All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Live from the stand thread

Same here in IL deer running all over next bucks walking through the woods like it's September 1st. Just when I think it is heating up it goes dead

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

View from the barn:).

Had a stud 8 cruise the beans at 9:30.

Hope he pulls that crap this weekend when my sons here.
1bf7452d77e0f083f362c04c97c0ad41.jpg

6270377774eda6a68d6cbd51d1168984.jpg

128e94110e8175aaa404e7d21bb70851.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

View from the barn:).

Had a stud 8 cruise the beans at 9:30.

Hope he pulls that crap this weekend when my sons here.
1bf7452d77e0f083f362c04c97c0ad41.jpg

6270377774eda6a68d6cbd51d1168984.jpg

128e94110e8175aaa404e7d21bb70851.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What is the line of grass on the right hand side of your first picture?

We are not seeing many, if any, bucks over 130" moving around during the daylight. Have seen very little chasing, and the does are still with their fawns.

Have I missed the rut? Or is it the latest rut in history?

I will sit most of the day again, but my ass is sore waiting for something to happen.

I got back from my MO hunt last night. Really slow rut for me. I'll put together a full report when I have time. Rifle season on one farm is a gong show. Only my second time rifle hunting it in 5 years. First time wasn't anything like Saturday and Sunday. I'm going back down on Thursday or Friday.

What is the line of grass on the right hand side of your first picture?

3 year old Miscanthus Giganteus. Or Giganthus. Not sure of the proper spelling. Which I should because I've been experimenting with it for years :)

3 year old Miscanthus Giganteus. Or Giganthus. Not sure of the proper spelling. Which I should because I've been experimenting with it for years :)
I sent you a message...

We are not seeing many, if any, bucks over 130" moving around during the daylight. Have seen very little chasing, and the does are still with their fawns.

Have I missed the rut? Or is it the latest rut in history?

I will sit most of the day again, but my ass is sore waiting for something to happen.

I'm with you. Other than the double-drop footage I posted, no shooters in bow range. Never saw a buck "with a doe" from Oct 28 - Nov 12. Saw a little bumping, but no red hot does with 2-3 bucks chasing. I have 600ac standing corn around me, which didn't help my situation. I think the does were hiding in the corn from the little bucks harassment.

Nov. 12th was the end of our regular archery season here in Pa. No luck for our 5 archery hunters at camp, except one guy's son dropped a small 8 pt. Bucks half-heartedly chasing some does - at times - and other times not really interested. We didn't even hear any chasing in the woods, day or night. Rubs and scrapes are all around, but the normal activity for the 1st 2 weeks of Nov. wasn't seen. Strange year here.

Congrats to the guys who got those bucks on the last 3 or 4 pages here !! Some great looking wall-hangers for sure.

Okay ... I am done complaining about the rut that never was this year so far. 2nd season for us in Wisconsin starts at 6:21 am this Saturday morning. I know of very few big bucks being taken in our area so they are still out there.

Temps are supposed to drop big time for Sat & Sun into the 30s during the day which should help. Have 3 buddies including my nephew coming in on Friday, groceries to buy, steaks to marinade, 5 lbs of hot Italian beef made up for the slow cooker, guns are all sighted in, a page long list of things to do on Friday before we crack a few cold ones.

Good luck to all those heading out Sat a.m. ;)

Last edited:
Congrats to your wife!

Congrats to Scott's wife!

I think woman that deer hunt and shoot guns are Hot!!!

Scott the outfitter. Family is doing well. Now it's your turn! :)

My wife and daughter are going to be sitting together in a blind I put up for them on our property in Northern WI. Not a ton of deer up there but my plots have been helping out. She has never shot a deer before and has her sights set on this one. I hope she gets a crack at something. She has even been watching videos on gutting and deboning as she plans to do this herself. image.png

Okay ... I am done complaining about the rut that never was this year so far. 2nd season for us in Wisconsin starts at 6:21 am this Saturday morning. I know of very few big bucks being taken in our area so they are still out there.

Temps are supposed to drop big time for Sat & Sun into the 30s during the day which should help. Have 3 buddies including my nephew coming in on Friday, groceries to buy, steaks to marinade, 5 lbs of hot Italian beef made up for the slow cooker, guns are all sighted in, a page long list of things to do on Friday before we crack a few cold ones.

Good luck to all those heading out Sat a.m. ;)
If the winds die down late afternoon Saturday the meat hunters (ME) sitting over food should see deer.

If these predicted high winds last most of the weekend it could make for some tough hunting opening weekend and some better hunting later in the week.

Good luck to all this weekend in Wis. Be safe, no deer us worth your life or injury.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk