Saddle hunting

Telemark

5 year old buck +
So I'm finally going to buy a saddle and start practicing with it for next year. Planning to hunt at least three countries next season, and I really want something mobile and adaptable that I can travel with. My clothes and boots already take up a fair amount of space in my suitcase, so I have limited room for gear. I think a saddle along with studying animal behavior will give me the best odds of success.

I'm looking to purchase the saddle by January, which will give me about 8 months to practice with the saddle and prep trees before the Norwegian season starts on September 1st.

Any and all information, experiences, advice, etc. is welcome. Thanks in advance.

This was my first year saddle hunting. A few lessons I learned:

- It takes a longer to get set up and taken down than it seems like it should. I was over 10 minutes from the time I got to the tree to the time I was actually ready to hunt. It was certainly more work than getting to a tree and climbing something that's already there. Sometimes it felt worth it, sometimes I just wished I had a stand I could just climb up.

- It's tough to be quiet while setting up.

- I bought 3-step steps rather than 2-steps with an aider. I think I'd still go 3-steps, but I'd look for something lighter weight than I bought (XOP). My pack was pretty heavy with 4 sets of steps, a platform, ropes, coats, food, etc.

- I had practiced just a couple times before going on a real hunt, and that first real hunt was a noisy cluster-F that was pretty frustrating. You certainly work out your system as you do it more, so practicing when it doesn't count is pretty helpful.

- Don't get sweaty getting set up. That saddle keeps you pretty bunched up, and I got rashes where I didn't want rashes :).

Pretty much everyone I know with a saddle set up quit using them within a couple years

I have no idea what you guys are even talking about.

I had one of those original saddles that eberhardt sold. Used it one time and gave it away. If I need to be mobile I have a lone wolf climber or a small hang on with stacking steps

You find a tree branch about the width of a horses back and get a saddle and bring it up the tree and straddle the branch. It’s all the rage
Giddy up!

I had a couple new places to hunt this year, and rather than hang a bunch of stands in unfamiliar places, I just moved around quite a bit based on the wind and deer movement. I think it's hard to beat a tree saddle for mobility - a horse saddle maybe not so much :). Now that I know these properties better, I'll definitely hang some more permanent stands and use those more often than the saddle, but it's still nice to have as an option.

. I think it's hard to beat a tree saddle for mobility

That's the big thing for me in the next few years. I have a ground blind for places that don't have trees, and I want to get a saddle for places that do have trees. Most places I will hunt have trees, especially tall straight trees like maple, beech, pine, and spruce.

I will probably get a set of sticks, but I do plan to prep some trees in advance with screw-in steps. Seems like you can get them for a dollar each. I also wondered about just using decking screws and a chunk of wood as steps; I will definitely try it out.

That's the big thing for me in the next few years. I have a ground blind for places that don't have trees, and I want to get a saddle for places that do have trees. Most places I will hunt have trees, especially tall straight trees like maple, beech, pine, and spruce.

I will probably get a set of sticks, but I do plan to prep some trees in advance with screw-in steps. Seems like you can get them for a dollar each. I also wondered about just using decking screws and a chunk of wood as steps; I will definitely try it out.
So just curious, if you have those tall straight largely branchless trees would you consider a climber? I promise you I can be faster, quieter, higher, and more comfortable in my lone wolf alpha than anyone with a saddle. Where a saddle or hang on would beat me is in like Kansas or Montana river bottom type trees.

So just curious, if you have those tall straight largely branchless trees would you consider a climber? I promise you I can be faster, quieter, higher, and more comfortable in my lone wolf alpha than anyone with a saddle. Where a saddle or hang on would beat me is in like Kansas or Montana river bottom type trees.

I did consider it. They were too large, loud, and heavy. I'm planning to hunt Norway, Ohio, Ontario, and possibly 3 or 4 other places in Europe and North America. I agree climbers are more comfortable; my cousin let my try his. But I didn't feel it was particularly safe, and it was huge and heavy compared to a saddle. Is there a new type out there I should be looking at?

... Ok I just Googled the Lone Wolf Alpha. It's certainly different from the old climbers I'm used to, but it's still a huge chunk of metal. It's probably a good option for North America, but it seems a bit too big to just pack in a suitcase or a backpack. The terrain in Norway is steep mountains, and it often requires 6 to 10 miles of walking through rather thick juniper scrub.

Last edited:
I did consider it. They were too large, loud, and heavy. I'm planning to hunt Norway, Ohio, Ontario, and possibly 3 or 4 other places in Europe and North America. I agree climbers are more comfortable; my cousin let my try his. But I didn't feel it was particularly safe, and it was huge and heavy compared to a saddle. Is there a new type out there I should be looking at?
You are spot on for 99% of them. Big clunky heavy awkward but dang comfortable. Lone wolf made some when they were around. Super light and fast and safe and quiet. I hunt hang ons most of the time but this is my mobile set up. The problem is you would have to buy one used. The problem with the saddle is it’s slow and if you want to get above 12’ you have to carry a bunch of crap. You have stuff hanging all off you to set sticks up the tree and then reverse process on the way down. It’s mobile but not efficient to me. Plus most of the time you stick out like a sore thumb.

If you're looking to save a few bucks and aren't all-in on saddle hunting, look at the XOP Edge saddle kit. I don't think it's as nice or comfortable as Tethrd or other saddle companies, but it gets you everything you need except sticks (ropes, platform, saddle) for under $200. I think I even got mine on sale cheaper than that. It's got all the basics for less than half the price of the other brands.

I'd rather do that an get a set of sticks plus that cheaper saddle kit rather than get an expensive saddle and still need a way to get up the tree. By going with screw in steps, you lose some of the mobility. I found myself moving by just a tree or two after seeing deer movement, so it's nice to not be committed to a tree.

I hunt with a saddle on both public and private land, and have been doing this for the past 4 years. If I was hunting land that only I had access to, I would still use a saddle, but have pre-set platforms. I think for an archery hunter, they are the very best setup out there. I have rifle hunted with it and feel like there is no disadvantage to using a saddle, other than possibly lacking a shooting rail in certain positions (which may not exist anyways with most hang-ons).

I have a Tethrd Phantom with suspenders for the saddle, Cruzr seaker for the platform, and use Hawk Helium climbing sticks (I would change to Tethrd Skeletors if I was buying new right now). I use Ropeman 1's for my lineman's belt and Tether. Having both is extremely helpful when climbing trees with multiple branches.

Advantages for a saddle:
* Safer than any other climbing and hunting method when in a tree I know of currently.
* lighter and more compact than a climber or hang-on stand (I have used all three)
* Easier to set up than a hang-on
* Have tree between you and animal as it approaches
* more versatile for getting into more trees - less concern for branches or forks in trees
* shoot in 360 range
* It is muuuuch easier to self-film archery hunts in a saddle than in a hang-on
* It is convenient if you want to hunt with two people for whatever reason from a lone ladder stand. I have done this with a few of my nephews for their first hunts.

Disadvantages for a saddle (compared to hang-on stands):
* Cost - I am a fan of buy once, cry once, so I have bought mostly top of the line things. I think just the saddle and platform gear I paid around $700. Climbing sticks would be another 250.
* Comfort - The longest sit that I have had has been around 5 hours. I think I could an all day sit, but I have never tried. In some ways the saddle is more comfortable than many hang-ons, but I have a Millenium 250 that I have to admit is very hard to beat in this category.
* You still can't get into every tree. Some trees that lean away from where you want your platform can be a challenge. I think hang-ons had an advantage here, but saddles work better with trees that lean slight towards you, so it is likely a wash.
* I feel like you might actually move more simply because you can. I find myself moving quite a bit more when I am bored than if I was just sitting there.

