Is this ready to seed?

Bc4abc

5 year old buck +
Question for you guys that are more experienced.....I'm planting winter rye and durana....in a one acre plot.....two weeks ago I burned with gly .....today I disced and drug the plot.....question:..there is a lot of grass material clumped up in places .....but more areas are bare dirt than grassy ..my question is should I just throw the seed to it or do additional prep before seeding?.....IMG_20160902_184759114_HDR.jpgIMG_20160902_184719370.jpgIMG_20160902_184531804.jpgIMG_20160902_190454423.jpg

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

More picsIMG_20160902_190506038.jpgIMG_20160902_184657916.jpgIMG_20160902_184525399.jpg

When it comes to tillage for WR and Clover, less is more. You're done. As soon as you see rain in the forecast, Broadcast.

Are you in sand country? If so leave the mulch, seed it and cultipack it. You'll want the grass on top to help retain moisture.

Are you in sand country? If so leave the mulch, seed it and cultipack it. You'll want the grass on top to help retain moisture.

Even for us guys with heavy clay, reducing or eliminating tillage has lots of great benefits including moisture retention.

Awesome..thanks guys ......yes my soul is sandy ...almost like baby powder ....but if u dig down 6 inches it's sandy

Spend time reading the CNC throw-n-mow thread if you haven't yet. This will help in the future, especially with sandy soil.

Spend time reading the CNC throw-n-mow thread if you haven't yet. This will help in the future, especially with sandy soil.
Will do!

Since you already disced and dragged the plot today, I would have disced then dragged in the WR and then broadcast durana on the top and then packed it.
I can't get away with throwing WR or WW on top of bare dirt here, turkeys would eat it all.

Last edited:
I agree with brown dog. I lightly disk in rye and oats, then cultipacker, spread small seed like clover and brassicas and cultipack again. I've tried overseeding large seeds like oats and rye on my sandy ground but it doesn't germinate well just sitting on top and the turkeys eat most of the seeds. trial and error is s good thing though, so give it a shot and see what happens.

Unfortunately I do not have a cultipacker.....just a disc, Bushhog and carry all.....but on some other plots I made a drag from some old fencing and pulled it over the rye , then broadcast the durana on top...after I covered the rye

I don't have a packer. I will till, then run my drag flat to kind of "pack" the soil. Then I broadcast the bigger seed first(radish) then adjust my drag so the teeth are going into the dirt about 1". Then I broadcast smaller seed and adjust the drag so it is flat and run it over the plot again.

Last edited:
You'll be fine. My disk and cultipacker are overgrown with weeds and haven't moved in 3 years. I'm now very much into burn with gly and no till or just throw and go. I don't really like bare dirt.

The worms are happy and my plots do fine. Throw a soybean into killed weeds and grass and it will grow.

Funny "but sad" story.
10 years ago I had a field like yours and hand raked it before planting turnips.
Thank god I found people to help me learn not to get rid of my mulch :).

I am going to investigate the throw n mow alot more going forward .....I actually have two more smaller plots that are glued but not yet disced at all .....any suggestions as to a seed to sow as a first time throw n mow on these already burned but not disced spots?

Glyed not glued

I can't throw n mow with my heavy clay soil unless it rains for 3 days straight. Tried it last year with an old clover plot. My results were dismal.

Give it a shot and see how it goes. It might work well or you might want to go with a different plan next year. If I'm planting without my cultipacker, I just drive over the plot with my atv a few times snd that works too. I don't have much luck broadcasting big seed without covering it, but you may have better luck. I have great luck with spraying and cultipacking small seeds without tillage though.

I can't throw n mow with my heavy clay soil unless it rains for 3 days straight. Tried it last year with an old clover plot. My results were dismal.

Interesting. I have heavy clay. One issue I found with the basic throw-n-mow method with some of my fields that were tilled for years is crusting. The clay form a crust when it rains and dries out. This is largely a result of tillage abuse over the years. Surface broadcast seed has a hard time breaking through the crust when it germinates and drilled seed has a hard time breaking through it coming up.

A variation uses "Thirt". I set a tiller so high that it barely hits the top inch of soil. It chops up vegetation and breaks the crust. The filed ends up being mostly thatch with a bit of dirt mixed in (Thirt). Both throw-n-grow and not-till drilling work much better when I do this on abused fields. Over time, and OM builds and the field is no longer traditionally tilled, I am able to use throw-n-mow much more effectively.

It does take some time and patience.

Thanks,

Jack