No turnip bulbs

B

BJE80

Took a look at my plots this weekend. Radish looks great. Rape looks great. Leafs on the turnips looks good. I could not find a single turnip bulb. Overseeding of Rye looks good.

I've used PTT in the past. Always had good bulbs. I did use a different variety this year. I tried the Barkant forage turnip seed from Welters.

I fertilized correctly when I planted even hit it with urea.

I don't get it. Ive had such good luck with turnips in the past and conditions have been favorable.

IMG_1887_zpsu9fmgfyt.jpg

IMG_1886_zps9ylqn8sg.jpg

IMG_1885_zpsz42gqxiu.jpg

IMG_1889_zpsndgaq3wz.jpg

IMG_1891_zpslmcsn7su.jpg

Barkant being a "forage" turnip specialize in growing leafy forage in place of maximum bulb growth. They are one of forage hybrids that can get a really nice bulb under most circumstances though, it is strange that you don't have "any" bulb growth.

Too wet would be my guess.

I thought they didn't have the bright green color like I've seen in the past. Some parts look worse than others. I don't think fertilizer is the problem. Its been damn hot. They would not be too dry. It doesn't seem too wet in the plot. At least not wetter than previous years. But it has been hotter. Hmmmmmmmmmm

I wonder if the heavy rainfalls have stressed them. Its been all or nothing. I think the last couple of years the rain has been more spread out.

The soil in those last 2 pics looks awfully moist, almost to the point I can see some moss starting to form.

The soil in those last 2 pics looks awfully moist, almost to the point I can see some moss starting to form.

Well of course. What else would you expect from me? :(:mad::confused:

Give them some more time.

If you ever need any screening in those plots, look no further than jap millet, my guess is that it would thrive in there.

This was opening day of bow last year which we got a ton of rain that week. Fun stuff.

IMG_5203_zpsoh5ptvaa.jpg

IMG_5208_zpsiersailh.jpg

I think you overseeded the plot. Too many brassica in close proximity will lead to purpling of the leaves. Could be a nutrient deficiency too.

I've had disease/issues with brassicas on damp ground in the past on my old place.

That ground looks much better for clover than brassicas IMHO

Plus its back to back year of brassicas. Which I wanted to try and see what happened.

I think you overseeded the plot. Too many brassica in close proximity will lead to purpling of the leaves. Could be a nutrient deficiency too.

I overseeded with rye and leftover oats. Not brassicas. The brassicas were seeded a little thick as it was. I suck at small seeds. Actually I suck at a lot of things.

Plus its back to back year of brassicas. Which I wanted to try and see what happened.

You just found out why not to do that.

Brad I managed to get up to my land Sunday afternoon and in my brassica plots the turnip bulbs were just starting to develop. One plot looked really good and the other plot was spotty. I looked and in the spotty plot there was brassica seed that was just germinating. I planted on July 19th so my guess it was from lack of rain and excessive heat.

I meant you put too many seeds down, I just didn't word it right. Too thick is correct. Too thick of brassica seeds leads to purpling of leaves.

You just found out why not to do that.

Yeah that is why I asked earlier this year on here and it was stated by many (like Stu) that they have no problems. But who knows maybe I can't get away with it with marginal soils.

Yeah that is why I asked earlier this year on here and it was stated by many (like Stu) that they have no problems. But who knows maybe I can't get away with it with marginal soils.

Stu is GOD when it comes to growing crap, the rest of us suffer for our mistakes!;)

Brad when did you plant your brassicas?

Stu is GOD when it comes to growing crap, the rest of us suffer for our mistakes!;)

Its one of those things that I wanted to try now. Before I ruin a 2 acre plot of it in the coming years. Its cheaper to figure out stuff with small plots before I got large scale here. Know what I mean?