Green cover summer release and fall release pics.

I really like the idea of planting a fall cover mix into the standing warm season crop and letting the weather terminate it. I'm going to give it a go this year. I've been terminating the warm season crop when I plant the fall crop and the results have been poor, mostly due to lack of rain I'm sure.
I also like that it keeps a crop going all the time. That’s the start of hunting season for me, nice to not have a bare flat plot. The fields I kept the summer crop standing got more usage. My guess is there was food there, and the vertical cover made them feel safer.

Also I mix my own seed now, but I think it’s easiest to start with vitalize or green cover mix to get started.

They spensive. I did my main road about 1000 yards to barn. Ugh. I have lots more I would love too but I would go broke. I try to do a little more a year.
My old farm had about 2 miles of roads in gravel. You could have driven about everywhere in a minivan. My new farm looks like an obstacle course. I can’t stand bad roads and mud

My old farm had about 2 miles of roads in gravel. You could have driven about everywhere in a minivan. My new farm looks like an obstacle course. I can’t stand bad roads and mud
Me either.

I did hear a funny story. My buddy has a great 700 acre family farm with all gravel roads. One time he was talking to an older guy and he said when we were kids we would poach that place all the time. Said it was easy with gravel roads bc you could always hear someone coming a mile away so we would just hide. Haha

The clover picture with boot has four clovers in it. Fixation balansa (tear drop shape with pointed tip), frosty beseem (long thin leaves), crimson (biggest leaf, lighter color), and aberlasting (a white hybrid, has the white markings mid leaf).

I have a Kubota mx5400, 6’ Goliath crimper, landpride 3p600 drill, 6’ Firminator, 700lb spreader, rake grapple, bucket, and forks for fel, 100 gallon 3pt sprayer, 6’ brush cutter, and 6’ flail mower I haven’t used yet. I have some equipment for my Polaris ranger I use some but find myself using it less and less.
Hey I have a question about the 3p600 and your mx5400, it doesn’t struggle at all? By the “specs” it would seem to be towards the top end of the weight ratings? I was trying to order a 3p500 but it looks like Land Pride has discontinued it. And wanted to be sure the 3p600 was still good to go. I do have some steeper hills where I am in KY than you might have by the looks of your pictures.

Hey I have a question about the 3p600 and your mx5400, it doesn’t struggle at all? By the “specs” it would seem to be towards the top end of the weight ratings? I was trying to order a 3p500 but it looks like Land Pride has discontinued it. And wanted to be sure the 3p600 was still good to go. I do have some steeper hills where I am in KY than you might have by the looks of your pictures.
Zero issues at all. Had fully loaded drill and crimper on front and no issues.

Everything is looking good for you omicron. Nice job.

I have to say....it looks like your Alabama weather is about 3 months ahead of my Upper Michigan weather....

Here is what I had in March about the same time you were planting your summer release...
IMG_0976.jpg

IMG_0967.jpg

The snow finally melted about 2 weeks ago. I got out yesterday to plant some crabapples but you can see that we don't even have any buds on the trees yet, much less leaves.
IMG_1316.jpg

The aeration holes from last year's radish haven't even closed up yet...
IMG_1312.jpg

I tried planting a summer release (my own mix) last year and then a fall release later on but our growing season here is just too short to do much justice to 2 plantings per year. I do have some leftover seed from my summer release which I will drill into my last year's brassica plots once the soil warms up a little but my future cover crops will be one planting per year in early to mid-August. I will continue to plant alfalfa and brassicas as well. I do get somewhat of a second cover crop from my brassica plantings because I include a little clover in the mix when I plant them in July and then I broadcast some rye over top of them a month or so later. Still pretty simple rotations.

Thanks for sharing your photos.

Last edited:
Everything is looking good for you omicron. Nice job.

I have to say....it looks like your Alabama weather is about 3 months ahead of my Upper Michigan weather....

Here is what I had in March about the same time you were planting your summer release...
View attachment 52180

View attachment 52181

The snow finally melted about 2 weeks ago. I got out yesterday to plant some crabapples but you can see that we don't even have any buds on the trees yet, much less leaves.
View attachment 52182

The aeration holes from last year's radish haven't even closed up yet...
View attachment 52183

I tried planting a summer release (my own mix) last year and then a fall release later on but our growing season here is just too short to do much justice to 2 plantings per year. I do have some leftover seed from my summer release which I will drill into my last year's brassica plots once the soil warms up a little but my future cover crops will be one planting per years in early to mid-August. I will continue to plant alfalfa and brassicas as well. I do get somewhat of a second cover crop from my brassica plantings because I include a little clover in the mix when I plant them in July and then I broadcast some rye over top of them a month or so later. Still pretty simple rotations.

Thanks for sharing your photos.
I’ve said it on here before, I wish I could do one planting like you guys. I’m trying to do some perennial Cloverfields that I manage more like your fields up north. I just have to deal with a lot of weed issues.

I’ve said it on here before, I wish I could do one planting like you guys. I’m trying to do some perennial Cloverfields that I manage more like your fields up north. I just have to deal with a lot of weed issues.
I guess there are advantages as well as disadvantages anywhere you go. Clover is easy to grow and maintain up here for sure but it goes dormant early so while it is great for spring and summer forage, it really isn't much of an attractant for hunting season.

You positive that they discontinued the 3p500?

That would be a bummer.

You positive that they discontinued the 3p500?

That would be a bummer.
I read that somewhere too. I just bought a 3P500 for my Kubota L3560. I thought I read somewhere that the 3P600 was category 2. I think I could easily handle the 3P600.....but planting time is like an extra hour or so over the 5 footer......no big deal.

I like the pics and seeing how you operate Omi. Somehow, I missed this thread until tonight.

I am wondering how steering experience worked with your loader mounted crimper? I got too many twisty fields to make that work for me. It's weird to see you rolling your rye already.....when mine will not be ready until late June or July.

Really liked seeing your pics above. I've come to be on the same page as Wild Thing.....too short of a growing season for the summer release planting. I just lost my snow a week ago. The winter rye is already feeding my deer after a long hard winter. I'm in AZ for another week.....but anxious to get back to MN soon and have a look at my property.

Below is the beauty of winter rye for me......NOTHING else is green yet....except for that rye.....and the deer are on it first thing. Then the clover gets going.....and lots of other forms and natural foods will provide. But the deer are really in need of nutrition right NOW......and that Cereal Rye provides.
spring 23.jpeg

Last edited: