All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Green cover summer release and fall release pics.

^^^^^ Wow! you guys are on a roll here today. Lots of good intel above. Earlier I was surfing about the inter webs......trying to find a chart with common seed rates and weights to use when making a blend. Seems this information is hard to come by. I think I am going to make two different charts. One for Large Seed Box seeds - with the number of seeds per gram / oz./ pound. And another for Small seed box seeds with similar weights. Also a pure stand rate and mix rate data (I think).

This may be a rainy day project or it could even wait until winter. But it would be nice to have a "what if" chart as a starting point to blend various seed mixes from legumes, brassicas, and grains. I know that Green Cover Crop has their mix program on line......and I have used that a bit. But it's hard to find the data I'm suggesting all in one place when you need it. I think it could be useful when ordering seeds and when mixing seed blends.

Has anyone seen such a source available out there?........I hate to re-invent the wheel.

Pleaze Lord let mine come with an English measure of charts
Bear, You can print your own manuals from the website. I did that....and usually keep a copy at home and one with my equipment.

Pleaze Lord let mine come with an English measure of charts
I'm pretty sure if you contact Kubota they can send you an owners manual for a small fee. They have the rates in both Standard U.S. & Metric measurements.

IMG_2083.jpg

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure if you contact Kubota they can send you an owners manual for a small fee. They have the rates in both Standar U.S. & Metric measurements.

View attachment 54388
I think I will get lucky as the seller says he has 4 books on the planter
Bear

I think I will get lucky as the seller says he has 4 books on the planter
Bear
You found a good seller. I didnt get any with mine. Still....the inter webs have all that data to copy. (I wish I had original manuals tho)

^^^^^ Wow! you guys are on a roll here today. Lots of good intel above. Earlier I was surfing about the inter webs......trying to find a chart with common seed rates and weights to use when making a blend. Seems this information is hard to come by. I think I am going to make two different charts. One for Large Seed Box seeds - with the number of seeds per gram / oz./ pound. And another for Small seed box seeds with similar weights. Also a pure stand rate and mix rate data (I think).

This may be a rainy day project or it could even wait until winter. But it would be nice to have a "what if" chart as a starting point to blend various seed mixes from legumes, brassicas, and grains. I know that Green Cover Crop has their mix program on line......and I have used that a bit. But it's hard to find the data I'm suggesting all in one place when you need it. I think it could be useful when ordering seeds and when mixing seed blends.

Has anyone seen such a source available out there?........I hate to re-invent the wheel.
No but I like the sound of it !
I am thinking of re-naming you 3 guys ..your names need more dynamics to them
Obe-Wan-Kenobi #1, #2, & #3 or....how about ..
D'Artagnan, Aramis, and Porthos ...The three musketeers ..... maybe ..
The 3 Wisemen no..that won't.. my preacher would be on my butt about that one ..I'll come up with something as things move along ..

Bear

LOL.....I have been searching the web for some data on seed weights for use in mixes. One would think somebody has made some charts of this stuff.....but no. THEN.....I ran into this useless intel which is sure to screw up dozens of folks each year. Who writes this chit???

"Once planting begins, make sure the seeds are 1 to 1½ inches in depth. If broadcasting, do so at a rate of approximately 100 pounds per acre. If drilling, approximately 75 pounds per acre should do."

No mention of the seeds being used or anything else.....just do as it says. LOL.

No but I like the sound of it !
I am thinking of re-naming you 3 guys ..your names need more dynamics to them
Obe-Wan-Kenobi #1, #2, & #3 or....how about ..
D'Artagnan, Aramis, and Porthos ...The three musketeers ..... maybe ..
The 3 Wisemen no..that won't.. my preacher would be on my butt about that one ..I'll come up with something as things move along ..

Bear
We have all done just as you are currently doing.......gather information from others....and keep learning. Enjoy the journey!

When your ready....PM me your addy and I want to send you a book that I was given by another member here. (Thanks Cat!). It's a good read on regenerative ag....and may help you allot.

