Live from the stand thread

Bad timing was my issue. I could have killed a ton of spikes but the doe always wanted to come in 5 min b4 dark on Sunday night
It was the year of 5 points for me this year. There were 3 big doe without fawns that ran together all year. The only time I got an opportunity at them was the opening morning of rifle and I had a bunch of buck running around and didn't want to mess that up.

Seasons fast approaching and thought I'd get stands up. Decided to spend an evening and morning glassing. Felt good to scratch the itch. Crazy how deer just seem to know when your around. Side lesson, dont take cell camera info as the be all, have only been getting a few pics a day, mostly does. In 2 sits have seen over 20 deer and 7 different bucks.
20220715_203700.jpg
20220716_054621.jpg

What is that oddly colored tree in the center of the last photo? I’m curious

What is that oddly colored tree in the center of the last photo? I’m curious
Russian olive. Love hate relationship with this one. Provide good roosting cover and food for pheasants, tuff as nails amd can grow where other trees cant. Problem is it can spread in overgrazed pasture and wetland margins. Good rub tree for deer to boot.

My oldest boy and I where out walking around checking on some canopy release we did late last winter. We got to the ground blind and sat down in the chairs and where BSing even had my dog with us. I look up and there is doe 20yds from us just watching us. She finally takes a couple hops and I get a poor photo of her when she stopped agian. I included a second photo zoomed out to get a better view of this small kill plot planted in ladino white clover lots of oaks in the immediate area also and a few pecan trees.

Attachments

• 96EEAB66-02C6-4D04-9629-8172638DD786.jpeg
    96EEAB66-02C6-4D04-9629-8172638DD786.jpeg
    494.6 KB · Views: 60
  • 6025CB4D-09B5-4F46-A4BE-74D74E993454.jpeg
    6025CB4D-09B5-4F46-A4BE-74D74E993454.jpeg
    829.8 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:
Had five bucks in my yard this morning one is very much going to be a shooter. Poor photo quality I apologize for that.

Attachments

• 427F0E1C-042B-4D42-8610-62FA280DB948.jpeg
    427F0E1C-042B-4D42-8610-62FA280DB948.jpeg
    313.4 KB · Views: 75
Had five bucks in my yard this morning one is very much going to be a shooter. Poor photo quality I apologize for that.

That lead buck looks good!

I would guess he may score in excess of 160 he was impressive and I live in land of giants so that’s saying something.

Long night and too dark to rake pictures from the stand but we managed a couple deer. Been using a thermal scope for spotting deer. It is truly amazing.

Attachments

• IMG_40691.jpg
    IMG_40691.jpg
    238.3 KB · Views: 50
W
Long night and too dark to rake pictures from the stand but we managed a couple deer. Been using a thermal scope for spotting deer. It is truly amazing.
What species of deer are those? They don’t look like what I’m accused to seeing maybe it’s just the lighting idk.

W

What species of deer are those? They don’t look like what I’m accused to seeing maybe it’s just the lighting idk.

Red deer. Norwegian subspecies

Ok thanks for the clarification I’m not loosing what’s left of my fractured mind then. I didn’t think those looked like North American species.

Not usually an early season hunter but if the conditions are just right…..

Last of the rain cloud is in the pic. Temp dipped a bit and the winds perfect. Only thing that would make it better is another 5 to 10 degree dip in temp. Hopefully that happens as the sun sets.

66949AFD-08DA-4D47-BA5A-A9CA0544415D.jpeg

Not exactly live - I took these pictures yesterday morning. We’ve got a cold front coming through next Thursday morning. I work in the afternoon and evening but I might get up at 4:00 and drive out for another morning hunt and be back in time to go to work Thursday. Hard to pass up a 20 degree change in temperature even if it’s from 97 to 74. A6E6026E-1E88-4A64-BC8A-9FC8574F7457.jpegECF231B9-8450-49C0-902C-FE5DD733A4DE.jpeg

We're not just Fluffer hunting are we Bill??? 🤨

Well, the first sit of the year is in the books. Think I saw 10 unique deer. 5 bucks and 5 does. Sat on our field plot in the NW corner. Wind was changing from the south mainly. Switched back and forth from east to west. Swirls in the hills. First deer out was the 2nd biggest I have on camera. A 9 pointer. And he’s just not what I’m looking for this year. He got to about 5 yards and got my wind. He turned jumped once or twice and walked off. He was with a couple other bucks. I saw one off behind him. A little basket yearling type. Then another yearling came down the north tree line but walked back in when the neighbor started making noise.

I think he ran every piece of equipment he owns tonight. Guy is awol all damn year and shows up for the opener. Despite that, the EW screen definitely helps. I doubt I’d see anything without it because they’d be able to see him if it wasn’t there. They are curious with all the noises, including talking/shouting but it didn’t bother them too much. Then I had another little racked yearling walk right under me. Along with two does and a little fork horn. Same path as the 9 but they had no clue I was there. I think the wind was in my face then.

After those another 2-3 antlerless made an appearance. Hot and humid but at least the itch was scratched. Probably wait til Friday for the next one. Much cooler forecast by then.