I feel like I have quite a bit of experience when hunting from a saddle. Probably around 100 setups across the last 4 years on both public and private land. Ask away if you have any other questions.

Last edited:
I have more equipment in the tree with me than most, but here is an example of one of my setups:
1701381330912.png
Nowadays I put my pack where the camera arm and base is, and put the camera up above my tether.

Here is my platform. I don't typically use the kneepads unless it is going to be a longer sit:
1701381487033.png

Nice setup - how quickly can you get from the ground to ready-to-hunt? One thing I noticed is that it was more time consuming and noisier to get set up in the saddle compared to a pre-hung stand. Maybe a notch for hang ons in that regard.

Now that I have a saddle, I'll be doing a mix of both. Stands in known good locations for convenience and saddle when I want to try something new or the wind isn't right for something pre-hung.

Nice setup - how quickly can you get from the ground to ready-to-hunt? One thing I noticed is that it was more time consuming and noisier to get set up in the saddle compared to a pre-hung stand. Maybe a notch for hang ons in that regard.

Now that I have a saddle, I'll be doing a mix of both. Stands in known good locations for convenience and saddle when I want to try something new or the wind isn't right for something pre-hung.
Most of the time from arriving to the tree to pulling my bow up (final step) it is around 15-20 minutes, even in the dark. If it is an easy tree I can probably do everything in about 10-12 minutes. A hang-on might be a minute or two faster, but it depends on the type and whether or not you are using a harness. Assuming everyone is wearing a harness (as they probably should), it is a wash for length of time.

I think it is quieter than hanging a hang-on stand, but that is because it is less bulk. More bulk means more branches getting hit; there is also more surface area of metal to potentially hit something else. It definitely takes practice if you are used to only using hang-ons. Both hang-ons on saddles need practice compared to permanent setups. I would imagine climbing and hanging anything would be slower than a pre-hung stand (?). I am not sure I understand that statement. If you have your platform in place already, it takes the same amount of time to climb to a platform as it does to a hang-on stand.

Yeah - I was comparing a saddle to a pre-hung hang-on stands. Maybe that's a different comparison than you were making. It's hard to beat the mobility of a saddle and hard to beat the convenience of a pre-hung stand - or I suppose a pre-hung platform and steps.

If you're looking to save a few bucks and aren't all-in on saddle hunting, look at the XOP Edge saddle kit. I don't think it's as nice or comfortable as Tethrd or other saddle companies, but it gets you everything you need except sticks (ropes, platform, saddle) for under $200. I think I even got mine on sale cheaper than that. It's got all the basics for less than half the price of the other brands.

I'd rather do that an get a set of sticks plus that cheaper saddle kit rather than get an expensive saddle and still need a way to get up the tree. By going with screw in steps, you lose some of the mobility. I found myself moving by just a tree or two after seeing deer movement, so it's nice to not be committed to a tree.

Seems promising. I'll take a closer look at that.

Agree generally with what @Hoytvectrix said. I prefer the comfort of a mobile hang-on most of the time. My rifles don't have slings and i think that or a way for something to hold your rifle is a must or its a PITA holding it all day in a saddle. Cant put it on your lap like a stand.

I had a tethrd phantom saddle to start but got pretty significant hip pinch. I use a cruzr saddle now and find it more comfortable.

I primarily use a saddle in specific sets where sitting on the front of a tree leaves me more exposed than is ideal or if i'm going to be walking through thick brush that i don't want to carry a stand platform through. Otherwise i'd rather use my XOP mobile stand. I use the saddle as my safety harness even in pre-set hang on or ladder stands.

I use 4 2-step Hawk Helium sticks, 2 of which have aiders added to them. I use the sticks with aiders as the bottom 2. This gets me plenty high, sometimes i only carry 3 sticks. They are a good option for the $ but agree with Hoyt that the tethrd skeletors look like nice sticks.

Last edited: