Green cover summer release and fall release pics.

You positive that they discontinued the 3p500?

That would be a bummer.

0749d76deb1e940c2b23d007c4cff112.png

This is from Land Pride. I ‘think’ I have a 3p500 on order from a local dealer but communication has been very lacking. I was worried the 3p600 would be too heavy for me but it seems like I would be ok from the feedback.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I read that somewhere too. I just bought a 3P500 for my Kubota L3560. I thought I read somewhere that the 3P600 was category 2. I think I could easily handle the 3P600.....but planting time is like an extra hour or so over the 5 footer......no big deal.

I like the pics and seeing how you operate Omi. Somehow, I missed this thread until tonight.

I am wondering how steering experience worked with your loader mounted crimper? I got too many twisty fields to make that work for me. It's weird to see you rolling your rye already.....when mine will not be ready until late June or July.

Really liked seeing your pics above. I've come to be on the same page as Wild Thing.....too short of a growing season for the summer release planting. I just lost my snow a week ago. The winter rye is already feeding my deer after a long hard winter. I'm in AZ for another week.....but anxious to get back to MN soon and have a look at my property.

Below is the beauty of winter rye for me......NOTHING else is green yet....except for that rye.....and the deer are on it first thing. Then the clover gets going.....and lots of other forms and natural foods will provide. But the deer are really in need of nutrition right NOW......and that Cereal Rye provides.
View attachment 52203

Don't be in too big of a hurry to get home from AZ Foggy. I just got home from Florida a week or so ago and this is what I woke up to this morning...May 1st in the U.P.

IMG_1342.jpg

Should have parked my truck in the barn last night.

I read that somewhere too. I just bought a 3P500 for my Kubota L3560. I thought I read somewhere that the 3P600 was category 2. I think I could easily handle the 3P600.....but planting time is like an extra hour or so over the 5 footer......no big deal.

I like the pics and seeing how you operate Omi. Somehow, I missed this thread until tonight.

I am wondering how steering experience worked with your loader mounted crimper? I got too many twisty fields to make that work for me. It's weird to see you rolling your rye already.....when mine will not be ready until late June or July.

Really liked seeing your pics above. I've come to be on the same page as Wild Thing.....too short of a growing season for the summer release planting. I just lost my snow a week ago. The winter rye is already feeding my deer after a long hard winter. I'm in AZ for another week.....but anxious to get back to MN soon and have a look at my property.

Below is the beauty of winter rye for me......NOTHING else is green yet....except for that rye.....and the deer are on it first thing. Then the clover gets going.....and lots of other forms and natural foods will provide. But the deer are really in need of nutrition right NOW......and that Cereal Rye provides.
View attachment 52203
Good to hear from you Foggy!

I would really like to try out one of those roller/crimpers....but my cultipacker actually does a pretty decent job of rolling the rye:

I do this in July prior to planting brassicas up here. The rye seed isn't viable yet so I don't get any volunteer rye.
IMG_3357.jpg

IMG_3359.jpg

IMG_3360.jpg

My drill plants right through the thatch with no problem at all
IMG_3434 (1).jpeg

IMG_3553.jpg

IMG_3569.jpg

As much as I would like the roller/crimper....I guess if it ain't broke - don't fix it.

I would really like to try out one of those roller/crimpers....but my cultipacker actually does a pretty decent job of rolling the rye:

I do this in July prior to planting brassicas up here. The rye seed isn't viable yet so I don't get any volunteer rye.
View attachment 52205

View attachment 52206

View attachment 52207

My drill plants right through the thatch with no problem at all
View attachment 52208

View attachment 52209

View attachment 52210

As much as I would like the roller/crimper....I guess if it ain't broke - don't fix it.
That looks awesome!

Don't be in too big of a hurry to get home from AZ Foggy. I just got home from Florida a week or so ago and this is what I woke up to this morning...May 1st in the U.P.
You guys in the north country can't get a break from winter this year. Seems the northern parts of Minn., Wisc., and Mich. can't escape the snow. Hoping for some warmth for you gents.

We do the same at camp here in Pa. Roll with cultipacker.

You guys have some nice plots going.

You guys in the north country can't get a break from winter this year. Seems the northern parts of Minn., Wisc., and Mich. can't escape the snow. Hoping for some warmth for you gents.

