All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New chainsaw help

scott44

5 year old buck +
I'm looking to buy a new smaller chainsaw for hinging and limbing and would like any and all suggestions, likes, dislikes etc. Thanks in advance.

Stihl 16" Bar. My MS250 is 12 years old and still going strong. Cut a lot of wood with that saw including lots of hinging.

I just got a stihl 14" for just that purpose. It is very light. I have not used it yet but hopefully soon.

I got a T435 huscarvana a few years ago. I love this little saw. It is lightweight and powerful. The saw is a professional limbing saw, so it has a handle you can hold it with one hand easily. It wasn't cheap, cause this is a commercial grade saw. I believe it was around $400. Out of my four other saws this is the one I use the most. I heard the stil 170s are a good little saw too.

I've got a little Craftsman 16". I like it, but I don't use it much. There is a lot of plastic in its construction and I'm sure it wouldn't hold up well under heavy use. It was cheap though.

I'm in the Stihl camp as well. Only reason I had to replace mine was because I burned up the motor by using straight gas in it without knowing it. I still think my boy did it on purpose. He hated that saw. The deal was if it didn't start we wouldn't cut wood. It always started - he hated cutting wood!

I went out and bought the exact same saw - my dad uses Stihls, my grandfather used Stihls - not saying they are the best, but they are a good saw.

I was thinking about a Stihl as well because we have a dealer right here in town but I'm not sure of the size, I see they have home owners and professional models and not sure if it's worth the extra money for the professional for what I'm using it for.

I had a Jonsered that ran strong for over 30 years then it died. I no longer had a local service/sales for Jonsered so I stitched to Stihl. Real hard to compare saw that are that age difference but either are top notch. Unless you plan to do you own service I'd suggest whoever you will get the best service from is who you should strongly consider.

I bought a STIHL FARMBOSS and am always stealing my buddies Stihl with a 12 inch bar on it. Bigger saws are for firewood. Little saw (half the weight) sure is nice when you are cutting at chest level.

If I remember right Stihl's web site has a product selector that will help you pick the right one. Myself I am willing to pay more for the professional model.

If your hinging and limbing trees or even felling some medium size stuff you don't need a big pro model, unless you are literally going to run the saw everyday year round. A smaller saw will work great for removing limbs and hinge cuts. Like Batman noted - especially for higher hinge cuts. Service is important with any purchase - you gott'a be able to get parts.

image1.JPG
I dropped over 3 bills on this topping saw and Im not happy with it. I want ssomething bigger. Its light and cuts good as long as its sharp but need something with more balls...

Jordan - you got a "topping saw" - every tool has a purpose. Your using a tack hammer and you want a framing hammer. Wait until your trying to lift a mid sized saw to chest height for a bunch of hinge cuts - then you will love that little saw you have.

Use the selection guides they list and you will be fine. If your worried about not having enough saw - go a size bigger than you think. I think mine is an MS250 and it suits my needs just fine - gets a little heavy on repetitive light work, and sin't going to cut down any monster trees either, but it's a nice medium in between for what I need. Right tool for the right job.

Jordan - you got a "topping saw" - every tool has a purpose. Your using a tack hammer and you want a framing hammer. Wait until your trying to lift a mid sized saw to chest height for a bunch of hinge cuts - then you will love that little saw you have.

Use the selection guides they list and you will be fine. If your worried about not having enough saw - go a size bigger than you think. I think mine is an MS250 and it suits my needs just fine - gets a little heavy on repetitive light work, and sin't going to cut down any monster trees either, but it's a nice medium in between for what I need. Right tool for the right job.

I got a big farm boss saw as well Jbird. I still find myself short barred and under powered most the time with this lil topping saw. JMO

To each their own - you said you wanted "balls" that farm boss should do the trick!

To each their own - you said you wanted "balls" that farm boss should do the trick!
Oh it does. But even for hinging and small jobs I wish I went with a 16 inch bar saw with more power. They aren't that much heavier

Thanks everyone for your input! I think I'm going tomorrow and picking up a new saw and just wanted some of your thoughts and they just reaffirmed what I was thinking.

A Stihl man myself. I've had an MS 390 - 20" bar for about 15 yrs. now and it's a beast for cutting tons of firewood and felling. It's NOT a good saw for limbing and higher hinging. Too heavy for much repetition. The nice thing about Stihl is they have saws for about any application and dealers / service locations all over the place. As long as you service it well and keep air filter clean, chains sharp - no reason it won't last for YEARS. Sharp chains save engine overworking. Learn to file / sharpen your chains correctly, or have them done by a pro.

Thanks everyone for your input! I think I'm going tomorrow and picking up a new saw and just wanted some of your thoughts and they just reaffirmed what I was thinking.

PM Jordan and buy his saw. You will be happy and he can get something bigger.

Maybe you can get a "Balls" accessory!