All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Live from the stand thread

Had a few sits for the first time of the year at our property in Missouri. Tonight I sat on one of our two bean plots. Saw 9 does with a total of 18 fawns between them on the just under 2 acre bean field. Only saw six young bucks. Most of the bucks are probably spread out in the corn that is on or around us. We only have about 160 acres on this farm, so these deer numbers are off the charts for us. Definitely going to be donating some meat this fall.

Opening day tomorrow. As long as Ian doesn't get here too fast, should be a good day. Ah crap. Just checked the weather. Not looking too good.

Opening day tomorrow. As long as Ian doesn't get here too fast, should be a good day. Ah crap. Just checked the weather. Not looking too good.
only looking like off and on showers for me...coulda used that rain in July and early August....

only looking like off and on showers for me...coulda used that rain in July and early August....
Ya how about it. My July 1st brassica planting amounted to about 10 plants at the lower end of one plot where moisture collects. I think that was the only germination out of any of it.

Ya how about it. My July 1st brassica planting amounted to about 10 plants at the lower end of one plot where moisture collects. I think that was the only germination out of any of it.
same here...my July 23rd planting did a bit better, but the best spot is at the bottom of sloped plot where there was shade..

same here...my July 23rd planting did a bit better, but the best spot is at the bottom of sloped plot where there was shade..
At least we're getting some now. rye and oats look great

Had a few sits for the first time of the year at our property in Missouri. Tonight I sat on one of our two bean plots. Saw 9 does with a total of 18 fawns between them on the just under 2 acre bean field. Only saw six young bucks. Most of the bucks are probably spread out in the corn that is on or around us. We only have about 160 acres on this farm, so these deer numbers are off the charts for us. Definitely going to be donating some meat this fall.
That is just insane the number of fawns you have. We average about .4 fawns per doe. Here is a pic I just got - looks like six does and one fawn. I have 350 acres and we rarely shoot a doe. We have a lot of does, but we have to have a lot when fawn recruitment is so low
F0486907-F5AB-42B3-8B5A-A97F1BB5ABAC.jpeg

BB1CBB09-0409-4E4C-AD5F-1B93A7AD4C27.jpeg

Third time is a charm. I shot this hog three months ago in the front shoulder with a 6.5 grendel - broke his shoulder and subsequent pics showed he wasnt using right front leg. I shot him again with a 12 ga load of hevishot BB’s a month ago. Again, he ran off but was back on camera two days later. I have gone after him several times at night with thermal when I get a text pic of him - but he has given me the slip. He almost did again last night. When I got to where I should have been able to see him in the thermal, I couldnt find him. Scanned around and saw him about 100 yards to my south about to leave the field. He couldnt take the .450 bushmaster

wow. Tough animal! What bullet were you using in the grendel? I would be interested to see what happened on that shot for terminal performance reference if you cut into him enough to figure that out.

For those of you in the south with all these wild hogs, do you eat them, donate them? Let them rot? I look at that picture, and say, mmm bacon!

wow. Tough animal! What bullet were you using in the grendel? I would be interested to see what happened on that shot for terminal performance reference if you cut into him enough to figure that out.
123 gr Hornady SST. I have not had great luck with the grendel on hogs. But, I am surprised I didnt do better on this hog, as I was shooting from a rest with the Grendel at 150 yards. It is the offside shoulder that is broken - so the bullet went through the chest cavity - a little far forward, I believe. After having a grendel for a couple of years and shooting maybe 50 hogs with it, I believe the grendel to be better suited as a precision shooter, where you can precisely place one shot. When hog hunting at night, the first shot might be precision, but after that, it is anyone’s guess. I have had a number of folks tell me, so what if you only wound them. But when you are shooting at night on a bunch of running hogs, I want to know I hit one and hit him hard - so I can switch to the next hog. With the grendel, it can be difficult to tell if you hit them - so you keep shooting at the same hog, even though you might have hit him good. My thermal is basically capable out to about 125 yards. That is what my .450 works at, too. Both of them together are a good match, and generally, you know when you hit one with the .450. I now keep my thermal on my .450 Bushmaster. Hogs are not real difficult to get close to at night

Almost all my hogs go to the bone yard. Cant hardly find someone to come get one. Most people have a supply of their own hogs.

42D5A7E1-1AE6-4755-AE19-6B3B07440216.jpeg

This hog been showing up for a month but always later at night - 2/4 am. He showed up early last night.

A00CC8AC-019E-4AD4-9A96-53B519579296.jpeg

I normally keep a bush hogged open field of fire around a bait site so I can get multiple shots. Usually, when just one hog, I lung shoot them and they will run off 50/75 yards before dying and I dont have to drag them out of the bait. This spot is not in a bush hogged opening - so I killed him where he stood. You can see the blood spot lower left corner. I had to drag him off so the deer would keep feeding

3E8322EA-D488-4DAF-81DA-9EED069905DA.jpeg

Not the biggest hog, but solid teeth. This property is a ten minute drive from my house. As I pulled up to the highway to leave - I stopped to close the gate. State Trooper pulled up and threw on the blue lights. Said he heard a shot. Great guy. We had a good conversation on thermal scopes.

8BE6F01C-DA11-43FA-AF6C-85A1CC0B0119.jpeg

Only took the deer a few hours to come back - even with the hog blood five feet away. More food for them. My pigs and deer wont feed at the same bait at the same time - but the pigs dang sure dont run them out of the area like I always read.

That big four pt at least five yrs old. Been a four pt the last three years.

Well I finally got to get go hunt yesterday afternoon. I haven’t been able to hunt much the last couple years because of raising kids. I’d been seeing a couple of bucks on trail camera so me and my oldest boy went and hung a stand a about 2 weeks ago. And yesterday I got a chance to get out and with the rising moon and high pressure I had a feeling it would be a good evening to go.
I got settled in at 6:30 on a creek crossing. As soon as I got up I heard a deer in the creek but couldn’t see much because leaves are still on the trees.
I turned to grab my bow and when I turned to get ready this buck was standing at 12 yds. I made a good broadside shot and in less than 15 mins I had my first buck of the year.

Attachments

• 2A9CA6B6-D7B0-4770-B31C-F5D1D64F42E8.png
    2A9CA6B6-D7B0-4770-B31C-F5D1D64F42E8.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 43
Well I finally got to get go hunt yesterday afternoon. I haven’t been able to hunt much the last couple years because of raising kids. I’d been seeing a couple of bucks on trail camera so me and my oldest boy went and hung a stand a about 2 weeks ago. And yesterday I got a chance to get out and with the rising moon and high pressure I had a feeling it would be a good evening to go.
I got settled in at 6:30 on a creek crossing. As soon as I got up I heard a deer in the creek but couldn’t see much because leaves are still on the trees.
I turned to grab my bow and when I turned to get ready this buck was standing at 12 yds. I made a good broadside shot and in less than 15 mins I had my first buck of the year.
That is the way to start the season.

Atta boy, congrats bud!

Thanks TT

Congratulations! to bad its not always that predictable.

That’s was interesting… Was hunting some woods that leads out to a neighbors cornfield that just got cut this week. Five does work by me at different times to feed out that cornfield. A little before dark they came running back by me with their tails up. Well right behind them was 2 coyotes. Shot one and it was raising hell as it died about 20 seconds later. The other coyote did not take kindly to this. It kept going back and forth and yipping along the road I have to take to get out. I stood up and waved my arms so it would see me…that only pissed it off! It’s started growling which lead into a howling which called another yote in! It’s dark, I have no headlamp and they are on my path. Eventually I just had to get down with that at 25 yards and hope like hell they didn’t follow me as I bushwhacked through some nasty stuff back to the bike. Never seen one that “aggressive” before. Would have shot it too but it would have left me with one broadhead for the weekend