Thanks @Bowsnbucks - looking forward to some warmer weather for sure. All the schools in our county are on a 2 hour delay today but the schools in the Western and Northern Upper Peninsula are all closed. Spring will eventually get here....I hope!

^^^ One thing that could be of interest to you Wild Thing.......is to use one of the TITAN QA plates attached to your loader. It has the means to attach three point attachments. This would allow you to front mount your cultipacker (like Omicron does with his crimper) to your front end loader. Then you could roll and drill seed at the same time. A culitpacker would not affect your steering or develop side loading like a roller crimper would.....IMO.

So far....I have found that I am better off to plant green into the standing rye.....and roller crimp it later.

^^^ One thing that could be of interest to you Wild Thing.......is to use one of the TITAN QA plates attached to your loader. It has the means to attach three point attachments. This would allow you to front mount your cultipacker (like Omicron does with his crimper) to your front end loader. Then you could roll and drill seed at the same time. A culitpacker would not affect your steering or develop side loading like a roller crimper would.....IMO.

So far....I have found that I am better off to plant green into the standing rye.....and roller crimp it later.

I have "planted green" as well Foggy. Not sure if I really have a preference other than maybe a little less compaction issues over the seed if I roll first and then plant....
IMG_6175.jpeg

IMG_8349.jpg

Either way....I usually stand up on the tractor and raise the loader boom looking for these little rascals...
IMG_8358.jpg

Either way....I usually stand up on the tractor and raise the loader boom looking for these little rascals...
Look at you - being a good DAD for those little ones!! Nice work, WT.

Just for my info - what's "planting green" ??

Look at you - being a good DAD for those little ones!! Nice work, WT.

Just for my info - what's "planting green" ??
Always have something growing in the field. Live roots and plants. Plant new crop info living last crop. Minimal tillage.

^ Yep......IMO planting green is planting into a standing live crop vs one that has been mowed or rolled down and terminated. With a heavy stand of rye it can be difficult after its rolled to get the seed openers to penetrate the soil so you can deposit the seeds. Also by rolling the crop it becomes somewhat important to use a drill in the same direction to avoid plugging your drill with crop debris.

^ Yep......IMO planting green is planting into a standing live crop vs one that has been mowed or rolled down and terminated. With a heavy stand of rye it can be difficult after its rolled to get the seed openers to penetrate the soil so you can deposit the seeds. Also by rolling the crop it becomes somewhat important to use a drill in the same direction to avoid plugging your drill with crop debris.
I’ll tell you foggy, rolling first and planting in same direction is the way to go. It’s what the big farmers do, and I’ll tell you it works for me too.

Look at these planted areas.

IMG_0813.jpeg

I’ll tell you foggy, rolling first and planting in same direction is the way to go. It’s what the big farmers do, and I’ll tell you it works for me too.

View attachment 52257
Is that the fall release? Is it all rye or are there clovers in there?

View attachment 52257

I agree @omicron1792. I have done it both ways but I prefer rolling it first and then drilling into it (in the same direction, of course).

With these coulters and openers on the LP 606NT they cut right through heavy thatch with no issues...

IMG_6438.jpeg

IMG_6407.jpeg

IMG_6234.jpeg

Even rolled thatch this heavy - no problem at all...
IMG_3360.jpg

This is an example of "Planting Green" - Just running the drill over the standing cover crop without rolling or crimping it first...
IMG_6179.jpeg

I "plant green" when I drill winter rye into standing clover as well. Works pretty good...
IMG_3763.jpg

Last edited:
Is that the fall release? Is it all rye or are there clovers in there?
Yeah. I added more rye. Fall release doesn’t have enough grain for spring rolling and weed allelopathy. So added 50lbs more if just cereal rye. May go higher next year.

So yes some clover in there too.

IMG_0843.jpeg
IMG_0815.jpeg

Yeah. I added more rye. Fall release doesn’t have enough grain for spring rolling and weed allelopathy. So added 50lbs more if just cereal rye. May go higher next year.
Refresh my memory, do you have the 3p600? Or the NT version?

Refresh my memory, do you have the 3p600? Or the NT version?
Just the 3p600. I’ve posted a lot about not needing or wanting the front coulters.

Some disagree. Wild thing has a nice 3p606nt that works great for him. My fields are too curvy for non 3pt model.