Green cover summer release and fall release pics.

5F6A5C60-E778-4440-A719-C20A633B4393.jpeg

Could you explain a little bit about the process. 1st picture is a jungle(awesome). 2nd picture is the same field? Time frame between the two?

Could you explain a little bit about the process. 1st picture is a jungle(awesome). 2nd picture is the same field? Time frame between the two?
Sure. Summer release planted with drill in May of 2022. Was allowed to grow till mid September. In this field, I mowed, and in early October 2022 I drilled fall release. That second pic is march 5 2023, third is march 31 2023.

In some fields I mowed them planted. Others I drilled into standing crops. I liked the drilling and leave standing better. That is what I will do from now on.

Last edited:
Here is an another field from last year. Had kudzu in it. I sprayed in June, then in July I drilled sorghum and millet. In early October I drilled directly into standing crop (rye, blue lupine, clover). The pics will be post kudzu spray (July 2022), me drilling fall mix into summer mix (oct 2022), what it looked like in nov 22, then a pic from today.
BE0C3E6C-11EC-4234-837E-408474443706.jpegEA902D58-2099-49E5-B445-2B3B30BB386E.jpeg95F429AA-4F9D-48A4-AAE9-81CAAB3CEC28.jpegBE514C32-BA6A-4253-B72C-A825FA221A91.jpeg
On side note that field was sprayed with max dose of aminopyralid amd triclopyr for kudzu in June 22. You can see that planted grasses grew easily one month later and fall crops planted in October have done great.

Have you done a land tour? I may have missed it. Your place looks great from what I’ve seen.

I did a mini one I while back. I’ll do a bigger one soon. I never feel like I have things like I want them! Haha
So I don’t have to show my ineptitude with the search function what is the breakdown. State, acreage, etc

So I don’t have to show my ineptitude with the search function what is the breakdown. State, acreage, etc
300 acres. Alabama. I’m at the very northern edge of what they call the black belt.

Pine plantation. Had all the pine cut and replanted in longleaf pine.

Google longleaf savanna. That is ultimate goal for my property. Takes herbicides and a lot of burning. I have some 2yo longleaf, some 1, and planting an additional 50 this winter (hence the helicopter site prep in August).

Have about 70 acres in hardwoods. 3 ponds. I plant about 20 acres a year. 15 in plots and 5 in roads and trails. I love native grasses and plant a lot around plots and within the planted pine.

Thanks for asking. I love it. It’s where I feel most connected to God. Sounds corny but true.

I have a Kubota mx5400, 6’ Goliath crimper, landpride 3p600 drill, 6’ Firminator, 700lb spreader, rake grapple, bucket, and forks for fel, 100 gallon 3pt sprayer, 6’ brush cutter, and 6’ flail mower I haven’t used yet. I have some equipment for my Polaris ranger I use some but find myself using it less and less.

300 acres. Alabama. I’m at the very northern edge of what they call the black belt.

Pine plantation. Had all the pine cut and replanted in longleaf pine.

Google longleaf savanna. That is ultimate goal for my property. Takes herbicides and a lot of burning. I have some 2yo longleaf, some 1, and planting an additional 50 this winter (hence the helicopter site prep in August).

Have about 70 acres in hardwoods. 3 ponds. I plant about 20 acres a year. 15 in plots and 5 in roads and trails. I love native grasses and plant a lot around plots and within the planted pine.

Thanks for asking. I love it. It’s where I feel most connected to God. Sounds corny but true.
That’s awesome! I’ve seen longleaf sites in South Georgia. They are gorgeous and unique. What is your management strategy on your property for the deer? How do those ponds fish? I’m trying to whip mine into shape. It’s relatively new but I didn’t build it or stock it so I’m trying to feel out a strategy.

That’s awesome! I’ve seen longleaf sites in South Georgia. They are gorgeous and unique. What is your management strategy on your property for the deer? How do those ponds fish? I’m trying to whip mine into shape. It’s relatively new but I didn’t build it or stock it so I’m trying to feel out a strategy.
I had the alabama wildlife biologist come and draw up a plan for me when I bought it in 2019. Mainly cut timber, plant longleaf, and burn. Clear cuts are the best deer habitat. Food and cover everywhere. Commercially planted pine are deserts. I planted wide spaced on longleaf and will keep thinned for maximum sun to ground. In south that’s really all you need.

My plots are mainly to congregate deer and something fun for me to do.

I built the ponds this past winter. I stocked with Redfin and bluegill breem, minnows, and grass carp. This June I will stock f1 hybrid bass. You want the bait fish to have time to spawn before adding the trophy fish. In the smallest pond I did catfish instead of bass.

I would get the state fishery people to come check out pond. They love doing it. Will shock it and see what’s in it, and test water. Usually they tell you to kill fish and start over. A pond stocked correctly (I fertilize and feed too) is self sustaining. Once out of balance it is very hard to bring it back into balance. My ponds are not huge. 2.5, 2, and 1 acre.

My grandad taught me alot of this stuff, but I didn’t do for years while training and in my career. Been back in it for 4 years and I love it. Had to learn alot on my own, from here, reading, and befriending the biologists. Hell I emailed grant woods and he and I email back and forth now. These wildlife people love otherS like us trying to leave things a little better than when we found them.

Nice looking plots bud, and I may be a little jealous of your tractor too lol

So the Summer Release is terminated with just mowing? It looks like a good diverse mix, I have honey bees so I would rather not spray at all if possible, and so far I haven't except the initial termination of the goldenrod and native grasses to establish the 1 acre plot. This is only my 2nd year working on this so always trying to learn.

Nice looking plots bud, and I may be a little jealous of your tractor too lol

So the Summer Release is terminated with just mowing? It looks like a good diverse mix, I have honey bees so I would rather not spray at all if possible, and so far I haven't except the initial termination of the goldenrod and native grasses to establish the 1 acre plot. This is only my 2nd year working on this so always trying to learn.
I do not terminate the summer plot at all now. I did mow some last year because it was my first year to do all no till and I was learning. But Grant Woods told me not to terminate it and the change in Weather would terminate for me. I did that on a few fields and had the best success. Also the standing summer green crops like Milo and millet, provide vertical cover in the field.

I do not terminate the summer plot at all now. I did mow some last year because it was my first year to do all no till and I was learning. But Grant Woods told me not to terminate it and the change in Weather would terminate for me. I did that on a few fields and had the best success. Also the standing summer green crops like Milo and millet, provide vertical cover in the field.

I really like the idea of planting a fall cover mix into the standing warm season crop and letting the weather terminate it. I'm going to give it a go this year. I've been terminating the warm season crop when I plant the fall crop and the results have been poor, mostly due to lack of rain I'm sure.