Planted native grass around this plot this spring. If you look in bottom right you can see one.

OK for you fellows doing chemical termination basically for cereal rye ..are you using chemical because of no crimper, weeds in early start up plant in green program or you have a perennial clover that crimping won't work on ??
The reason I ask is I am thinking laid over crimped rye is going to have a longer "thatch" life thereby "possibly" creating better shading of weeds longer as well as a better overburden for moisture retention ..

I have not read this anywhere but a bit of logic applied here ..you could put a chemically terminated milo plant in a kitchen match box 3 weeks after it has been nuked but not so that same plant were you to merely mash it over (still break the stem) to die off on the ground ..

The other question is about cultipacker deployment (since I just blew my budget on a GP 3P606NT USED) ....I intend my first fall planting to be very heavy cereal rye as I am working with dirt panned dirt needing intense plant matter reintroduced so ...

Does anyone have experience using a cultipacker to lay down the rye then perpendicular make a pass to do the actual crimping? ..

Thanks

Bear

OK for you fellows doing chemical termination basically for cereal rye ..are you using chemical because of no crimper, weeds in early start up plant in green program or you have a perennial clover that crimping won't work on ??
The reason I ask is I am thinking laid over crimped rye is going to have a longer "thatch" life thereby "possibly" creating better shading of weeds longer as well as a better overburden for moisture retention ..

I have not read this anywhere but a bit of logic applied here ..you could put a chemically terminated milo plant in a kitchen match box 3 weeks after it has been nuked but not so that same plant were you to merely mash it over (still break the stem) to die off on the ground ..

The other question is about cultipacker deployment (since I just blew my budget on a GP 3P606NT USED) ....I intend my first fall planting to be very heavy cereal rye as I am working with dirt panned dirt needing intense plant matter reintroduced so ...

Does anyone have experience using a cultipacker to lay down the rye then perpendicular make a pass to do the actual crimping? ..

Thanks

Bear

I do it every year brokenbear....but I am not spraying to terminate the rye - that is done for when I roll it with my cultipacker. I use the herbicide to terminate the clovers, vetch and any other low lying weeds that I don't want competing with my next crop.

The rye in this cover crop was planted at about 100#/acre which I think gives me adequate thatch
IMG_3357.jpg

I don't have a roller/crimper so I roll it with my cultipacker. It doesn't do as nice a job as a roller/crimper but it gets the job done. I plant brassicas in July here in Upper Michigan so this rye seed isn't viable yet and I don't need to worry about volunteer rye coming up with my brassicas. The rye is done after I crush it with the cultipacker and it isn't going to grow any more.
IMG_3359.jpg

IMG_3360.jpg
Last August I drilled rye into 3 acres of alfalfa in anticipation of rotating into brassicas there this year. I wanted to get a good kill with the first spraying and I didn't want to have to wait for maybe 4 weeks before I could plant again with something like 2-4,D which is residual in the soil. So I used Liberty - actually a generic Liberty - "Interline" which has the same active ingredient as Liberty (24.5% Glufosinate) but it has no residual, and costs quite a bit less than Liberty. I applied it at 1.4 quarts per acre in my sprayer. BTW, I drilled the rye into the alfalfa last year at only 75#/acre and it really wasn't thick enough - I think 100#/acre is about right.
IMG_2087.jpg

It has a little different color than what I usually see in my herbicides...
IMG_2088.jpg

This is 5 days after spraying and it killed everything flat out...except for a couple of strips I missed with the sprayer 😄 I just mixed up a little Glyphosate and nuked those strips before planting the next day.
IMG_2180.jpg

You will see a lot of rye, wheat or weeds sticking up some after using the cultipacker but within 3-4 weeks they are all laying down.
IMG_2188.jpg

I got 3 acres planted before getting rained out so I headed for the barn and finished up another 3 /12 acres 2 days later.
IMG_2189.jpg

These pics are from a previous year but you can see that the openers separate the thatch enough to get some sunlight to the soil and within a few days the brassicas are up.
IMG_3434 (1).jpeg

