Green cover summer release and fall release pics.

When you drill WR into established clovers, does the clover still do well the following spring??

Absolutely. I just spray them with Cleth or a light does of Gly and it nukes the rye and clovers come back strong, as usual...

I don't usually drill them at a very high rate - probably should up the rate some.... But they do provide a little extra forage in the fall and again in the spring...

Here comes the rye on August 26th - probably a week to 10 days after I drilled them...
IMG_3857 (1).jpeg

This is what they look like the following spring when it is time to nuke them...
IMG_4659.jpeg

I am sure if I broadcasted into this clover the rye would not do near as well but they come up fine when drilled...
IMG_5531.jpeg

Once they get this tall, the deer don't have any interest in the rye anyway so I go ahead and nuke them...usually early to mid-May.
IMG_7936.jpg

Here we are on May 26th and the rye is dead but the clovers are still doing well.
IMG_5616.jpeg

Last edited:
When you drill WR into established clovers, does the clover still do well the following spring??
It has for me. I put down 100#/ acre each fall. I want the biomass, nutrients, and mulch over the next summer. Also keeping the ground covered with mulch retains so much better moisture......which is a HUGE benefit in my sandy soils.

I have been drilling winter rye into my clover plots about Sept 1.....maybe earlier if a rain is forecast. The rye seems to compete pretty well in my clover and as the clover diminishes in late October the rye really takes ahold....especially with any rain and decent weather. Last fall I'd say my rye was 10" high and lots of use by the deer. This spring it's the first thing to green up and gets considerable use by the now starving deer. Clover will follow soon as the ground temps improve. One or the other is always keeping weeds in check (by crowding out any space for them to grow) as the other uses the nutrients provided.

As lick creek said: Clover and rye go together like peanut butter and jelly. ;).

EDIT: Do yourself a big favor....and watch the hour-long video posted by SD yesterday under the "soil fundementals Library" thread. Powerful info there.

Last edited:
IMG_0899.jpegIMG_0905.jpegIMG_0907.jpegIMG_0908.jpeg
Foggy. Way to do it is lay it down with crimper and drill in same direction. Whether one pass or two.

^. Yep......but at times there could be a value in planting green.....then rolling. Not sure which way I will go this year.....mabye try both methods. Lots of farmers are planting beans and corn green.....and roll about two weeks later. Doesn't seem to damage the crops.....and some even say it stimulates them. Either way.....you keep some armor on the soil and weeds in check.

Are those pics from this year? The snow is just gone at my place. Migrating from OZ to MN tomorrow. Anxious to see my place.

^. Yep......but at times there could be a value in planting green.....then rolling. Not sure which way I will go this year.....mabye try both methods. Lots of farmers are planting beans and corn green.....and roll about two weeks later. Doesn't seem to damage the crops.....and some even say it stimulates them. Either way.....you keep some armor on the soil and weeds in check.

Are those pics from this year? The snow is just gone at my place. Migrating from OZ to MN tomorrow. Anxious to see my place.
Safe travels Foggy.

From today.

Rolling first is still planting green imo.

I think the planting and rolling 2 weeks later is soybean specific bc needing to get beans in ground before rye is ready to roll.

There are guys out there now perfecting organic no-till corn. They put a cover of alfalfa in the year before and then plant right into the standing alfalfa. I think they wait about two weeks as well and roller crimp it down. What was once a pain in alfalfa (lodging) has become a big benefit. Rick Clark and Jimmy Emmons on youtube have given presentations on it. Not sure how they get that to pencil out, but they do.

That’s cool stuff. I love ingenuity.

Farmers though are planting monocultures for harvest and ease of termination. With the blends we plant I think the exact tiMing is less applicable.

There are guys out there now perfecting organic no-till corn. They put a cover of alfalfa in the year before and then plant right into the standing alfalfa. I think they wait about two weeks as well and roller crimp it down. What was once a pain in alfalfa (lodging) has become a big benefit. Rick Clark and Jimmy Emmons on youtube have given presentations on it. Not sure how they get that to pencil out, but they do.
I saw that Rick Clark video as well and I have to say that I was surprised that he was able to terminate the alfalfa so easily.

Here is a recent convo mostly about Rick Clark. Some good and some bad in there. Some of his neighbors might not agree he's perfected it.

Sweet pics !

Is that an All Seasons broadcast feeder?

bill

Great vertical cover coming along!

Two pics of summer plantings from above. I would say it works!
View attachment 53868View attachment 53869
Looks good omicron. I can see the summer & fall release plantings will both work well in the warmer climates but we still had snow on the ground up here when you planted that. Our growing season is just a little too short for us to have the kind of success that you are having with a summer planted cover crop. I have grown to just live with a fall planted cover crop which over-winters and extends into the following year planting:

This is what my cover crops look like this week. These were planted last August.
IMG_1974.jpg

I planted a 12-seed cover crop but about all that over-winters is the clovers, hairy vetch, and this year I included some chicory which over-winters well...and of course, the rye and wheat.
IMG_1916.jpg

I mowed my switchgrass plots this year...
IMG_1954.jpg

and found that the thatch makes great mulch for my oak seedlings...
IMG_1957.jpg

IMG_1973.jpg

Anyway, I was out watering the oaks yesterday and drove right by a nice buck that was bedded in the standing cover crop - not 15-20 feet off the edge. He layed right there and just watched my drive by....
IMG_1982.jpg

Of course, the fawns like to lay in these standing cover crops as well...
IMG_8358.jpg

I will be terminating some of these cover crops in 2 weeks or so to plant my brassicas. I am guessing you will be drilling your fall cover crop into the standing summer release later this summer?

Great stuff wildthing. I’m jealous sometimes of y’all’s ability to just do one planting season instead of two. But I do add tons of OM to the soil. I also plant directly into the standing summer crop this fall. Gives great vertical cover to the field most of the hunting season.

I went coyote hunting on property last night. Saw tons of deer, turkey, rabbits. Made me feel like I’m doing some good for the place.

Sweet pics !

Is that an All Seasons broadcast feeder?

bill
I’ll check next time I’m down. They are built like a tank though, hard as hell to move.

Looks good omicron. I can see the summer & fall release plantings will both work well in the warmer climates but we still had snow on the ground up here when you planted that. Our growing season is just a little too short for us to have the kind of success that you are having with a summer planted cover crop. I have grown to just live with a fall planted cover crop which over-winters and extends into the following year planting:

This is what my cover crops look like this week. These were planted last August.
View attachment 53879

I planted a 12-seed cover crop but about all that over-winters is the clovers, hairy vetch, and this year I included some chicory which over-winters well...and of course, the rye and wheat.
View attachment 53880

I mowed my switchgrass plots this year...
View attachment 53882

and found that the thatch makes great mulch for my oak seedlings...
View attachment 53883

View attachment 53884

Anyway, I was out watering the oaks yesterday and drove right by a nice buck that was bedded in the standing cover crop - not 15-20 feet off the edge. He layed right there and just watched my drive by....
View attachment 53885

Of course, the fawns like to lay in these standing cover crops as well...
View attachment 53886

I will be terminating some of these cover crops in 2 weeks or so to plant my brassicas. I am guessing you will be drilling your fall cover crop into the standing summer release later this summer?
I actually don’t plant fall crop till early October! I’m thinking of drilling clovers, brassicas, and about 50lbs/acre of grains (oats/wheat/triticale) in late September then broadcast 100lbs/acre of rye 2-3 weeks later. Take a page out of your and foggy’s books!

I actually don’t plant fall crop till early October! I’m thinking of drilling clovers, brassicas, and about 50lbs/acre of grains (oats/wheat/triticale) in late September then broadcast 100lbs/acre of rye 2-3 weeks later. Take a page out of your and foggy’s books!

Same in east texas

High temp, minimal rain, and army worm siege preclude earlier planting

bill

Got some real good (and long overdue) rains here the past two days. Nearly 4.5" total of rainfall. Hard to resist drilling into the moisture we got.......but I need to stay on course and terminate my clover first before drilling brassica into it. I've fallen into that trap before! Looking at the long range forecast......more rains will come. I'm keeping the faith......and my plan.

Likely willl terminate my clover / rye with herbicides on Tuesday.....and drill my fall brassica and clover mix on July 11th (or so).