My little piece of dirt.....

What did you fertilize with?
I started out using regular bag fertilizer like 10-10-10 or 13-13-13. By sprinkling around the dripline. This didn't hardly help much at all. I since started using my Dibble tool and put fertilizer in some holes so it don't wash away. I tested tree spikes that same year and was amazed how well they work. Since then I have been just using tree spikes in my fruit and sawtooth orchard. More expensive but kinda easier to regulate how much to put. I still use bag fertilizer some too but really like the Dibble tool and tree spikes. It cost 1.20 or 1.80 per tree for the spikes and would be much cheaper by bag fertilizer but the spikes are fast to put down and effective

Last edited:
Boy....im tired after a good weekend working at my place. Going back this weekend and fertilizing some more. I'll b ready by then.lol

It's amazing what a little fertilizer will do.

After getting the trees planted last weekend. ...we got some rain to settle the dirt around the roots just like it happened the other day. That's always good

Well...the walmarts got shipment of dunstan chestnuts.
I planted 5 dunstan a year or so ago and one died so I bought a 7gal replacement tree.

Well....I found some dead trees in the 60 acres of timber. They had bugs Looks like we might clearcut about 5- 8 acres and thin about 45 more acres to a 70 basal thinning.
Fixen to be big changes on the original 60 acres. We probably still have 10-15 acres of hardwoods untouched.

really enjoyed reading these posts, keep up the great work! wish I could grow half of the stuff you got going down there

really enjoyed reading these posts, keep up the great work! wish I could grow half of the stuff you got going down there
Thanks! I have really enjoyed fixing my place the way I have. And yes.....I have a great diversity growing.
We get scorching sumers but mild winter with little to no snow.

I'm pretty sure I got a logger lined up to do my cutting. I'm kinda getting excited to see how it works out.
Really excited about receiving some cash comeing in for a change.....and not cash going out!lol

After talking to the logger last weekend...we are going to do some small clearcut patches, some thinning on most of land and I think I'm going to do about 15 acres of oak release by taking out a lot of large number of the pine and canopy of non mast producers

After talking to the logger last weekend...we are going to do some small clearcut patches, some thinning on most of land and I think I'm going to do about 15 acres of oak release by taking out a lot of large number of the pine and canopy of non mast producers
Good luck!

Good luck!
Thanks...im sure I'm going to plant the bottoms in the clearcut with oaks but the rest I'l probably just let it start regeneration .

I have been so busy on my place and have not even had time for pictures . I took this picture today. My pears are coming on strong .

I like how swamp chestnuts leaves are fuzzy looking....especially when they just start to leaf out.

Great place you have, love the pics. My great grandparents had a farm near pontotoc with a cabin we would visit when I was a kid, love the country down there.

Cool pics!

Great place you have, love the pics. My great grandparents had a farm near pontotoc with a cabin we would visit when I was a kid, love the country down there.
Thanks, my place is a family effort.
My 3 boys are a big help! If needed my wife will jump in and help also or at least have us something cooked after a long day working at the farm. We really enjoy having my grandparents old 1940s farmhouse. Lot memories there.

Cool pics!
The picture of the fuzzy swamp chestnut leaves was one of those days that I worked so hard and steady that I didn't even have time to take any habitat pictures but about last 20 minutes daylight I had a chance to go check a few trees before it would b to dark.

I have been so busy marking trees and property lines preparing for my timber to be cut.

Update on some pears.