All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

J-birds place

As a waterfowl hunter....I have done that before. I have actually reported 2 that I assume had been killed by a vehicle. I just figure for the little bit of effort it takes it contributes to the data and information.

I have checked 5 or 6 road killed Canada geese and found a band on one of them.

I have checked 5 or 6 road killed Canada geese and found a band on one of them.
I work in an industrial park where the geese are pretty fearless. I have checked a few and I think 2 have been banded. Both where banded locally.... Many of the geese out there have bands...roughly 25% or so. Bad thing is they know they are safe and getting them to fly outside there "safe zone" is nearly impossible!

The one I found on the road was banded in Michigan, and I found it in Ohio. It was near a pond, and found early in the migration.

So...with the long weekend I tried to make the most of the opportunity. With scattered rain in the forecast all 3 days....it was get while the getting was good!

Priority #1 was my annual food plots planting. I ran down to the local coop and got a bag of year old RR seed for $15. I was pretty pleased about that. I had 3 plots to plant and was struggling with a means of how I was going to split the seed up evenly. I used a funnel and some 2 liter pop bottles....and to my surprise 1 2 liter bottle filled my hand broadcaster up nicely. It was real easy to even split up the seed and was easy to work with, but took a little up front work.
beans.jpg

From a planting perspective the ground was still a little wet with some areas still having standing water. But I had to get this done because the next 2 weekends where not a reality.
bottom before.jpg
I had mowed the weeds off and tilled everything under. Broadcast the seed and then simply pack with the tractor tires.... This ensures good seed to soil contact and should limit what the birds take off with.
plot packed.jpg

I was also dressed for comfort....I know in another thread someone asked about what sort of boot we all use for habitat work. Flips flops!
habitat boot.jpg

I was eventually chased back home by a rain cell....but we took the opportunity and went and visited the folks!

So other things that I got done/noticed over the weekend.... Some good, some not so good...

The not so good.... This WAS my best chestnut tree (got nuts last year). As you can tell it looks D-E-A-D....I cut it back and there was some green to it still, but it looks pretty bleak. The other 2 right next to it are fine. I have no idea what caused this.
chestnut dead.jpg

Same thing for one of my 2 grafted female persimmons. One is fine....the other ....well, it's another salvage project. Once again I cut it back until I found signs of life....which was nearly all the way back to the grafted joint.
persim dead.jpg

We will see what comes of this glimmer of hope....but again, it doesn't look good.
persim 2.jpg

Crab apples look good.... These are my TC trees from just a year or two ago....all alive and thriving....the best ones are as tall as their 5 foot cages and some have apples starting.
crab.jpg

My other apples are going to be spotty again this year. I have one or two that will produce out of the 5 total....
apples.jpg

Some other good news....found another turkey nest.
turkey nest.jpg

Got some more shrubs and trees planted as well....we will see what happens. The flags mark the shrubs and I seem to have roughly 80% success thus far. I mowed the rows to help give them some light. Had some left over acorns so I tossed them out as well....not sure they will do anything, but who knows.
shrub planting.jpg
acorn planting.jpg

Also got some cams out - set one up on this little plot up in the woods - there is a water hole just left of the image.
N wood splot.jpg

Wet is right. I’m headed to the farm this weekend. Based on the forecast I may just broadcast beans into mature rye and cultipack....

Wet is right. I’m headed to the farm this weekend. Based on the forecast I may just broadcast beans into mature rye and cultipack....
I'm typically a big fan of corn, but I have/had a rapidly closing window and went with the beans. They just tolerate more adversity vs corn. We got more rain moving in right now (I hear the thunder outside)....I saw a farmer with a planter chasing another tractor with a soil conditioner.....trying to get as much done and in the ground before the rain hits!

I'm typically a big fan of corn, but I have/had a rapidly closing window and went with the beans. They just tolerate more adversity vs corn. We got more rain moving in right now (I hear the thunder outside)....I saw a farmer with a planter chasing another tractor with a soil conditioner.....trying to get as much done and in the ground before the rain hits!

You might end up liking beans better. I’d rather have brown beans in December over standing corn. Just a personal preference.

Looks great Jbird, love the turkey nest.

So...with the long weekend I tried to make the most of the opportunity. With scattered rain in the forecast all 3 days....it was get while the getting was good!

Priority #1 was my annual food plots planting. I ran down to the local coop and got a bag of year old RR seed for $15. I was pretty pleased about that. I had 3 plots to plant and was struggling with a means of how I was going to split the seed up evenly. I used a funnel and some 2 liter pop bottles....and to my surprise 1 2 liter bottle filled my hand broadcaster up nicely. It was real easy to even split up the seed and was easy to work with, but took a little up front work.
View attachment 24349

From a planting perspective the ground was still a little wet with some areas still having standing water. But I had to get this done because the next 2 weekends where not a reality.
View attachment 24350
I had mowed the weeds off and tilled everything under. Broadcast the seed and then simply pack with the tractor tires.... This ensures good seed to soil contact and should limit what the birds take off with.
View attachment 24351

I was also dressed for comfort....I know in another thread someone asked about what sort of boot we all use for habitat work. Flips flops!
View attachment 24352

I was eventually chased back home by a rain cell....but we took the opportunity and went and visited the folks!
I am a sandals guy myself. I had high hopes of planting spring cover crops but it’s been so wet I’m not sure I’ll be planting anything until Fall.

You might end up liking beans better. I’d rather have brown beans in December over standing corn. Just a personal preference.
Corn is king here because of the cover aspect...it's just a lot of $$ and work for corn and it's a lot less forgiving. I had a bean plot shine last year...after season closed. I have some pics of I think 11 different deer in the night time pic taken in a 1/4 acre plot. The beans will do fine...corn is just better for my hunting season.

I am a sandals guy myself. I had high hopes of planting spring cover crops but it’s been so wet I’m not sure I’ll be planting anything until Fall.
I have never planted spring cover crops. I figure if I'm gonna plant something it's gonna feed the critters. The beans or corn I plant are not to feed them in the summer. I have 100's of acres of those crops around me. My plots are for feeding the deer once those other fields have been harvested... I'll add a splash of green into them when the time comes as well.

That ain’t Indiana for sure.

Enjoy and have fun

Needed a break....
That ain’t Indiana for sure.

Enjoy and have fun
nope..... the palmetto state! Scheduling a fishing outing tomorrow!!!

Needed a break....

nope..... the palmetto state! Scheduling a fishing outing tomorrow!!!

Good luck!

I was walking the beach last night and ran into a fellow habitat nut... Fella's name was Buddy, he was from Georgia (I had to focus on what he was saying as his accent was a bit heavy). He was telling me that he manages some large properties in Georgia and mostly restores trout streams there. 2 of the places he manages had produced state record Rainbow and Brook trout. He was fishing the surf and we talked for at least an hour about all sort of different critter hunting and fishing....

Also talked to a guy at the marina who had come in with 2 fish (a king mackerel and a flounder) - we talked while he cleaned his fish. Learned a few things then as well. Got a lesson on the difference between a king and a spanish mackerel and why they cut the eyes out of the fish heads when they discard them into the water (makes the heads sink).

Glad to see folks who appreciate the outdoors and treat others with the same passion like a lost pal.

Catch any fish?

Catch any fish?
No Buddy didn't catch anything...and our charter isn't until tomorrow afternoon.