My little piece of dirt.....

How do you guys ever get fruit to last into season? My pears are just blooming now. Looks good!

How do you guys ever get fruit to last into season? My pears are just blooming now. Looks good!
I know right..I have a bunch of different kinds and a lot of them don't last till season, but Kiefer is one of the good later producing pears and also the wild pears hold well into season.

That's just like we don't even plant winter plots till about last week of September or first week of October.

I have not done much of anything at my place in last month. I have finally got my house on market about week ago. Now next week fixen to go on vacation for little over than a week. When I get home I hope my logger is ready to move in and cut some timber at my place.

I was at the local walmart and found dunstan chestnut marked 75% off.
I was with my wife in her suv and this is what it looked like.lol

My wife would let me do that in her SUV if the trees were for our yard.
For the deer, not so much. :)

Good find!

They look pretty good for this late too. Our w mart didn't get any chestnut trees, but the fruit trees they had, they didn't take care of. They looked dead when they tried to sell them at 50 percent off.

They look pretty good for this late too. Our w mart didn't get any chestnut trees, but the fruit trees they had, they didn't take care of. They looked dead when they tried to sell them at 50 percent off.
I got 3 when they first shipped them. I told my wife that no one was buying them. I kept a check on them about every week and half. I told her that I don't think people really knew anything about them and I'd go back and get about a hundred dollars worth when they go down to 75%.

They had them bunched up tight together along side fruit trees and I think that's why they look good. I think they kinda protected each other from sun drying out the pots they are in.

I'm going to keep them in a kinda Simi shady area and put straw on top of pots and keep them watered and plant this fall after it starts regular raining and cool off a bit.

Now I'm trying to plan my orchard planting.
I have 8 planted on one end of my sawtooth oak orchard .
I'm thinking of either adding onto the other orchard or starting
Another with just these dunstan chestnut trees. The ones I just bought was 12 or 13 trees (can't remember ). Either way.....just these would make a good stand alone orchard.

Now I'm trying to plan my orchard planting.
I have 8 planted on one end of my sawtooth oak orchard .
I'm thinking of either adding onto the other orchard or starting
Another with just these dunstan chestnut trees. The ones I just bought was 12 or 13 trees (can't remember ). Either way.....just these would make a good stand alone orchard.
I think you'll really like them when they get going. We've got a mostly dunstan orchard with a few Chinese and a henryi thrown in for good measure. We had male catkins on two year old dunstans this year and some are over 6' tall. If you plant any now be prepared to water them every week. We planted a few the last couple of weeks where I can water, but most will be in September.

I think you'll really like them when they get going. We've got a mostly dunstan orchard with a few Chinese and a henryi thrown in for good measure. We had male catkins on two year old dunstans this year and some are over 6' tall. If you plant any now be prepared to water them every week. We planted a few the last couple of weeks where I can water, but most will be in September.
Yep...the place I am going to plant them is to far for me to drive to water them so all of these will be held back till October for me

Every time I come up on this spot I just have to stop and appreciate this setup . I was riding checking everything out at my place and this is what it looked like this evening. Really thick on both sides.

This is one of my dunstan chestnuts that's been in the ground a couple years and it's really getting tall. That is 5 ft wire .It has a couple chestnuts coming on.

I can't wait to see how this sawtooth oak orchard turns out a few years down the road.

.I am really happy with this Japanese persimmon . I have planted 6 or 7 over the past 5 years ,and I only have 2 that is still alive
I planted this one in the late fall of 2014.

This is a close up of the Japanese persimmon fruit. I hope it keeps growing this good!

How old are the sawtooths? I've got some turkey st' s from the forestry commission I planted in 2010 I think. They probably have acorns too. I really haven't checked on them.