Here they are about 3 weeks later. I mix 3-4#/acre of clovers in with the brassicas. You can't see them here as they grow down before they grow up, but in the spring they will be feeding my deer. I also broadcast rye over the brassicas 4 weeks or so after germination for the same reason - feed my deer in the spring and next summer, keep my soil covered, prevent weeds from taking over, etc, etc, etc. As the cover crop breaks down it puts nutrients back into your soil. This is my 8th year since going 100% No-Till and my second year of using zero synthetic fertilizers.
IMG_3569.jpg

This works very well for me.

Last edited:
BTW Brokenbear. Your last Queston about rolling the cultipacker perpendicular after laying it down....No I do not. You could do it if you are so inclined but I have never done it myself. Like I said, that rye is about at the end of its life cycle by July here anyway. Once it is laid down with the cultipacker it stays down. I am not worried about the rye surviving at all - it is mainly the clovers which are a little difficult to terminate - especially with Glyphosate alone as a lot of clovers are pretty much Glyphosate resistant. If all I had in my cover crop was rye and I didn't have many obnoxious weeds in with it, I wouldn't spray it at all. I would just plant away and I have done this many times in the past when all I used for cover crops was heavy rye.

The other reason I don't want to run perpendicular to my rolled rye is that I often have another strip of cover crop adjacent to the plot I am planting as you see to the right in this photo. I have several acres of rye based cover crops still standing which I will be rolling and planting a new cover crop in very soon. These are mostly strips where I had planted brassicas last year and they are what the brassica plots look like the following year if you have included clovers in with the brassica seed and then broadcasted rye over the brassicas a month later. Anyway, I don't want to run over those strips until I am ready to plant the cover crop in there the following month.
IMG_2123.jpg

Last edited:
WT thanks very much for you full and clear explanation of your successful cultipacker process ..I really appreciate it ..

The reason I was wondering about cross passing was my roller is only a single roller and the individual packer wheel is about an inch shorter in size than yours rollers appear to be ..

Mine is set up with a tray on top for adding weight but I would be reluctant to put much additional weight on the old girl as she is long of tooth and the tongue n bracing is fairly light as in made up from a larger row crop machine of yesterday ..but the packers are heavy steel ..I guess try and learn on that point

And to confirm your "event" order starting with a field of mature clover and the rye seed head at "milk stage" ..you roll first, drill new crop then spray two weeks after drilling
Curios ..some I read prefer to drill first ... then roll ..then I suppose if no weeds and a crimper roller was used and no kill off of a non annual clover to terminate you are done ..

I do not see a real preference of roll or plant first unless it would have to do with the drill's capability ??

In my case ..I have some fields that follow meandering creek banks ..wondering woods lines etc ..my 1st plan would/was be to plant first ..planting off the fields into square sides skipping the undulations, pockets and creek in n outs ...running the drill in a straight line as much as possible ..not for looks but to keep side pressure off the drill ..then go back and fill the pockets skipped as much as a straight pull will allow

But the positive I can plainly see is the coulters and double openers moving the thatch away from the seed trench ever so little which gives the seed bed the press wheel set up sunlight ..

Then again the thatch moved away from the press wheel seed bed will be subjected to more moisture loss ....somebody has already told me I'm over thinking some of
this by the way ...

What are your thoughts ..and hey guys chime in this is not a private conversation!
😵Bear

IMO it’s just easier to get planted well into standing rye. The thing about rolling or crimping before drilling is you want to plant parallel with how the rye is layed down so the coulters and openers dont have to cut it all. Sometimes that’s not too challenging but that isn’t always the case with my atv cultipacker and pull type drill.

Spray for me is to make sure the rye seed isn’t viable and kill all the other stuff growing below it so the next crop isn’t outcompeted. I’m a bit worried my gly only this year isn’t going to do the job and im going to have some spots of clover and birdsfoot trefoil not letting my seed have it’s fall.