All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

J-birds place

Updates Please...
Is the tractor out yet?
How about the flip flops? New ones with a more aggressive sole?

The MG thread got me thinking about your cuttings. How are your oldest ones making out now that we hit August?
They are 7 to 8 feet tall but not as dense as I sort of expected....I'll take some pics... I had my hands full "tractor fishing" saturday...

Updates Please...
Is the tractor out yet?
How about the flip flops? New ones with a more aggressive sole?
Posting update now... No new flip-flops.....I had to go back to my "old ones"....my wife is NOT happy. She claims I look homeless when I wear them! I had work to do and as such....I needed my flip-flops!

Went "tractor fishing" Saturday morning. To make a long story short....it's amazing how efficient one can be when they have the proper tool. And boy did I find the proper tool!

My son works for a place where they have a diesel repair shop as well as a towing and recovery business as well. These boys don't mess around!

When your going "fishing"....you need a means to get to the "fish". This one nice big Bobcat... (sorry - I didn't notice the model)...but it's a big one!
tractor fishing 1.jpg

Then you need to make sure you have the proper gear.... How about a 20,000 lb hydraulic winch with an anchor set-up? They was either going to pull it out....or pull it in half!
tractor fishing 2.jpg

And then you find "the fish"..... Not real pretty after sitting in the mud for a week.
tractor fishing 3.jpg

So things happened so quickly I didn't get a picture or video of us pulling it out. Once the skid-steer was set and the winch planted, we strung a cable to the front frame and I was out of the mud in less than 2 minutes! It took us far longer to actually get to the site (and I have mowed trails right down to the site) than it did to actually get the job done!

So she went home and got a good bath and has already been put back to work....

And if you care.....I'm cruising in my 2nd string flip-flops now.... With it being this late in the summer....they should get me thru.....

Cam pull

Cam pull:

Not bad when you don’t normally hold bucks in the summer...

Not bad when you don’t normally hold bucks in the summer...
I am sure they are coming from the neighbor - that's where the cover is. I didn't see anything that got me excited, but it's nice to see them all the same. They will give my daughter something to hunt....the big boys never show up until November for the most part....and that's OK....probably keeps me from screwing them up any way!!!!

Had an interesting weekend. Friday night...yes NIGHT. I broadcast some turnips into my beans and then sprayed the weeds in those plots. I knew Saturday would be busy and I wanted to get that done.

Saturday - I was a man of many talents. I was an Uber and financial adviser....taking my oldest daughter to pick up her car form being looked at (she needs new wheel bearing for both from wheels) and she went to the bank and we discussed her financial options. I was a cheerleader and emotional coach as I went to watch my youngest daughter play volleyball for school (she is a captain on the JV team and is not thrilled about being on JV but is accepting a leadership role there). I then got home and became a mechanic and helped my son pull an engine/trans which was a trick....he did most of the actual wrenching....I just operated the loader and tried to ensure he kept what is left of all of his fingers. Then after that I was seamstress, running a sewing machine helping my middle daughter alter her dress for her senior pictures that would be taken the next day. The life of a parent!

Sunday I decided I didn't know any of those people and went looking for some down time. The quote is from Elton Trueblood, "A man has made at least a start on discovering the meaning of human life when he plants shade trees under which he knows full well he will never sit".
walnut1.jpg

walnut 2.jpg
I made a trip out to my folks place...formerly my grandparents place over the weekend with Emma (my youngest) and Buddy (one of or dogs). We took a walk down to a walnut grove my grandfather planted....roughly 25 to 30 years ago. My daughter was saying how much she liked that area and was enjoying herself, just walking down the rows. I just stood back and thought about the man who planted those trees and how he would have enjoyed the walk....and seeing his great granddaughter enjoying herself. I'm sure he saw...just a different vantage point than than the one I had. Sometimes I think it's important to re-connect to where it all began.

That’s cool!

That’s cool!
It was the first place I went to when I found out he had passed. I am not sure why but I feel closer to him there than anywhere else and to see my youngest enjoying herself just made me smile.... Maybe someday my grandkids and beyond will do the same in some of the trees I have planted....maybe some day they will walk along the same trees my grandfather planted....

Had an interesting weekend. Friday night...yes NIGHT. I broadcast some turnips into my beans and then sprayed the weeds in those plots. I knew Saturday would be busy and I wanted to get that done.

Saturday - I was a man of many talents. I was an Uber and financial adviser....taking my oldest daughter to pick up her car form being looked at (she needs new wheel bearing for both from wheels) and she went to the bank and we discussed her financial options. I was a cheerleader and emotional coach as I went to watch my youngest daughter play volleyball for school (she is a captain on the JV team and is not thrilled about being on JV but is accepting a leadership role there). I then got home and became a mechanic and helped my son pull an engine/trans which was a trick....he did most of the actual wrenching....I just operated the loader and tried to ensure he kept what is left of all of his fingers. Then after that I was seamstress, running a sewing machine helping my middle daughter alter her dress for her senior pictures that would be taken the next day. The life of a parent!

Sunday I decided I didn't know any of those people and went looking for some down time. The quote is from Elton Trueblood, "A man has made at least a start on discovering the meaning of human life when he plants shade trees under which he knows full well he will never sit".
View attachment 25540

View attachment 25541
I made a trip out to my folks place...formerly my grandparents place over the weekend with Emma (my youngest) and Buddy (one of or dogs). We took a walk down to a walnut grove my grandfather planted....roughly 25 to 30 years ago. My daughter was saying how much she liked that area and was enjoying herself, just walking down the rows. I just stood back and thought about the man who planted those trees and how he would have enjoyed the walk....and seeing his great granddaughter enjoying herself. I'm sure he saw...just a different vantage point than than the one I had. Sometimes I think it's important to re-connect to where it all began.

I have walnut trees that I planted from seed just over 30 years ago. I also have shot deer out of trees I have planted. That means I am getting old... I mean mature.;(

I hope someone enjoys my trees just like your daughter enjoyed those.

Keep her interested. Ever plant any walnuts on your place, maybe with seed from great Grandpas place?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have walnut trees that I planted from seed just over 30 years ago. I also have shot deer out of trees I have planted. That means I am getting old... I mean mature.;(

Keep her interested. Ever plant any walnuts on your place, maybe with seed from great Grandpas place?

Long story short....yes I have considered using a piece of ground I have and doing something similar (doubt I will mow it like a park) but it has certainly been considered. Just another project on the list.

My daughter has been involved and she likes to be. There have been several posts of her being out working with me planting trees and the like. Digging holes for trees, burning switchgrass and spreading seed .....AND she will tell you she is the "Worlds Best Tractor Driver" to boot! Just don't ask about the tractor/lawn mower incident!!!!

Last edited:
So did some work over the weekend, but had a little fun as well....

I mowed my "deer" paths.... and took some pictures of that. I know there was a recent thread about them so I tried to document a little better what I do.

So this shows a perfect example of my place. To the right we have a crop field (corn this year). In the middle is my "buffer" of switchgrass and native weeds. To the left is a narrow strip of hardwoods that is a slope that increase in elevation from the poitn of view of where I am standing to take the picture.
trails before.jpg

So the first edge is the edge between the corn and the grasses. In some cases these are used naturally. And in others I mow along it so I can access other parts of my property. The key is that this is a edge created between habitat types and once harvest happens these edges will no longer be used by the deer because of it being so exposed.
corn edge.jpg
corn edge 2.jpg

So to ensure I create a stable and somewhat reliable means of knowing where the deer will be I like to also create a path (typically with mowing) along the next natural edge....in this case between the grass/weed area and the hardwoods.
woods edge.jpg
I like a winding path with "blind" corners....this seems to be preferred by the deer and seem to allow them to cautiously moving along the path without being in a hurry by feeling exposed. I also like to mow close to potential rub trees or even under some overhanging branches and the like to facilitate scrapes. I then hang stands in the hardwoods that overlook this "path" and the deer move by and have no idea I am there.
woods edge 2.jpg

Then finally the key is to "connect the dots". Below you see how the "path" opens up into a small plot with the the natural deer trail opening in the woods just opposite. This then leads to a path that is maintained in the woodlot (in the winter after season closes) where hopefully the deer bed on some slope/points in there.
connect dots.jpg

I mow late in the summer to avoid hitting fawns and turkey nests. I have found these natural edges tend to be favorite places for critters to try to hide. I could just as easy maintain this trail with chemicals as well. I also tend to put down some rye in small places along the path just to cause the deer to stop .....so I can get a shot as well. Not every deer plays this game by the rules. Some deer will still push thru the weeds....some will still follow the exposed edge, but created early enough, most deer will follow the path created, just make sure your not doing this into your bedding areas. This ease of access also gets used by yotes and the like as well. You can also create what is called a "track trap" along a trail like this to see how quickly the deer will take to it. Just remove the vegetation form the trail for a 3 foot length or so. This will show the deer tracks very clearly and give you an idea of size, direction and potentially numbers....depending on how frequently you check it. The key to these "deer paths" is that they are for the deer....NOT YOU! Stay off of them. Don't run quads on them, or use them to access stands. All those limbs and weeds that the deer use to leave scent and the like will hold yours as well.....not good.

Now the fun....

Took the 15 y/o out for her first drive. I can't speak for everyone, but where I come from....you start with the lawn mower, then the ATV or tractor and sooner or later you end up in a pick-truck in the boonies on a seldom used road....

Somebody wasn't keeping her eyes on the road and was not amused! She tends to over think things so she had no idea I was going to have her drive. I just stopped the truck and got out and had her move over! She got a little nervous when we reached about 20mph.... Already had to implement rule #1....LEFT FOOT....NEVER LEAVES THE FLOOR (when driving an automatic). She asked "Do you feel safe with me driving?"......Ummmm, I was taking a selfie! I don't know many folks who do that when they are worried about dying!
Emma drive.jpg

Well we survived the drive and caught a few fish.... Emma caught a nice 14" bass (she claims it was a 20 pounder....Oh, her great-grandfather's fish telling stories gene is showing)! We both caught a few bass and then we went and sat in the shade on the dock and caught some bluegill (Brim for you southern folks).... The boy and his girl-friend came out as well. It was pretty hot so the wife and other girls just went to mom and dad's (AC). We all went over there and had burger's and dog on the grill. Sometimes....it's the simple things.
Emma bass 2.jpg

I mowed my "deer" paths.... and took some pictures of that. I know there was a recent thread about them so I tried to document a little better what I do.

So this shows a perfect example of my place. To the right we have a crop field (corn this year). In the middle is my "buffer" of switchgrass and native weeds. To the left is a narrow strip of hardwoods that is a slope that increase in elevation from the poitn of view of where I am standing to take the picture.
View attachment 25751

So the first edge is the edge between the corn and the grasses. In some cases these are used naturally. And in others I mow along it so I can access other parts of my property. The key is that this is a edge created between habitat types and once harvest happens these edges will no longer be used by the deer because of it being so exposed.
View attachment 25752
View attachment 25753

So to ensure I create a stable and somewhat reliable means of knowing where the deer will be I like to also create a path (typically with mowing) along the next natural edge....in this case between the grass/weed area and the hardwoods.
View attachment 25754
I like a winding path with "blind" corners....this seems to be preferred by the deer and seem to allow them to cautiously moving along the path without being in a hurry by feeling exposed. I also like to mow close to potential rub trees or even under some overhanging branches and the like to facilitate scrapes. I then hang stands in the hardwoods that overlook this "path" and the deer move by and have no idea I am there.
View attachment 25755

Then finally the key is to "connect the dots". Below you see how the "path" opens up into a small plot with the the natural deer trail opening in the woods just opposite. This then leads to a path that is maintained in the woodlot (in the winter after season closes) where hopefully the deer bed on some slope/points in there.
View attachment 25756

I mow late in the summer to avoid hitting fawns and turkey nests. I have found these natural edges tend to be favorite places for critters to try to hide. I could just as easy maintain this trail with chemicals as well. I also tend to put down some rye in small places along the path just to cause the deer to stop .....so I can get a shot as well. Not every deer plays this game by the rules. Some deer will still push thru the weeds....some will still follow the exposed edge, but created early enough, most deer will follow the path created, just make sure your not doing this into your bedding areas. This ease of access also gets used by yotes and the like as well. You can also create what is called a "track trap" along a trail like this to see how quickly the deer will take to it. Just remove the vegetation form the trail for a 3 foot length or so. This will show the deer tracks very clearly and give you an idea of size, direction and potentially numbers....depending on how frequently you check it. The key to these "deer paths" is that they are for the deer....NOT YOU! Stay off of them. Don't run quads on them, or use them to access stands. All those limbs and weeds that the deer use to leave scent and the like will hold yours as well.....not good.

I also have the winding mowed path and two rye/oats/ clover patches along the trail.

View attachment 25751

View attachment 25752
View attachment 25753

View attachment 25754
View attachment 25755

View attachment 25756

About thirty years ago, I met and also read books from a guy who made these paths by hand on public land in northern Mn. He deliberately made the paths too narrow for 4 wheelers (3 wheelers in those days).

About thirty years ago, I met and also read books from a guy who made these paths by hand on public land in northern Mn. He deliberately made the paths too narrow for 4 wheelers (3 wheelers in those days).

I tell folks all the time you only need a path as wide as a push mower. There just is no way I was using a push mower....the vegetation was 4 to 5 feet tall, and the path in the pics is roughly 400 yards long. I like to set these up to connect feeding areas and run past or near bedding areas. I don't worry about "dead-ends" or "loops of travel" or "wheels" and the like. I don't have enough cover for that. I just need to have a decent idea that if the deer bed in X and want to get to Y plot that they will more than likely follow this path. These paths help me "train" the does and young bucks and help define a pattern of movement. The land here is pretty flat and the wide open fields allow the deer to essentially go wherever they want. The thing is that once those crops (corn in particular) come out of the fields this grossly changes any summertime pattern for movement (because of the open ground and reduced cover). I don't have an ATV of any type - I only have my little 30hp compact tractor. So that is the tool I use. I just know that some people see this path of least resistance as well and like to use it and it works against them from a hunting perspective. I watched a buddy jump several deer once simply because he choose the wrong trail to access a stand. it went from a potentially good hunt to a busted one before he ever reached his tree. I simply try to work with natural edges and existing deer trails if I can as well. The deer know what they like....we need to be smart enough to listen to them....

Do you have to do anything "special" to plant walnuts? I was planning on simply clearing the area and then plowing a furrow to plant them in (green husk and all). Then cover. I was thinking about roughly 8 to 12 foot centers with the intent of thinning later.....if I live to see the need.

I tell folks all the time you only need a path as wide as a push mower. There just is no way I was using a push mower....the vegetation was 4 to 5 feet tall, and the path in the pics is roughly 400 yards long. I like to set these up to connect feeding areas and run past or near bedding areas. I don't worry about "dead-ends" or "loops of travel" or "wheels" and the like. I don't have enough cover for that. I just need to have a decent idea that if the deer bed in X and want to get to Y plot that they will more than likely follow this path. These paths help me "train" the does and young bucks and help define a pattern of movement. The land here is pretty flat and the wide open fields allow the deer to essentially go wherever they want. The thing is that once those crops (corn in particular) come out of the fields this grossly changes any summertime pattern for movement (because of the open ground and reduced cover). I don't have an ATV of any type - I only have my little 30hp compact tractor. So that is the tool I use. I just know that some people see this path of least resistance as well and like to use it and it works against them from a hunting perspective. I watched a buddy jump several deer once simply because he choose the wrong trail to access a stand. it went from a potentially good hunt to a busted one before he ever reached his tree. I simply try to work with natural edges and existing deer trails if I can as well. The deer know what they like....we need to be smart enough to listen to them....

I originally only used a push mower, but now do part of the trail with a rider and 48 inch deck. Older and wiser(lazier).
I live here and don’t seem to have 4 wheeler trespass issues.