Saddle hunting

Agree generally with what @Hoytvectrix said. I prefer the comfort of a mobile hang-on most of the time. My rifles don't have slings and i think that or a way for something to hold your rifle is a must or its a PITA holding it all day in a saddle. Cant put it on your lap like a stand.

I had a tethrd phantom saddle to start but got pretty significant hip pinch. I use a cruzr saddle now and find it more comfortable.

I primarily use a saddle in specific sets where sitting on the front of a tree leaves me more exposed than is ideal or if i'm going to be walking through thick brush that i don't want to carry a stand platform through. Otherwise i'd rather use my XOP mobile stand. I use the saddle is my safety harness even in pre-set hang on or ladder stands.

I use 4 2-step Hawk Helium sticks, 2 of which have aiders added to them. I use the sticks with aiders as the bottom 2. This gets me plenty high, sometimes i only carry 3 sticks. They are a good option for the $ but agree with Hoyt that the tethrd skeletors look like nice sticks.
Admittedly I have not tried other saddles. I would definitely recommend anyone that is interested in saddle hunting to try a few on first. I initially had that same pinch issue, but eventually found how to change the angle with the bridge and it wasn't much of an issue after.

My Heliums are more bulky than I would like. They are the three step versions and I only every use 3 sticks. I do have aiders for each but have moved away from using them.

Home farm, pre-set is the way to go.

Travel, saddle no question

I would definitely recommend anyone that is interested in saddle hunting to try a few on first.

Where can I do that?

The more I spend still hunting and stump sitting…….

The more I enjoy still hunting and stump sitting.

Happy Holidays

I do that a lot in Norway. I hunt a rugged terrain that is about 2000 acres. The ground is covered mostly with moss and heather, and it's a great place to sneak up on a hind or stalk in on a roaring stag.

The properties I can hunt in US and Canada are between 40 and 300 acres, and mostly open woods with a layer of crispy dead leaves on the ground. It's a bit more difficult to move around effectively because of limited access. Movement seems to be focused on food, so I try to intercept movement to and from food sources. But it's very difficult to hunt from the ground in those conditions.

I find it a little strange that when people talk about saddle hunting they also include climbing method as if it's exclusive to saddle hunting. I tend to view them separately most of the time. From reading the OP's intended uses, I would recommend looking into one-sticking as a climbing method. Tree bolts may be equally or more portable but not everywhere allows putting holes in trees. I don't normally walk in more than a mile so I've been getting along well enough with a set of Hawk Helium 3 step sticks and a carry as you go aider. I don't like having the aider attached to the stick because they swing in the breeze. I have had deer come in while I'm partially up the tree and I've been able to finish my setup without spooking them.

While in the tree, I prefer a platform but a ring of steps or bolts would likely be more portable. When one-sticking to climb, many people use the top of the stick.

Check out saddlehunter.com to find people in your area, or areas you travel to, that are willing to let you try their saddle. I haven't been on the site for a couple of years but at the time it wasn't too hard to find someone willing to help a guy out. I have a thetrd phantom and cruzr xc. The phantom is more portable but the cruzr is more comfortable for me so that's the one I use the most. I'd probably try a two panel design if I were getting a new one. Seems like it wouldn't feel like wearing a diaper as much but still have the comfort of the expandable.

I use 8 mm ropes for my linemans and tether with a CT roll n lock. I believe I went with the roll n lock over a ropeman 1 because of the rope diameter but I could be misremembering.

Definitely get a HYS strap so you have a place to hang your shit.

I find it a little strange that when people talk about saddle hunting they also include climbing method as if it's exclusive to saddle hunting. I tend to view them separately most of the time. From reading the OP's intended uses, I would recommend looking into one-sticking as a climbing method. Tree bolts may be equally or more portable but not everywhere allows putting holes in trees. I don't normally walk in more than a mile so I've been getting along well enough with a set of Hawk Helium 3 step sticks and a carry as you go aider. I don't like having the aider attached to the stick because they swing in the breeze. I have had deer come in while I'm partially up the tree and I've been able to finish my setup without spooking them.

While in the tree, I prefer a platform but a ring of steps or bolts would likely be more portable. When one-sticking to climb, many people use the top of the stick.

Check out saddlehunter.com to find people in your area, or areas you travel to, that are willing to let you try their saddle. I haven't been on the site for a couple of years but at the time it wasn't too hard to find someone willing to help a guy out. I have a thetrd phantom and cruzr xc. The phantom is more portable but the cruzr is more comfortable for me so that's the one I use the most. I'd probably try a two panel design if I were getting a new one. Seems like it wouldn't feel like wearing a diaper as much but still have the comfort of the expandable.

I use 8 mm ropes for my linemans and tether with a CT roll n lock. I believe I went with the roll n lock over a ropeman 1 because of the rope diameter but I could be misremembering.

Definitely get a HYS strap so you have a place to hang your shit.
This is all spot on and really good advice. I think people talk about climbing method with saddle hunting so much because the nearest thing to compare it to is a climber tree stand that doesn't need the climbing method.

I tried using a ring of steps but just felt like I could never get as comfortable than with a platform. At some point I would like to go down to that thinner diameter rope for the lineman's belt and my tether. I wish I had known about them sooner. I also don't typically hunt more than a mile in either, but I just can't stand how bulky my climbing sticks are. I ran out of time before the season started but I started messing around with some squirrel steps that were strapped to the tree for a climbing method to still be fully public legal.

Where can I do that?
I would go to any of the major deer classics or hunting expos this winter. All of the main saddle manufacturers have setups there where you can try on different saddles all at once. Unfortunately many of the saddle manufacturers are direct to consumer so going and trying them out at a bow shop or Cabela's is not very practical.

I used a saddle back when there was just one brand selling them and couldn't sit still for any length of time. I gave it a good go but could't get comfertable ever. Not everyone is gonna be able to use one, also you may have to sit in several different makes to find one that fits you corectly. Mine cost me a decent buck cuz it walked to the wrong side of the tree and I had to totaly reposision. In a regular stand u can shuffle your feet and shoot around the back of the tree but the saddle requires more movement to get repositioned.

It seems there are straps that you can have around your back under your armpits. Anyone tried something like that? Looks comfy.

It seems there are straps that you can have around your back under your armpits. Anyone tried something like that? Looks comfy.
Yeah I have one from tethred. I've used it a few times but honestly it hasn't really been needed. It's always in my pack in case I end up doing an all-day sit which hasn't happened yet.

Last edited:
for anyone looking at trying saddle hunting for the first time , Tethrd will have some pretty attractive new items in a saddle and accessories in 2024.

I use my recliner strap on longer sits. It attaches to the carabineer on my tether. It helps with comfort but requires a little movement to get it to drop out of the way when preparing for a shot. I've seen ones that attach to the bridge and think that may put the straps at a better angle so a guy can shoot without interference, but have not had the opportunity to try that style yet.

I’m learned how to hunt using a saddle 10 - 5 years ago. Also a certified tower climber / rescue instructor. Was an contributor on saddlehunter.com before it was Tetherd and just Ernie and Greg. I’d like to say I helped the community do some things a little bit safer.

Now I’m in a climber (use a crossbow - gasp!)

Cons (Never discussed):

You degrade you best asset - your vision. You have a big tree sitting in front of you at 12 o’clock. You have to look at your left/right and and your visual “pickup” is degraded.

You will get busted. Deer are scared by humans when we are standing up. If you are standing in a tree you look like a human in a tree.

Not as comfortable as a climber. More comfortable than a hang on. IMO. You will move more.

If I was going to get a new saddle it would be a latitude 2 panel. 8mm ropes, ropeman adjuster. Carbon platform. I have Beast sticks and like them. Four 4 hour less sits, I’d just use a platform on the sticks.

Pros:

Lighter (about 5lbs), But if you walk an hour and sit 3 hours (25% / 75%). It makes since to focus on comfort to sit still and comfortable.

Safer. And feels safer than a hang on.