Is baiting counterproductive to gov't harvest objectives?

To me, this is a very interesting thread - I guess from the standpoint as a professional wildlife biologiest and a Govt Natural Resource manager - who had to make decisions to satisfy public demand - but were opposite my own ethics of selfish desires.

Telemark sees it ok to use thermal scopes to achieve a harvest goal. A true biologist, interested in reducing herd density cares not if the deer are killed over a corn pile or a master woodsman stayed on an individual track for a week before killing it. They both count one deer.

In many of our counties, with baiting, biologist harvest goals are not met. Based upon the comments from many folks how easy baiting makes it to kill a deer - it is obvious to deduce without baiting, our biologist’s harvest goals would not be anywhere close to being met.

I believe it was Howboutthemdogs that recently expressed dissatisfaction with local harvest of younger deer and has even thought about selling out again, and purchasing another farm in a better area. (Please forgive if this was not you). Many of us do not have that option - and have to play with the cards we are dealt.

I have many neighbors who own ten or fifteen acres - a feeder may be their only chance of getting a deer to walk across their property. They know they have no realistic opportunity to grow deer. I understand completely - I started out with - 12 acres and had no delusions of growing a 140” buck.

All my comments on here have not been made to criticize, but to hopefully make some folks understand the difficult position our game and fish decision makers find themselves, trying to satisfy at least some of us. All of us in this discussion are passionate hunters and wildlife managers - yet many of us have different thoughts on how to do - or not do something.

Telemark commented “Objectively, you did a good job. Who cares what a bunch of selfish pricks want?” As a “public servant”, my job evaluation actually had criteria for customer satisfaction. We could not just go out and do what we wanted to do - customers be damned - or we wouldnt be employed long. And contrary to what a lot of people think about govt employees, there really are a lot of them who are very conscientious and hard working.

As someone who has spent a career working for the govt, I have been told a number of times I should be a commissioner (not that I have the resources). That said, I am not sure our game and fish department would have the resources to pay me enough. It boggles my mind to think there are folks who want to do that. I envision that as a no win situation, in which you had ever opportunity to make a few folks happy and a lot of folks mad. I sure dont agree with all their decisions - but I dang sure would not want to be them.

For many of us, we are fortunate to own our own property. As long as legal, We can manage it based upon our own ethics or desires. We dont shoot does on my property, even though my normal hunters could legally account for dozens each year. I have fifteen acre neighbors who kill five does a year on their acreage. Sometimes, if the state regulations do not meet your goals, you have to set your own legal regulations. I finally quit fretting over state regulations or what my neighbors are doing - and started worrying only about what I can do.

You mean taxpayers? Your employer?

Sorry. Couldn’t resist. I give the same reminder to many civil servant friends and family members. They roll their eyes, too, but they know I’m right. :)
Yes - definitely - the taxpaying public. Everyone that I worked with was well aware of that fact.

Telemark commented “Objectively, you did a good job. Who cares what a bunch of selfish pricks want?” As a “public servant”, my job evaluation actually had criteria for customer satisfaction. We could not just go out and do what we wanted to do - customers be damned - or we wouldnt be employed long. And contrary to what a lot of people think about govt employees, there really are a lot of them who are very conscientious and hard working.

What I meant was, if you made a bit of something for everyone, most likely the majority of people were satisfied with the fishing and didn't turn up at a meeting to bitch at you. It's probably just the selfish pricks who turn up to tell you they want more for themselves. Though I may have misunderstood your story.

What I meant was, if you made a bit of something for everyone, most likely the majority of people were satisfied with the fishing and didn't turn up at a meeting to bitch at you. It's probably just the selfish pricks who turn up to tell you they want more for themselves. Though I may have misunderstood your story.
That may have been what hapoened - but that is not how we took it😁

This party started without me, and I had to catch up, but I just want to say that this is a most respectful conversation about two very controversial topics. I appreciate that fact.

Dogging deer used to be legal in lots of East Texas counties and was practiced where it wasn’t legal also. I used to hunt public where dogs were used, illegally, and it was kind of a pain in the butt to try and still hunt when they turned the dogs out. Law didn’t stop some of those old codgers from running dogs though. I never was the beneficiary of those dog hunts, but I tried to be. The deer just didn’t come my way once, and another time it was a doe, an illegal deer at that time and place. Running dogs is illegal all over Texas now and the old die hards are mostly aged out as far as I can see, but in my part of the state we still have quite a it of illegal hunting. Night hunters, tresspassers, and such will always be a problem I guess.

As to baiting, I run corn feeders at my hunting spots from about the middle of September until the middle or last of March. They run about four or five seconds twice a day. I don’t think that’s enough corn to effect the carrying capacity one way or the other. But what about food plots, is that baiting ? I certainly like my food plots and almost always hunt over them. Every deer I’ve killed in at least the last ten years has been killed in one of my plots with a feeder nearby. If you kill a deer under an oak tree, did you bait that deer in ? It’s natural, but you set up overlooking that oak tree for some reason. 😁 What about hunting a well used trail, is that ethical ? If it ain’t then we might as well hunt the middle of a hay meadow. I don’t know why y’all hunt, but I hunt because I love it. I can’t not hunt. It’s in my dna. I also love wild venison and I don’t know any other way to get it.

Ethics is not a four letter word, but it might as well be, and it’s a different meaning for different people. That has been demonstrated in this conversation, albeit with much respect.

Now if y’all want to talk about hogs, we will drop the ethics part and just get to killing !😜

One of the biggest differences in running dogs versus tracking is that trackers don’t add to the number of deer being killed……we are only adding to the number that get recovered. The deer’s fate is already sealed one way or the other before they ever call us. He’s either fatally wounded or he isnt……

Is it “unethical” that I used an off lead dog to finish off these deer?? I certainly don’t see it that way …..They were all still alive when they were found and had to be dispatched…..some 12-18 hrs after the shot. I mean I guess you could just chalk them up to waste and do nothing but why??......Because someone doesn’t like that a dog is being used?? That’s why I say its typically an emotional decision being made and not rational one when someone doesn’t like it.

Attachments

• December 3-2.jpg
    December 3-2.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 4
  • Jan 9-2.jpg
    Jan 9-2.jpg
    243.6 KB · Views: 4
  • thumbnail48-1.jpg
    thumbnail48-1.jpg
    524.9 KB · Views: 5
  • z11.jpg
    z11.jpg
    394.1 KB · Views: 5
  • z62.jpg
    z62.jpg
    500.1 KB · Views: 5
  • z87.jpg
    z87.jpg
    427 KB · Views: 4
  • z115.jpg
    z115.jpg
    483.6 KB · Views: 4
  • z155.jpg
    z155.jpg
    641.3 KB · Views: 4
  • zz403.jpg
    zz403.jpg
    511.5 KB · Views: 4
C&C, I don’t think it’s unethical at all, in fact it’s just the opposite. I bought a JRT about 14 years ago for that very purpose. I bowhunted at the time and he found several deer for me although I put him on the track of some that didn’t need it. Practice runs are good !😁 He also found several hogs that were shot at night, and as we don’t track big boars at night, he found them the next morning. Tracking dogs have saved many deer from being buzzard food.

Believe me, years ago, like 45 - I did some deer hunting with dogs. If anyone believes a deer’s fate is sealed when a dog gets on its trail - I have some ocean front property in Arkansas you need to buy. Far more bucks are killed slipping out or slipping back than the bucks killed in front of the dogs.

I can tell you some recent factual numbers. On a 4000 acre lease with a decent deer density - maybe 30 deer per square mile - on a dog running lease with 20 members and a five week dog season with a 3 pt on one wide antler restriction - an average annual buck harvest including five months of archery/crossbow, 12 days Ml, six weeks rifle, two buck limit - an average of less than 30 bucks are killed. I firmly believe more bucks were killed without the dogs. Deer dogging is not about killing the deer - it is ALL about the dogs. If you havent done it, you have no idea why someone does it. If you dog hunt, You might like it or you might or you might hate it - but until you do it, you have no idea.

I own 400 acres - no, I dont let folks run dogs on my ground - it isnt enough acreage. But, I also dont shoot a deer dog if I see it. A stray deer dog on my place a few times a year is just a diversion. The deer dont care.

One of the biggest differences in running dogs versus tracking is that trackers don’t add to the number of deer being killed……we are only adding to the number that get recovered. The deer’s fate is already sealed one way or the other before they ever call us. He’s either fatally wounded or he isnt……

Is it “unethical” that I used an off lead dog to finish off these deer?? I certainly don’t see it that way …..They were all still alive when they were found and had to be dispatched…..some 12-18 hrs after the shot. I mean I guess you could just chalk them up to waste and do nothing but why??......Because someone doesn’t like that a dog is being used?? That’s why I say its typically an

I hope you're not talking about me. I am a big proponent of using a dog to track wounded deer.

I can tell you some recent factual numbers. On a 4000 acre lease with a decent deer density - maybe 30 deer per square mile - on a dog running lease with 20 members and a five week dog season with a 3 pt on one wide antler restriction - an average annual buck harvest including five months of archery/crossbow, 12 days Ml, six weeks rifle, two buck limit - an average of less than 30 bucks are killed. I firmly believe more bucks were killed without the dogs. Deer dogging is not about killing the deer - it is ALL about the dogs.

That is a strong argument against deer dogging.

If you have access to vast acreage and want to run deer with dogs so be it the real trouble with dog hunting deer or bear or even coon for that matter is access to vast acreage is far from the case so you and your dogs are trespassing all over other peoples land this leaves a lasting sour taste in most peoples mouths and promotes very little tolerance for the practice.

If you have access to vast acreage and want to run deer with dogs so be it the real trouble with dog hunting deer or bear or even coon for that matter is access to vast acreage is far from the case so you and your dogs are trespassing all over other peoples land this leaves a lasting sour taste in most peoples mouths and promotes very little tolerance for the practice.
E0BD0559-691F-4A68-A1EE-A5B717C388C5.jpeg
“I was just going to retrieve my dog, he doesn’t know where the property line is”. I don’t care. I don’t want you on my land PERIOD. If the land you hunt is too small to keep the dogs on your property the whole time take up another hobby or go somewhere else.

That is a strong argument against deer dogging.
I dont see it as an argument for or against. It is just more of a description for those who have never done it. A lot of folks have this idea when you turn the dogs out, they get on a deer and run it, and someone kills it. That is far from reality. Many of the deer are killed slipping away, or slipping back in - but not actually in front of the dogs. Deer dogging is a dying sport. As said elsewhere in this thread, it takes a lot of land. Where I live, it is not possible to run deer with dogs because no one controls enough land to do it. But, not far from my place, there are hundreds of thousands of acres of commercial timberland where hunting leases of three or four thousand acres are common. But even there, dog running is a dying sport, because a lot of hunters do not like deer dogging for a variety of reasons - and do not permit it on their lease.

I have no ethical problem with dog hunting. I have hunted rabbits, coons, and gamebirds with dogs, also. The problem I have with dog running is trespassing by the dogs onto other folks land. But, I also have no problem with someone who has an ethical disagreement with dog hunting. I know hunters who dont hunt with archery equipment because they believe their is a higher liklihood of wounding and losing a deer. I have hunted in Zimbabwe with professional hunters - guides - who believed to be “hunting proper” - as they called it - you got on a track and tracked the animal down. Waterhole hunting was not an ethical way to hunt - in their opinion.

Baiting is the same way. I probably spend four or five thousand dollars a year on feed for deer. I have killed one deer over bait. I didnt bait for years because I had an ethical problem with it. When I did start baiting, it was five or six years before I could bring myself to hunt within sight of bait. I have only killed one deer over bait. I have an ethical aversion to baiting.

Fortunately, I dont know of a state that requires hunters to use dogs to run deer - or hunt over bait. It is an individual choice us hunters make.

View attachment 55139
“I was just going to retrieve my dog, he doesn’t know where the property line is”. I don’t care. I don’t want you on my land PERIOD. If the land you hunt is too small to keep the dogs on your property the whole time take up another hobby or go somewhere else.
This is the biggest problem with running dogs. They cant read signs. I know folks who have quit deer dogging, hog hunting, and coon hunting because of the difficulty of keeping the dogs on the permitted property. Running dogs are becoming a rarity.

N)
We have the “dogs can’t read signs” problem with hog doggers in my area. While I have no problem with guys who catch hogs with dogs, lots of them have the attitude that they are doing you a favor by running dogs all over your place. Most of the land in East Texas consists of small acreage that a bunch of dogs can cover in 15 minutes to an hour, then they are on another property. My biggest problem, besides the tresspassing part, is they do this mostly after deer season when does are pregnant or fawns have just been born. No way that is good on the doe#, b3cause they don’t know that hog dogs don’t chase deer, they just know the woods are full of dogs.

N)
We have the “dogs can’t read signs” problem with hog doggers in my area. While I have no problem with guys who catch hogs with dogs, lots of them have the attitude that they are doing you a favor by running dogs all over your place. Most of the land in East Texas consists of small acreage that a bunch of dogs can cover in 15 minutes to an hour, then they are on another property. My biggest problem, besides the tresspassing part, is they do this mostly after deer season when does are pregnant or fawns have just been born. No way that is good on the doe#, b3cause they don’t know that hog dogs don’t chase deer, they just know the woods are full of dogs.
We have the same problem, as I imagine everwhere they run hog dogs does too. In a way, it is a shame. Most of the locals have quit hog dogging because of the liklihood of confrontations when the dogs leave the property.

I have two cattle ranching neighbors who combine own 2700 acres. Hogs are bad to root up their pastures. They used to know several folks with hog dogs, give them a call, and a few days later, hog doggers would show up, kill 15 or 20, and run the rest off for a month or two. Now, they cant hardly find someone to run hogs. Then, they have to set up a trap, start pre baiting a trap - for maybe a couple of weeks - and when they do catch - they have to do something with the carcasses.

USDA traps a lot of hogs here and they have really diminished in number. But, even with that, I know folks who are aggravated it is govt money - taxpayer dollars as we have been reminded - instead of letting some local trap for a fee.

. If anyone believes a deer’s fate is sealed when a dog gets on its trail - I have some ocean front property in Arkansas you need to buy. Far more bucks are killed slipping out or slipping back than the bucks killed in front of the dogs.
You must have misunderstood what I said……..The individual deer that I’m called into track and find is either mortally wounded before I get there or he isnt…..The hunter has already sealed his fate with the original shot one way or the other. There are no standers and there are no other deer slipping out that people are killing. There's only me and the hunter going after one individual deer that has already been shot.

Seeing @roymunson 's post got me to wondering. I've seen some guys mention that baiting is allowed in their state to aid in harvesting more deer. Is it possible that all of that bait/feed out there is creating the problem they're trying to solve? I've got an image of an open feedlot look to some of these herds where feeders never go empty. I would imagine the deer would just keep reproducing as long as they've got nutrition to carry the added numbers.

In my country, the exact opposite happens. We are not even allowed to do pure salt. Winter cleans the plate really well and that puts a cap on the number of deer we have.

Just something I got to wondering about.
I could see where you could substitute food plotting everywhere baiting is used in that. I seriously doubt food plotting would be as big of a thing as it is if you couldn't routinely kill deer over them in some situations. I doubt hunting over farmer's ag crops would be as big as it is if it didn't up the odds either in some situations. I've hunted bait in areas where it could guarantee getting a shot at a deer, and I've hunted bait where you could guarantee not getting a shot at a deer. Substitute food plot or ag field for bait in that last sentence, and I've hunted it. And, I do see a difference in baiting/foodplot/supplemental feeding.

When a tracker goes out on any given call they never know for sure what they’re dealing with until after the deer is located. You can do a hit site assessment and guess at what will unfold but the only way to know for sure is to track to the deer, locate it, and then let the dog assess the condition of the deer. He may be dead, a little bit alive, a lot alive, and anything in between. A lot of that depends on the amount of time that has passed and not simply where the deer is hit.

But those live ones are the ones where some folks try to make a stink and say that we’re just running deer with dogs. The reality is that we’re using the dog to assess if it’s a fatal hit or not…..It’s not just as simple as if he runs then he’s ok…..Those gut shots get up and run with intestines hanging out of them…….and I consider those leg shots to be fatal too. Will there be 1 in a 1000 that make it with three legs??.....Maybe…….But I don’t see that as a reason to throw the baby out with the bathwater……The other 999 will die within a few days around here when the coyotes find them. A lot of them don’t even make it overnight.

You must have misunderstood what I said……..The individual deer that I’m called into track and find is either mortally wounded before I get there or he isnt…..The hunter has already sealed his fate with the original shot one way or the other. There are no standers and there are no other deer slipping out that people are killing. There's only me and the hunter going after one individual deer that has already been shot.

I took the quoted post as referring to hunting with dogs, not using dogs for recovery after the shot.