Looking for a new chainsaw

Can someone link what chain they are using on the ms261 18”? The original chain was awesome, but I have been through two other chains that suck. The most recent will literally smoke when I tried to girdle a hickory this weekend. It’s very new too.

I saw that stihl recently changed their standard bars/chains on the 261s from 0.63 gauge guides to 0.50 gauge on the drive links which seems like a good idea for chain speed? r

My 261 w/ 18" bar has the bigger gauge drive links. I use whatever the full chisel spec chain is for that 18" bar. Dont recall if it's .325 or 3/8". Can look later today.

In general, Stihl has 2 types of chans ANSI low kickback and non-ansi chains. Think the low kickback has a green link, and non-ansi has a yellow link.

.325" and .63 sounds about right for my 2011-ish MS261. I'd buy nother one. Only Issue I ever had was an ignition pack dying in 2018 or so. Cut about 5 or 5 cords for 5 or 6 years. Don't heat with firewood anymore. Just cut camp wood, keep food plots clear, and maintain about 2 miles of trails. Never cleaned the carb yet either. Non-ethanol gas and silver stihl oil cans. Used to make 2 gallons with the 2.5 gallon mix container. Now I only use 1 gallon ones and do 1 gallon on the money. Always fresh gas from the pump.

Several camp members have the farm boss. For almost half the price its a good saw. 261 has about the same power it seems, just weighs less with all the magnesium parts.

2 strokes you don't change oil, you change spark plugs instead.

I abuse my saw alot too. Use it as a substitute to an excavator. Chop trunk roots so I can tug them out. Lots of old dead wood too. I go through bars often and always have a new bar and chain with me.

Last edited:
Can someone link what chain they are using on the ms261 18”? The original chain was awesome, but I have been through two other chains that suck. The most recent will literally smoke when I tried to girdle a hickory this weekend. It’s very new too.
Do you sharpen it?