Looking for a new chainsaw

ethompson

5 year old buck +
Its time for a new chainsaw. Currently I have a ms 250. Its has been an outstanding saw. Im going to keep it just use it on smaller jobs.
What Im looking for is a saw with longer bar 20"+ and more power. I have roughly 6 large oaks that are going to need to be fallen and cut up. Im not looking to spend 1K , but $600-$800.
I want to stay with stihl because its all I've had. I'm asking this group because I want a broad response on what saw to purchase.
Thanks guys.

Depending on what you expect from it, I just bought a ms-362, and I also have a ms 261, both great saws, but they are expensive saws. You may just need a 291? Depends on your needs

If you want Stihl in that price range for a 20"+ bar the only obvious choice is a 391 or you could go 311 which Stihl only recommends a 16" bar on.

My first saw was a 391 and it has served me well but it's not particularly impressive. 24" bar is kind of a lot for it so I run a 20" on it now. I've since bought a 261C-M and use an 18" bar on it. It cuts damn near as fast as the 391 and it's a lot lighter. It runs like a top and wish I would have bought one instead of the 391 years ago. Pro saw with nearly as much power but way lighter and livelier for the same price.

I'd really like a 400 or 462 for bigger bars but just dont cut that much bigger stuff and they are spendy! The 362 would be a bit cheaper but its not as impressive from a power to weight ratio and not much more power than the 391.

I just picked up a 400 with a 20" bar. I have a 20+ year old 291 Farm Boss, but wanted more power. The 400 seemed like a good trade off. Not too heavy, but more power. Only a little heaver that the ms 362, with more power. I'll probably pick up a 24 inch bar at some point. However, you are up over that $1k mark. I like the saw so far, powers through the oak logs I've cut, and will be cutting.

Stihl MS362 or Husqvarna 562. The 562 Mark 2 just came out. I wonder if you can find a deal on old stock V1.

I had run a 20 bar on my ms261 after it was broke in, it ran it ok. I run a 25 inch bar on mt 362, it handles it as well, not ideal on either, but if you arent cutting big wood all the time, it cuts it.

There are several advantages with the pro saws and the others, not just weight and power.

I had a 461, it was a big heavy saw. Unless I was cutting huge logs, I never wanted to use it. Since I have gotten the 362, and I will use it for everything, unless I am just limbing, then I use the 261.

Last edited:
I had run a 20 bar on my ms261 after it was broke in, it ran it ok. I run a 25 inch bar on mt 362, it handles it as well, not ideal on either, but if you arent cutting big wood all the time, it cuts it.

There are several advantages with the pro saws and the others, not just weight and power.

I had a 461, it was a big heavy saw. Unless I was cutting huge logs, I never wanted to use it. Since I have gotten the 362, and I will use it for everything, unless I am just limbing, then I use the 261.

Internet says the 461 was 14.8# powerhead, the 462 is now only 13.2#! My 391 power head weighs 13.67 and has way less power. That's why I want that 462, sounds like a monster for the weight.

I'm a big fan of my sample of 1 m-tronics on the 261. Runs like a freaking top all the time, never needs to be messed with.

I run Husqvarna saws but any Stihl in the 60-75 ish cc of displacement range would likely work well for your project. First column is CC’s

IMG_0733.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0732.jpeg
    IMG_0732.jpeg
    85.6 KB · Views: 11
462 is out of CX's budget. 362 is on the border line.

I have a MS-362C and it works great. I don't know the size of oaks you are cutting down, but you might be hard pressed to buy a good saw for large oak trees in your price range.

462 is out of CX's budget. 362 is on the border line.

Yes, the only saw stihl makes with that recommended bar size in the stated budget is the 391 but a guy could use a 20" on the 311 too. All the pro saws that are recommended for a 20"+ bar are over $800. Just going on some tangents here..

I have a local saw shop that beats MSRP, so something like a 362 might, if the OP does too. But don't forget to budget for an extra chain or two, and a sharpener, if you don't have one. Any saw won't cut well when the chain is dull.

I've had an MS 390 (newer model is 391) for over 20 years and it cuts any oak I've ever come across. I have a 20" bar on it, full-chisel chain, and I've dropped oaks up to 2 ft. or more in dia. with no problem. Bucking to stove length has never been a problem either, cutting for hours between breaks to eat / get a drink. Keep your chains sharp, makes it easier on your engine, & saves time in the field.

I also have an MS 180c with a 16" bar on it for smaller work. All the guys in our hunting camp run Stihl saws. FWIW.

Still running our 361 and it screams. Probably 15 years old. 90% of what I need to do these days I just grab the 201 (pro).

I have the farm boss, 18”, not very often I wished I had a longer bar. I love it though

thanks for all the remarks guys, but santa brought me a stihl 261 c-m with 20 inch blade. It is awesome.
Now you can ..... get to work!!! 😲 😁

thanks for all the remarks guys, but santa brought me a stihl 261 c-m with 20 inch blade. It is awesome.

Just wait until you burn about 10 tanks of gas through it, the power increases considerably.

Had my 261 since 2011, great saw. A little more power than the farm boss (291?), but weighs less. Only complaint is it's noisy for a saw.

Bigger saws are better, large carb jet less likely to clog up giving problems.

I have both 20 and 16" bars for it. I use the 16" 95% of the time. Only use the 20 on monster trees. Known a few people messed up from saws, so I use the smallest bar I can get by with.

My only complaint with the ms261 is the chain size, I wish it came with 3/8” chain. I find myself having to sharpen it a lot more than my other saws that are 3/8”.

I know you can switch it over, but I already have like 3 bars and a hand full of chains for it. Other then that it is lightweight and really rips.