Scent-Lok

Mortenson

5 year old buck +
I still have my Scent-Lok carbon odor elimination liner suit. It's over 20 years old. I stopped wearing it a few years ago. Looking at it now and surprisingly all the elastic is still good. Is there any chance this liner still does what it claimed it could do? Is it expired now? Did it ever even work to begin with? About to pitch it, but maybe I should be wearing it. Thanks.

Don't pitch it. I'll take it of you don't want it.

The website says you can reactivate it by putting it in the dryer for 40 minutes.

It's just a garmit now, probaly has uses but not as scent elemination. Even if taken care of very properly it will only be able to absorb odors for a small period of time. Maybe it can be rejuvinated a few times in a hot enough dryer but not indefinatly. There's all kinds of special considerations that must be used to keep a scent-lok working but typicaly if you get a second season out of the scent absorbing properties you'd be doing pretty good. Of course theres no real way to prove any of it.

I had those bad boys too. Gimmick but it was clothing at least. I wouldn’t throw it away unless you just don’t need any hunting gear.

Still wear mine. But they stay in the ozone room. smell like ozone when I wear them like everything else I have on. Best case scenario they absorb and hold more ozone stink. But I doubt it.

Total fools gold !
a deer downwind of you will smell your breath, it is fresh bacteria coming straight out of your lungs / mouth.

human ground scent is eaten by bacteria after 10 minutes.

broken vegetation ground scent is what remains after that. It freaks some deer out, but some not so much.
I’m sure any seasoned hunter has watched a deer follow their ground trail… until they get downwind of your breath, then it’s insta busted.

I still wear some of the scent lock items. Still gotta play the wind. I think it is more important to shower good before going out bowhunting.

Total fools gold !
a deer downwind of you will smell your breath, it is fresh bacteria coming straight out of your lungs / mouth.

human ground scent is eaten by bacteria after 10 minutes.

broken vegetation ground scent is what remains after that. It freaks some deer out, but some not so much.
I’m sure any seasoned hunter has watched a deer follow their ground trail… until they get downwind of your breath, then it’s insta busted.
What is "broken vegetation ground scent"

The earth smells different where it has been distubed (usually by someone walking) than where it hasn't been disturbed. A deer or a dog can pick that up no problem.

What is "broken vegetation ground scent"
Think of like what fresh cut grass smells like. But a deer can smell that grass was just stepped on. When plant cells are “injured” they give of a scent, like a hormone, when healing.

Scentlock is full of scent before it leaves the store. No way you are removing the scent from the carbon unless you can heat it to a 1000 degrees or so. Ozone MAYBE but I doubt it. The military uses carbon suits. They are sealed before use and discarded.

Scentlock is full of scent before it leaves the store. No way you are removing the scent from the carbon unless you can heat it to a 1000 degrees or so. Ozone MAYBE but I doubt it. The military uses carbon suits. They are sealed before use and discarded.
In the early days they would send your scent lok in a sealed plastic bag, there was hope that it might work then. Later it stared showing up in an unsealed bag and all hope was lost.

They still work in Michigan though. All the 1.5 year old bucks can’t smell you during the rut. (Sarcasm)

I don't know if I'm buying the broken vegetation scent theory. I have a electric bike and breaks vegetation and when the deer cut the track they don't wigout. If they cut your track if you walked in with rubber boots it's game over. ( Unless were talking about yearlings.

I don't know if I'm buying the broken vegetation scent theory. I have a electric bike and breaks vegetation and when the deer cut the track they don't wigout. If they cut your track if you walked in with rubber boots it's game over. ( Unless were talking about yearlings.
I’ve heard about it from expert dog trackers, and they say a deer’s nose is better that a dog’s.

your e-bike might be laying down a different track that confuses the deer, Verses big foot prints 2 feet apart.

and as I originally stated some deer will freak out at the 1st sign of something not right, and others won’t be so bothered.
it would also seem reasonable that a skittish deer would live longer, so yes a mature deer would be more likely to alarm at anything they don’t like.

idk, do what you want. I try to have the best access I can, and Hunt downwind of where I expect deer to be.