. lol.

Also, could be major differences if you are trying to no-till in heavy cornstalks vs in bean stubble or clover. Lots of variables.

Some other guys could better guide you here.

Last edited:
^ My "opinion" is that a 3p600 will operate just fine in lighter "sandy" soils....while the 3P606Nt may be a better choice in heavy soils. I have absolutely no experience to base this on....just what I read in the inter webs. But soil type will likely influence your needs. I'm about to find out this summer. lol.

Also, could be major differences if you are trying to no-till in heavy cornstalks vs in bean stubble or clover. Lots of variables.

Some other guys could better guide you here.

Yes, residue is the big reasons to have coulters. Corn stalks, sod, etc.

Yes, residue is the big reasons to have coulters. Corn stalks, sod, etc.
This has been said many times here, but lots (if not most) of wildlife no tillers don’t use cutting coulters. Grant woods being one of the main ones.

This has been said many times here, but lots (if not most) of wildlife no tillers don’t use cutting coulters. Grant woods being one of the main ones.
I think all the original "no till drills" had coulters. Now farmers have found other means with row cleaners and trash whippers and such. Stuff keeps changing. A few years ago I thought I needed coulters.....now? not so much. Especially in that I dont do much for corn and I have light soils. The implement dealers and farmers in your area may provide more intel on what the locals prefer. Might be worth your time to ask.

Called a dealer and Great Plains themselves and both told me they didn't think I would have a problem in my silt loam soil planting no till with the 3p600 *BUT* they both mentioned if I had heavy thatch that I may not get my seed on the ground. The guy from GP said you may find your drill driving over the mat of thatch.

I can't go to the 3p606 due to weight and I refuse to buy a bigger tractor just to do it.

My goal(s) would be to plant a summer cover crop with the drill, a variety of sorts...then drill the fall grains/brassica rotations into that. I'd either buy a crimper or run a cultipacker over and spray to terminate the summer mix.
I have a JD 7000 4 row corn/bean planter with no till coulter/row cleaner for corn and beans(spring planted), so the GP would be strictly summer and fall plantings.

Thoughts on this?

Last edited:
Called a deal and Great Plains themselves and both told me they didn't think I would have a problem in my silt loam soil planting no till with the 3p600 *BUT* they both mentioned if I had heavy thatch that I may not get my seed on the ground. The guy from GP said you may find your drill driving over the mat of thatch.

I can't go to the 3p606 due to weight and I refuse to buy a bigger tractor just to do it.

My goal(s) would be to plant a summer cover crop with the drill, a variety of sorts...then drill the fall grains/brassica rotations into that. I'd either buy a crimper or run a cultipacker over and spray to terminate the summer mix.
I have a JD 7000 4 row corn/bean planter with no till coulter/row cleaner for corn and beans(spring planted), so the GP would be strictly summer and fall plantings.

Thoughts on this?
Exactly what I’m doing with 3p600, crimper, and Kubota mx5400 with great results and zero issues.

9D5B1A4B-E4A4-4BE2-A75F-780C83D14142.jpeg2C81069C-C99A-425E-AD3C-30E15776180A.jpeg