Another "To tube, or not to tube" thread

haha, I always dread that last cage. I use a 5 gallon bucket of stone (this year I actually used the big chainsaw) to hold the wire down while cutting with bolt cutters. Usually goes relatively smoothly until the final 20-25' as you say! I won't even let the kids help stand on it, if that stuff lets loose, someone might lose an eye. Then all future years you still have to contend with the tightly coiled final cage when you go to open it up and prune the tree and maintain things.

I actually cut some heavy wire (coat hanger) about 18" long and attached snap hooks to end of the remesh, and then to the winch on my Mule. I roll out the remesh roll and anchor with 2 cinder blocks while cutting. As you said, that cut end is deadly if it whips loose, keeping that cut end secure is really important.

Concrete remesh from Menards is back down to pre-pandemic levels. I just saw some for $106 (after rebate) for a 150 ft roll.

One of the great things about the remesh is that it is heavy duty enough to be reused over and over. On the home farm, we probably have 30 or so that are getting rotated around as the trees get big enough. I prefer to use hardware cloth (also reusable) to protect against buck rubs once the trees get to be about 3 inches in diameter and above the browse lines. I am probably a little different in that I like to get the cages off of the trees as soon as possible. I think they are more likely to be properly pruned, inspected, treated, etc. if you aren't having to remove a cage every time.

Just left Menards. 50' of the 2"x4" welded wire was $85. So way more pricey for a lesser cage.

I cant find where my pictures are, but I use about 2 to 3ft of 48" 1/4" mesh. Enough to keep rabbits and mice out of the trunk. Then I take branches and make a mess for the deer to go through. They don't like poking their heads around branches or stepping on logs. They're survived since dec 2022 like that up north.

I got atlest 300ft of odds n ned 5 and 6ft 2x4 mesh pieces. Like 6ft to 30ft sections. I paid $150 for it on craiglist. You keep your eyes open, you find deals.

Folks have used the 275 gal tote cages successfully. Some places give them away.

I have used these tubes with great success.
Combitube
But eventually you will need to cage the tree because deer just give them a haircut as it emerges from the tube.
Today, I have moved away from tubes and simply wrap the tree and cage it from the start. These wraps are economical and seem to work pretty well unless porcupines fancy them.
Flex guard wrap
I like the looks of those wraps. What are they made out of? Hoping they will be high enough for me in mid Michigan. I usually use 2-3ft window screen. Would rather not deal with window screen anymore and just buy something precut.

Anymore I just use 4’ farm fence new or used cut ten foot long made into cage, I anchor them with an electric fence post on each cage.

If deer browse the low stuff I don’t care I prune it off after first year anyway. If they start trying to browse above the cage I just ad a ring of 2’ chicken wire around the top of cage.

Cheap and simple.

I like the looks of those wraps. What are they made out of? Hoping they will be high enough for me in mid Michigan. I usually use 2-3ft window screen. Would rather not deal with window screen anymore and just buy something precut.
They are a vinyl type fiber reinforced material, they have a memory and wrap themselves around the tree with little hassle. Should expand as tree grows. You have to check them periodically as a few have either blown off( not likely) or porcupines pull them off. I have used them for about 5 years and they've held up well to the elements. They do not withstand a string trimmer.
I cannot recall how tall they are, maybe 22" ??? I wish they were a bit higher but in open wind blown spaces they are tall enough to remain above the snow in NE lower Michigan lately.