All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New chainsaw help

PM Jordan and buy his saw. You will be happy and he can get something bigger.
If he was a little closer this would be a great idea, I think shipping would make it not so good of a deal.

I have the Husqvarna 435 with a 16" bar. It was the lightest saw I could find. 9.2 pounds without the bar and chain.
$279. It has plenty of power and is light enough you can cut all day.

My Echo cs-352 is around 8.6lbs and will likely out cut that husky. :) They've come up in price lately, but I got mine for about $240 out the door back in 2011.

If you're after balls, get into a 90cc. It'll put a smile on your face.

Remember to get your safety eq.

PM Jordan and buy his saw. You will be happy and he can get something bigger.

This^^ I hired a tree trimmer to take down two trees in my yard last year, they were a little too close to the house and power line for me to mess with....I've always wanted to get a "bucket saw" like Jordan has, so I'm watching this tree trimmer last spring while he is going to town on these trees. I then notice he is using a Stihl MS192(the kind of saw I want to get) for 95% of his cutting and I will say this, I was very impressed with that little saw.

Last edited:
I have a tree business and run a Stihl 192 all the time. Jordan- you should get it tuned- I think they sell them so that Joe Homeowner won't cut his own head off with it while one-handing it. And, the chain must be SHARP. If you want a top-handle with some balls, spend double (at least) and get a 201c.
Scott, if I were you I would go with a 170 or 180 with a 14" bar. A lot of guys try to run more chain than the saw should, and are disappointed when the saw won't spin it like they want.

I went in this A.M. and bought a Stihl MS 170 with a 14' bar, extra chain, helmet they had to order it but it should be here tomorrow. Thanks for all your input.

That sounds like a good saw too. I used my brothers Huskie 445 for an hour last Sunday and didn't like it. Too heavy for me. I've got 6 or 7 more large trees on my property to cut down. Once they're down I really don't have any need for anything high cc. I'd rather go light and work longer days.

I bought it because it had the most power of anything that was under 10# with bar and chain and full of fluids. About a year later I did some muffler work on it and removed the carb limiters and properly tuned it. She's a little banshee now. It won't pull like a 60cc in big trees, but anything under 8" it cuts just as fast with 50% less weight to handle.

I went in this A.M. and bought a Stihl MS 170 with a 14' bar, extra chain, helmet they had to order it but it should be here tomorrow. Thanks for all your input.
Do you have a set of chaps? Kind of a pain to wear and get use to wearing but one trip to the ER & you wish you had them on. safety eq..jpg Don't be this guy.

Last edited:
I just had mine upfitted with a better belt. No more saggy chaps for me. :) Made a big difference in comfort too.

I have a tree business and run a Stihl 192 all the time. Jordan- you should get it tuned- I think they sell them so that Joe Homeowner won't cut his own head off with it while one-handing it. And, the chain must be SHARP. If you want a top-handle with some balls, spend double (at least) and get a 201c.
Scott, if I were you I would go with a 170 or 180 with a 14" bar. A lot of guys try to run more chain than the saw should, and are disappointed when the saw won't spin it like they want.
Tks Jeff. I will look into it..
I used a commercial grade echo top handle saw once. Can't remember which model but that thing ran like a stiped ass ape! Seems like it cut better than my stihl..

Do you have a set of chaps? Kind of a pain to wear and get use to wearing but one trip to the ER & you wish you had them on. View attachment 3718 Don't be this guy.
I got bit by a chainsaw on the thigh when I was in my late teens. Cool scar is the only the good about that! I still don't wear chaps. Can't stand them

That is the same one I bought, I also added chaps and a helmet. You guys are wearing off on me, I have never wore chaps or a helmet before. Before many of your posts over the last three years I didn't even know chaps existed for running a chainsaw. I don't cut anything too big and have never had a close call but I figured being proactive will save me when the first close call happens.
Let me know how you like it it, I probably won't be able to use mine for at least a month:(

Does that one have the easy start?
Yes it does. pull trigger to wide open and set choke full on and the trigger stays in place. 2 cranks it tries to start, move to half choke and 1 pull starts it and then disengage the choke and hit the wood...

Do you have a set of chaps? Kind of a pain to wear and get use to wearing but one trip to the ER & you wish you had them on. View attachment 3718 Don't be this guy.
Not yet, that's next check. Like Chummer above I have never had all the safety equipment until now. Thanks Tooln

Not yet, that's next check. Like Chummer above I have never had all the safety equipment until now. Thanks Tooln
No problem, I don't want to see anyone get hurt.

A good alternative to chaps is "safety pants." For about the same price ($70.00) you can get the pants. They are easy to put on, resist snow and water, don't snag, ride up or get caught on limbs as easily as chaps and still provide protection. They can get a little warm once temps get above freezing, but a good alternative if you don't like chaps.

And PLEASE.....wear a safety helmet. A 2" diameter limb no more than a foot long falling from 40' can put a man to his knees leaving a hell of a bump on his head. Don't ask me how I know.........:(

A good alternative to chaps is "safety pants."
Are those are the ones for old folks that can't hold it anymore?;)
Just kidding, seriously guys, this chainsaw stuff can go south in a blink of an eye. Having pretty much grown up living in the woods, I have ran chainsaws since I was 13. I've never wore chaps over the years that I ran a saw on dad's place whether cutting for habitat or firewood(and we burned a lot when I was a kid), but we usually cut in the winter time after the deer season and I always had on 3 or 4 layers including a heavy set of Carhartts(not that they will stop a saw by any stretch). I did have a close call when a saw kicked back and caught the bill of my baseball cap, ripping it from my head. Immediate lesson learned that day. Put down the saw and drove straight to the hardware store in town and bought a helmet with a face shield. Wore that religiously from that point on.