No turnip bulbs

I still think its wet ground...which could obviously lead to disease issues. Brassicas do not like any standing water, they prefer a loose, well drained soil with decent OM

It probably is. That is always the mostly likely culprit on my land. I've had really really good brassica crops in the past. Last year was my best. Fed the deer until into February with them. It can be done.

I would agree with stu in post #22. The excessive moisture in those soils could likely increase the chances of disease issues on that soil. Not as noticeable on dryer ground.

I agree give them some more time

Well there is no other option. I'm not starting over at this point. I'll get what I get. At least I'm getting good radish in the ground. Those are growing good.

WE can guess all we want. Back to back years of turnips, way too wet, way to wet causing nitrogen loss, twice as many plants as required, disease pressure......welcome to farming.

upload_2015-8-24_8-57-30.jpeg

Would any of you consider hitting with urea one more time? I'm leaning towards no but just seeing what you guys think.

With the heavy soil Mo I don't think the N would of been lost that bad?

Would any of you consider hitting with urea one more time? I'm leaning towards no but just seeing what you guys think.

With the heavy soil Mo I don't think the N would of been lost that bad?

Throw some urea on half of it and find out for yourself.

I still think it is from the lack of rain and excess heat. The last 2 weeks of July and 1st week of August we had little to no rain and temps in the high 80's to low 90's. Last year we had way more rain and cooler temps. Brad's plot may look wet in pictures but that is due to the rain we had the last few days.

I still think it is from the lack of rain and excess heat. The last 2 weeks of July and 1st week of August we had little to no rain and temps in the high 80's to low 90's. Last year we had way more rain and cooler temps. Brad's plot may look wet in pictures but that is due to the rain we had the last few days.

I don't doubt for a second the excessive heat and humidity has been a factor. Its been damn hot. Trust me when I say this. It takes a long long long time to dry out my soils. I don't like how the rain came down. Its more of 1"+ and then no rain for two weeks. I'd rather have 0.25" at a time max otherwise I get standing water. That has not been the case this year.

upload_2015-8-24_9-27-3.png

upload_2015-8-24_9-27-26.png

That was my rain schedule since planting on July 11. Notice how much rain we got right after my urea.

Those plants don't look big enough yet to have much if any bulb growth. They are however right about the size I like to pour urea on. Barkant will produce a good sized bulb. Your plot looks a little thick, but not horrible. How much urea did you put down 08/16?

Those plants don't look big enough yet to have much if any bulb growth. They are however right about the size I like to pour urea on. Barkant will produce a good sized bulb. Your plot looks a little thick, but not horrible. How much urea did you put down 08/16?

At a rate of approximately 100-125lbs/acre.

Some of the leaves look like the Pasja turnips I've ordered from Welters in the past. No bulb from these hybrids. I will not be planting them again. I like my bulbs, and plain ole PTT fit my preference the best.

Some of the leaves look like the Pasja turnips I've ordered from Welters in the past. No bulb from these hybrids. I will not be planting them again. I like my bulbs, and plain ole PTT fit my preference the best.

Deer will eat Pasja's. What was wrong with them?

Deer will eat Pasja's. What was wrong with them?
No bulb growth. I wasn't impressed with the increased leaf growth. Yes there was more when compared to PTT but not enough to sway me into planting them again. My brassicas including PTT get hit well before first frost. The bulbs give me months of extra feed on the plot after the leafs are consumed. So no Pasja's for me. They took up space where I could have had PTT bulbs growing while only giving me a fraction of the days available for browse.

No bulb growth. I wasn't impressed with the increased leaf growth. Yes there was more when compared to PTT but not enough to sway me into planting them again. My brassicas including PTT get hit well before first frost. The bulbs give me months of extra feed on the plot after the leafs are consumed. So no Pasja's for me. They took up space where I could have had PTT bulbs growing while only giving me a fraction of the days available for browse.

That is why I like Vivant in the Mix. Big Leaves and you still get a nice white tuber the size of a big carrot for the deer to chew on.