Live from the stand thread

2 pellets of triple 7 is 100 grains? I have heard they don't like to be driven fast.

Last edited:
I like to use Barnes Spitfires with Blackhorn 209 powder. Love that combo. Can shoot a 1 inch group at 100 yards all day long.

I like to use Barnes Spitfires with Blackhorn 209 powder. Love that combo. Can shoot a 1 inch group at 100 yards all day long.
I will look into that. For a gun I use two days a year I never thought about it. After two bad experiences I would hate to loose a deer I shot that wasn't at 30 yards. A 100 yard shot would play out a lot different.

Congrats Chummer!

One deer went 20 and one went 40. I would hardly call that 2 bad experiences. Just my opinion but, I'd say that was great results with any weapon and any ammo.

One deer went 20 and one went 40. I would hardly call that 2 bad experiences. Just my opinion but, I'd say that was great results with any weapon and any ammo.
Good point.

Ditto on the Barnes with Blackhorn. The bullet mushrooms perfectly, and the Blackhorn is so much easier to clean than ANY of the blackpowders.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Been drizzling here the last day and a half, sitting in the pop up blind tonight, 70 deg and muggy

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Been drizzling here the last day and a half, sitting in the pop up blind tonight, 70 deg and muggy

Just manually triggered one of my cameras in MO. It says 92 deg. I don't mind missing today.

Good luck!

87 here swamp a** alert

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Reactions: kl9
Glad it's not 92 or 87 guess I won't complain about 70 lol

I haven't been out yet....I'm not putting up with those f'n skeeters!
At this rate we will be putting up with damn bugs until December. One light frost here so far this fall and no other one in the 2 week forecast.

Are they Powerbelts? I've heard it's about 50/50 with them. Some think they work great and some say they don't expand at all and cause a pencil type hole with absolutely no blood trail.
Ok this is making me wonder if i hit a buck last year that i could not believe i had missed. The muzzle loader was dead on at 100 yards and the shot was probably 60-70 at most. I used the exact setup mentioned above. But i searched and searched for blood with no luck. And i didn't see hair either so i figured i missed clean. Now I am beginning to wonder if that was the case. I did a pretty fast grid search in the immediate area and then just proceeded back to the stand to hunt. I am glad i saw this post so if i muzzle load hunt this year again i will know to look much harder. Or use different bullets

Ok this is making me wonder if i hit a buck last year that i could not believe i had missed. The muzzle loader was dead on at 100 yards and the shot was probably 60-70 at most. I used the exact setup mentioned above. But i searched and searched for blood with no luck. And i didn't see hair either so i figured i missed clean. Now I am beginning to wonder if that was the case. I did a pretty fast grid search in the immediate area and then just proceeded back to the stand to hunt. I am glad i saw this post so if i muzzle load hunt this year again i will know to look much harder. Or use different bullets
Seems this could be common. I had a guy at work tell me he switched to some 300 grain custom bullet because of this issue. My dad told me a story I did not know. We set him up with the same system I use as a retirement gift. He only shot one deer with it. Luckily there was snow. He shot a deer, there was no hair or blood. He assumed he had missed. He started following the tracks in the snow because they went towards the house. 50 yards later dead dear, not one drop of blood. I will say the set up I have is a 3" circle all day at 100 yards, I am going to look into different bullets.

Cool video. I still get the shakes when any deer is that close.

Another bit of info on shooting the smoke pole. A lot of guys will go to the range to sight in and shoot multiple rounds gradually sighting in their sights while swabbing in between shots. Once dead in they will go home and clean and oil their gun. When it's time to go hunting they grab the gun and off they go. I've found most ML have a diff POA/POI on clean oiled vs fouled barrel. Mine can be way off at 100. Definitely clean and oil after shooting. My system before hunting is to then get that oil out of the barrel with gun scrubber and then fire off 4 primers while rotating the barrel to foul it. This system has worked great for me.

Seems this could be common. I had a guy at work tell me he switched to some 300 grain custom bullet because of this issue. My dad told me a story I did not know. We set him up with the same system I use as a retirement gift. He only shot one deer with it. Luckily there was snow. He shot a deer, there was no hair or blood. He assumed he had missed. He started following the tracks in the snow because they went towards the house. 50 yards later dead dear, not one drop of blood. I will say the set up I have is a 3" circle all day at 100 yards, I am going to look into different bullets.
I would look into Barnes bullets.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Good luck Scott. Wish I was out there for this cold front action.