Setting up a new property

Kywildlifer

Buck Fawn
Hello, new to the forum, recently purchased this property 2 years ago. Looking for better ways to hunt it but mostly ways to build it into a habitat that is better suited for wildlife. So far it seems to hunt the best during the rut with little to no buck activity before then. Mild hunting pressure in the area. Thanks in advance for any advice and I’d love to answer any questions about the property if needed.
28b5a959e596ecdb0aad6bfc0d3a09e5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like a nice property, what are the details. I’m assuming ky? If so me too.

Sounds like we are in the same boat. I’ve waited two years before doing anything permanent and have learned a lot. The laundry list is now long and I’m ready to get a start.
For me I’ve noticed a drop off in deer on the property once we get into October, so I’m looking at food plots for fall / winter food sources.
I’m also planning on putting in some water holes. There is not a ton of water near me.
I have a similar buck problem. Don’t see them much until rut. Looking for ideas there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Looks like a nice property, what are the details. I’m assuming ky? If so me too.
Yes Central Kentucky, little over a 100 acres was hunted to death prior to purchasing has a history of mature bucks. Both years having it have had daylight pictures of 3.5-4.5 year old bucks only after Halloween though. Not much food in the area other than hay fields and oak trees

Attachments

• 2AF4521C-C578-423B-B6DA-699D635210E7.jpeg
    2AF4521C-C578-423B-B6DA-699D635210E7.jpeg
    282.1 KB · Views: 13
There’s of course a limitless list of things you could do… Without even getting into timber stand improvement, IMO some food plots for early season, and some food plots for late season are relatively easy. Doesn’t necessarily require any heavy equipment, just some potential soil amendment, knowing when to spray the weeds, and broadcasting the right seed mixes down. If that was my place, most every available acre of grass is going into either foodplots or forbes / warm season grass mixes (which doesn’t get in the way of fruit trees or whatever other fun stuff down the road either).

Edit: One challenge I see here is food plots with prevailing westerly winds headed into the timber, but you don’t need to hunt food plots for them to improve general deer presence and movement in the area.

Last edited:
Find Nativehunter's property tour thread. Read it from start to finish. When you are done, read it again. 😂