Live from the stand thread

Was in Missouri for the firearm opener this weekend. We have fewer mature bucks on camera this year so my expectations were low. I was trying to put my nephew on a buck we call Left Side for his first buck. Several of us saw him and passed him and eventually my nephew ended up getting a decent 10 pointer. I believe this buck is 5.5 or older. He originally only had a left side of his rack when we got him 3 years ago on camera as a 2.5 year old. Last year he finally produced a single spike on the right side and this year he actually produced a brow tine on that side. I might consider taking him with the bow in late season but I am also a little intrigued with what he might turn into.

This is a video I put together of two encounters I had with him on two stands on Sunday:
What do you attribute the lack of mature deer to?

What do you attribute the lack of mature deer to?
Probably just the normal ebb and flow of the deer herd in the neighborhood. It might also have to do with all of the standing corn around.
Last year ourselves and our neighbors (most of the hunting pressure for a square mile or so) took fewer bucks and have been passing several with the hopes of them maturing. We knew it would be a slightly down year but not like this. Even with less intrusions this year compared to most, the numbers of mature bucks are noticeably down for everyone around us. Still, we are planning on taking quite a few does yet this winter.

Was in Missouri for the firearm opener this weekend. We have fewer mature bucks on camera this year so my expectations were low. I was trying to put my nephew on a buck we call Left Side for his first buck. Several of us saw him and passed him and eventually my nephew ended up getting a decent 10 pointer. I believe this buck is 5.5 or older. He originally only had a left side of his rack when we got him 3 years ago on camera as a 2.5 year old. Last year he finally produced a single spike on the right side and this year he actually produced a brow tine on that side. I might consider taking him with the bow in late season but I am also a little intrigued with what he might turn into.

This is a video I put together of two encounters I had with him on two stands on Sunday:

I hunt North MO as well and what I've noticed the last 4 plus years is fewer of the "right" bucks are reaching older age due to pressure. Antler wise, roughly 33% of bucks will be below average, 33% average, and 33% above avearage. The hunting pressure the last 5-7 years has exploded all over North MO and a good share of the high potential bucks are now killed at 2 and 3 years of age leaving the lower tier bucks to get old. We have a number of older bucks lacking in the antler department on both farms I hunt. Bucks like these are often mistaken for young "up and comers" due to their marginal racks when in reality they need to be shot to make room for younger more promising bucks.

I hunt North MO as well and what I've noticed the last 4 plus years is fewer of the "right" bucks are reaching older age due to pressure. Antler wise, roughly 33% of bucks will be below average, 33% average, and 33% above avearage. The hunting pressure the last 5-7 years has exploded all over North MO and a good share of the high potential bucks are now killed at 2 and 3 years of age leaving the lower tier bucks to get old. We have a number of older bucks lacking in the antler department on both farms I hunt. Bucks like these are often mistaken for young "up and comers" due to their marginal racks when in reality they need to be shot to make room for younger more promising bucks.

I have a prime example of that. My son killed a buck this week we called Vito. Look at his rack and you might think 3 or 4 years old.

1777C873-CFA2-4148-B31E-14630BACD5C7.jpeg

F93E038E-6132-4F6F-AED1-975AAB8DECDC.jpeg

Look at his neck and you might think older.

ACA30400-3CC5-4711-97FD-5A06232F2990.jpeg

Look at the wear on his incisor compared to a 3 or 4 year old the neighbor killed and again he leans older.

F077DD20-4B7E-4F20-8ACB-DDA5355C35CF.jpeg

We have history with this buck. He’s 7 plus years old and not going to ever be a booner. So he was on the list. My son hunted specifically for him because he wanted an old warrior.

Now if I could just get this old hag to walk by.
F61EF83D-33AE-4197-A025-077368C73E14.jpeg

This somewhat tracks with the harvest numbers MDC puts out in January of each year. I am somewhat hopeful that this is really just a symptom of more people hunting in '20 and '21 due to Covid and not a trend that is here to stay. I really wish we could get a shift in the industry from focusing on size of antlers and more on maturity of deer.

Also, it's fairly interesting how many Minnesotans hunt and/or own land down in Missouri. We should just car pool lol.

I have a prime example of that. My son killed a buck this week we called Vito. Look at his rack and you might think 3 or 4 years old.

View attachment 47363

View attachment 47364

Look at his neck and you might think older.

View attachment 47365

Look at the wear on his incisor compared to a 3 or 4 year old the neighbor killed and again he leans older.

View attachment 47366

We have history with this buck. He’s 7 plus years old and not going to ever be a booner. So he was on the list. My son hunted specifically for him because he wanted an old warrior.

Now if I could just get this old hag to walk by.
View attachment 47367

Exactly what I’m referring to! There are lots of Vito’s around. I was geared up to shoot one on Nov 10 but the tool decided eating beans was more important than the Lizadies in front of me. It took him 30 minutes to feed into bow range and by then it was too dark.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My 10 year old son, Chris, went on his 1st ever deer hunt this morning. He shot at 6:55 am, 22 degrees, snowing sideways. Very happy boy tonight. Made for a nice bday for me, and it was also the 1st opening morning I haven't hunted since i was his age.

Screenshot_20221118-184859_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20221118-184843_Gallery.jpg

Congratulations to Chris!

My 10 year old son, Chris, went on his 1st ever deer hunt this morning. He shot at 6:55 am, 22 degrees, snowing sideways. Very happy boy tonight. Made for a nice bday for me, and it was also the 1st opening morning I haven't hunted since i was his age.

View attachment 47373View attachment 47374
What a textbook shot. Must have a good teacher!

What a textbook shot. Must have a good teacher!
I will pass that along, thank you. Around age 7 or so we realized he was left eye dominant, so decided to make him a left hand shooter. All those nerf battles were helpful for his muscle memory. :)

That is awesome. Congrats. Shot looks phenomenal givin the conditions.

There's a cure for that! My buddy hunted over a new destination plot I put in this year. He had 15 at once, 13 does, 2 young bucks. He reminded me that when we first got the property and did no management, if we saw 10 deer total over a season, it was a good season. I'll take does for now. We've actually seen several nice bucks as well, but just not quite ready to harvest.

Congrats Mort and Chris, that is a great first deer! Happy birthday too.

Gosh I don't want to put in too many details but I have been on vacation for the last 2 weeks of bow, today is my first day back to work :/ I had an amazing hunting vaca!! Best rut I have ever seen, bucks chasing doe nearly every sit, rattled in 4 bucks but all were too young. Saw 2 bucks throw down about 100 yards away in the thick stuff, when they finished I rattled and had what appeared to be the winner came in grunting, tore up a bush 20 yards from me and he threw out a snort wheeze as he was leaving. It was a crazy 2 weeks! Saw 4 good bucks but as usual they were with doe and too far to shoot with a bow but mannnnn what an exciting rut!

Gun started Saturday and it all came crashing down, the deer were still running but not from chasing doe lol

This was the 8 point that won and came in to my rattling :) cute little squirt. This was not the caliber of a buck I expected after the dust up I saw.
E1F92473-3D48-4400-8027-C6F2DB7B53A9.jpeg

Last edited: