Great Chainsaw review :-)

WeedyJ

5 year old buck +
Saw this review when looking at lighter chainsaws:

"I bought a Stihl MS 194 T chain saw so I can use it with one hand. It works great when I get it running. It's probable not hard to start. I'm just losing my strength at 85 years old."

I want to write that someday. Heck, I can't one arm a chainsaw at MY age! Not only that, if I DID one arm a saw, I'd probably be one legged after that! Also, I still want to be out there at 85 !

"I bought a Stihl MS 194 T chain saw so I can use it with one hand. It works great when I get it running. It's probable not hard to start. I'm just losing my strength at 85 years old."

I want to write that someday. Heck, I can't one arm a chainsaw at MY age! Not only that, if I DID one arm a saw, I'd probably be one legged after that! Also, I still want to be out there at 85 !
That's funny. I bet you could do it. I have a husqvarna 435 t. I absolutely love that saw. It is so light I can carry and cut it all day. Lots of power for a small saw. I use one hand quite a bit. Still have all my limbs.

I like cutting with the T saws, easier on my back, and shoulders. The key is to keep the chain sharp, and not get cocky and keep reach out to far.

But I am only 51, and I have bad shoulders, and back.

My little saw is a Husqvarna 365 it’s a nice limbing saw high rpm works fine for felling ang bucking if your not in big wood. If I’m in bigger wood I use a 394

I remember as a kid watching my Grandpa run a old Clinton (D55 IIRC) chainsaw with 1 hand hanging from an old linesman belt. Not only did he have to run the throttle but he had to run the manual oiler as well. He had to be in his 70's at that time.

I should get that old Saw running again and see if it is as cool as I remember it being.

My echo CS 355T has been one of the best saws I ever owned, it starts easy since day one and 6 yrs old still fires right up, it eats though larger wood than expected like its a full sized saw so much so I almost never use larger saws unless I need a larger bar saw!

was one of the few things I have bought in the past 10 yrs that has held up so well and was worth the cost IMO!

a lot of junk out there any more, no matter the price tag!, its just nice to find something that lasts and was worth buying !(5 yr warranty on it too) much longer than many other brands!
and I own and have owned many top tier saws, and this this has been as good or better!

I hate to say it, but my favorite saw, is a 18 in Poulan Wildthing. I think it is an early 2000's model, it is light, it has always started, never ran bad, and can cut through a 16" oak log.

I had purchased another Poulan about 10 years later, and it was junk, compared to this earlier saw. I do own a few Stihl saws, and if I am out dropping trees, or cutting up a bunch of larger wood, I grab a Stihl, but for some quick tree trimming, or smaller TSI work, the old Wildthing is my go to, it has never failed me.

My echo CS 355T has been one of the best saws I ever owned, it starts easy since day one and 6 yrs old still fires right up, it eats though larger wood than expected like its a full sized saw so much so I almost never use larger saws unless I need a larger bar saw!

was one of the few things I have bought in the past 10 yrs that has held up so well and was worth the cost IMO!

a lot of junk out there any more, no matter the price tag!, its just nice to find something that lasts and was worth buying !(5 yr warranty on it too) much longer than many other brands!
and I own and have owned many top tier saws, and this this has been as good or better!

I got a 355T a couple weeks ago because my Stihl MS170 is being a turd and the MS391 is a tank that is way too much for most habitat work. Holy cow is that little bugger a workhorse. I put a full chisel chain on it and it loves to eat! Couldn't resist it after reading it comparing favorably with the 201T that costs twice as much.

I do worry a little about getting complacent with that little guy compared to a rear handle saw.

Last edited:
I hate to say it, but my favorite saw, is a 18 in Poulan Wildthing. I think it is an early 2000's model, it is light, it has always started, never ran bad, and can cut through a 16" oak log.

I had purchased another Poulan about 10 years later, and it was junk, compared to this earlier saw. I do own a few Stihl saws, and if I am out dropping trees, or cutting up a bunch of larger wood, I grab a Stihl, but for some quick tree trimming, or smaller TSI work, the old Wildthing is my go to, it has never failed me.
I can relate to that, I have an old 14" Mcculloch Eager Beaver that was my Grandpas. It just flat out always works. That said I do have a couple Stihls that are great. A mini farm boss and a farm boss with a 20" bar. Both are great saws.

My friend must of had the same junk poulan you had. We were doing hinge cuts and that saw wouldn't start. We started making fun of him. We told him to just keep poulan and poulan it should start. Haha, he didn't think it was that funny.

I got a 355T a couple weeks because my Stihl MS170 is being a turd and the MS391 is a tank that is way too much for most habitat work. Holy cow is that little bugger a workhorse. I put a full chisel chain on it and it loves to eat! Couldn't resist it after reading it comparing favorably with the 201T that costs twice as much.

I do worry a little about getting complacent with that little guy compared to a rear handle saw.
when I first got mine, I was shocked how well it worked, , it ran thru things as fast as larger saws, really impressed me for the $$ and now after being 6+ yrs I got it, and its still running as strong and starting as easy, its been a great saw, I'd buy again ina heart beat if uit ever dies

I know some folks claim its plastic case isn;t so durable, but I have dropped mine a few times and still holding up for me<
only complaint I might have is, I wise it held more fuel, but that might be due to I use it on larger jobs than maybe it was designed for!

I got a 355T a couple weeks because my Stihl MS170 is being a turd and the MS391 is a tank that is way too much for most habitat work. Holy cow is that little bugger a workhorse. I put a full chisel chain on it and it loves to eat! Couldn't resist it after reading it comparing favorably with the 201T that costs twice as much.

Man I love my 391, but it wears me out, especially if I'm trying to find footing using it in a swamp

I have to say that as I'm getting old myself, I'm more concerned about safety. I ended up with a Dewalt electric chainsaw. The first one I got had a 40v battery, and after only a few uses, there was some issue with the gears stripping inside. I sent it back for repair and they told me they stopped making that model and sent me a brand new 60v saw that uses the 20/60 flex system so I can use my existing chargers. This one works great! It is much lighter than my old Stihl 028. The problem I had with a newer Stihl was that with the new air pollution requirements and the new E-gas, the carbs are problematic. Starting was near impossible unless I ran all of the gas out of the saw each time I used it. The Dewalt is lighter and easy to handle. It also stop immediately unlike a gas saw. I would not try to cut firewood with it because of battery life, but it is great for clearing trees that fall across trails and such.

Thanks,

Jack

Man I love my 391, but it wears me out, especially if I'm trying to find footing using it in a swamp

Mine has been good to me too. Not ideal for the variety of cuts and hinging i end up doing on the property though. Wears a guy out!

If you are looking at getting a MS194T I'd recommend looking into the echo 355T too. Little cheaper, more power, longer warranty, less than a pound heavier.

Poulan is as good as any saw on the market.........for the first 20 minutes

bill

bill
I think Poulan's are very hit or miss, I have known a few guys that have them for yrs and yrs and they run problem free and I know others that they didn't make it thru a tank of fuel before having issue's , kind of get what you pay for with them, unless your a lucky person to get one that lasts!

I don't know...that review sounds kind of trollish to me. One handed chainsaw operation by an 85 year old?

bill

I shit you not, I have cut several hundred chords of wood with it, and other then replacing bars, and chains, I have done nothing to it. Starts second pull every time.