Odor control

I'd venture to say that you get picked-off a lot more than you think you do. Some deer that smell you may be 2 hundred or more yards away and you never knew they were even there. Just because they don't snort doesn't mean we weren't busted.
But the most frequent "pick-off" that happens is when we aren't even in our stand. It happens hours or days after we've left. IMO, it's the residual odors that screw us the most. A clean hunter leaves less residual odor which dissipates sooner which leads to a less educated deer herd. Educated deer are a lot harder to hunt than uneducated ones.

Agreed 100%.
That grassy hillside is usually 1/4 to 1/2 mile long before getting to cover at the bottom. My routine is to sneak to the top of the hill, glass the bottom and feeder draws to make sure nothing can spot me walking in. I wear elimitrax overboots/leggings (these are the only way I've ever found to keep deer and coyotes from catching my scent trail). I hunt with the wind in my face and the hill to my back, at the edge of the cover. I don't touch grass, sticks, or anything with my hands. I watch the hillside to my back while hunting. The only critters that pass across my walk-in trail are usually coyotes, since wearing overboots they don't wind me anymore (they use to). I glass before I leave to make sure I don't get spotted. I walk out using a different path and once again don't touch stuff.

I don't hunt based on deer sign, I don't scout on site during season. I don't run trail cameras at hunting sites. I basically don't do anything that disturbs the area I hunt. I pick spots that I can hunt without disturbance rather than where I think deer are at.

Having access to the land that I do affords me the opportunity to hunt outside of where the deer frequent without stepping foot into "their" area's. I use to hunt in the trees, along the creek bottoms, on the edge of the forest, at the top of the bluff, or on the edge of ag fields. I found that my first hunt was always my best hunt in that stand. Every hunt after that had less and less sightings (especially mature bucks). This was when I was crazy about scent reduction. With the way I hunt now I don't see a burn-out on stand locations like I use to. I'm just as likely to see mature deer on the 10th hunt on site as the 1st. It's a method that works for me. I like it. I see more of the deer that I want to see, more bobcats, more coyotes, and have started shooting older deer on a more consistent basis. Not saying at all that your method isn't great and the best way to approach your particular terrain, it just isn't how I hunt anymore.
ac0b01263edbd3311bb62ec8850936d5.jpg

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I look at most things with the law of diminishing returns in mind....at some point, no matter what the subject is, the effort outweighs the return.

The two variables in this equation are very different to each one of us; What one values greatly, another sees as worthless. What one sees as too much effort, others see as critically important.

To me, simple steps to minimize odors are enough and beyond that, I won't see a jump in deer encounters to make it worth the investment in both time and money. You have seen a big enough jump to make that investment worth it. You probably value those handful of extra encounters more than me, whereas I probably value time spent exploring new areas more than you, and not seeing deer is not time wasted for me....same deal.....30 extra minutes at home preparing is worth it to you for your results, whereas 30 extra minutes afield is more important to me for what I get out of it.

I hope that makes sense. I am certainly not attacking you or your process...internet has a way of pitting each other against one another, when that is not the intent.

Last edited:
I look at most things with the law of diminishing returns in mind....at some point, no matter what the subject is, the effort outweighs the return.

The two variables in this equation are very different to each one of us; What one values greatly, another sees as worthless. What one sees as too much effort, others see as critically important.

To me, simple steps to minimize odors are enough and beyond that, I won't see a jump in deer encounters to make it worth the investment in both time and money. You have seen a big enough jump to make that investment worth it. You probably value those handful of extra encounters more than me, whereas I probably value time spent exploring new areas more than you, and not seeing deer is not time wasted for me....same deal.....30 extra minutes at home preparing is worth it to you for your results, whereas 30 extra minutes afield is more important to me for what I get out of it.

I hope that makes sense. I am certainly not attacking you or your process...internet has a way of pitting each other against one another, when that is not the intent.

And I certainly didn't think that you were attacking me. You just have a differing opinion on the importance of this topic. You weren't name calling or insulting in the least. And even if you were, that's okay, I can take it. Let 'er rip:)
I try to always keep in mind, with any forum thread, that it isn't just 2 people sending private messages back and forth. There are (hopefully) a lot of others reading and (hopefully) learning, including myself. And most hopefully, at least thinking about the discussion. And I love the discussions whether they be about odor, plots, weeds, ethics, crossbows, you name it. I enjoy thinking and learning about all this stuff and hearing other opinions.

I agree 100% about diminishing returns. In my estimation, for my hunting enjoyment, I believe I am getting a good return on my investment. I also consider hunting prep, whether it's practicing shooting, sharpening my broad heads, scouting, odor practices, and 90 other things, as an enjoyable part of the hunt. It's all part of the chase. Like I said earlier, hunting is all just a collection of dealing with small details. I consider odor reduction one of the easier details. And, other than basic personal hygiene, it's only for a few weeks. I don't do a lot of this stuff year round. Now, that would get old.
Good luck to you.