Critique this fall plot plan as it seems a tad heavy

Brokenbear

5 year old buck +
OK ..this is not a bash a seed dealer post but asking for honest thoughts ..so to set the stage ..we had river damaged bottoms that the dirt pan folks finally got to this summer but did not finish until June 20 ..we immediately planted rye grass and wheat soy beans ..and of course did not realize we were at the beginning of a drought ..so nothing but weeds ..so we have been doing mowing and burn downs and will have basically bare dirt to plant the fall cover crop in ..I explained this to the seed dealer ..so the seed rates per acre may be over populated ...or since there is not so much as a piece of crop matter the quantities my be over compensating for possible poor germination ??? ..your thoughts please Keeping in mind we need good roots and ground cover to withhold the dirt from the river this spring ...
3P606NT Drill
The following is the seed dealer/tech's suggestion
Small seed box / per acre
4# Oasis Chicory
2# PTT
5# Crimson Nitro coat Clover
4# Fixation Balansa Apex Green Clover
5# Frosty Berseem Nitro coat clover
For total 20lbs/ AC dispensed from the small box

Large box / per acre
2# Groundhog Radish
5# wheat
7# total / AC from the large box

After germination we are going to sow 150#/AC cereal rye to add root and plant matter ..so basically the first fall plant is hoped to be more about anchoring the dirt as well as having plant mass to lay down this spring via crimp roller termination

Thanks
Bear

From my limited experience that seems pretty heavy especially if it is being drilled. Broadcast maybe ok. Or maybe they have a low germ rate for their seeds so they are just compensating! LOL

Doesn't seem crazy to me. I've found some of those clovers are nearly 50% seed coating by weight. If good coverage is paramount, I wouldn't be worried with that blend. Your brassicas might be gone in the spring and you'll be happy if you have thick clover.

Until you have the pure live seed (PLS) numbers, it will be hard to know. Craig Harper brought some clover labels to demonstrate this fact during our habitat class earlier this summer. Some were only in the 30% PLS range.

I would think 100# of cereal rye would be sufficient. I would think too much could stunt growth and root development.

I will throw my hat in - or at least what I observe at my farm.
At first glance that does not seem too high depending upon the following:

1. If your deer per square mile is high as in my case, you often need to plant additional seed to compensate for plant loss right out of the gate due to over grazing.
2. I have the 8 foot version of the same drill. It can be tricky getting perfect seed depth with those seeds at times. Soil moisture can get you too deep real fast with that drill, even when set in the bottom hole which is the most shallow.
3. Again, depending on how new you are to that drill you can plant and leave the furrow open which makes the seed vulnerable to every bird on your farm.

My two cents, I have never planted too many seeds per acre when I went on the heavy side. But, I have planted too few on more than one occasion.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My two cents, I have never planted too many seeds per acre when I went on the heavy side. But, I have planted too few on more than one occasion.

Agreed. I don't have tons of experience but the only times i've really regretted having too high of a rate is with brassicas. That isn't an issue with the mix above. With clovers it seems going too light is way more likely to bite me in the ass than going too heavy.

If that is prone to washing away, throw out the crimson and berseem and put in dutch white clover. White clover can sit under water for quite a while and not die. If your rye goes under water for long, it's ain't gonna be there and you'll have nothingi but chicory coming back.

White clover is also going to help keep your rye going to it's full potential in the spring. I might also throw some japanese millet in there this fall to help put some roots down.

Well here is our water and wash situation ...we installed the tower for a muddy blind near one of my bottom grounds food plots 3 weeks ago when the rains started we had to stop mounting the blind due to heavy rain so the blind sat in the field on blocks beside the tower ..I went to the farm today to prep my new to me used 3P606NT Great Plains
...This past Friday we had another one inch of rain at my house and at the farm 20 miles away 5" ..the blind is now 100 yards down stream from the tower ...
The good news is it stayed in the field...
And it stayed upright ...
So 3 weeks of rain and solid mud unable to mount the blind and floods come but there is sunshine coming just around the corner i'm sure
In the meantime my bottoms are for lack of a long tirade are a flaming mess!

Excuse me for being grumpy ..I have concern for being able to even get in the fall cover plots in in time ....

Bear

A perenial clover should be in the mix. Not sure where you are located but you are going to want more than just the chicory to come in next spring. Where I am at annual clovers do not overwinter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk