Green Cover Summer Release / Summer Pressure Release users

Brokenbear

5 year old buck +
So looking ahead to spring 2024 ..my first "planned" use of the above named mixes ..I have questions
How much/good is the thatch that these summer plots ultimately produce?
Do you "supplement" either mix with additional seed ?
Do you "setback" in some way your summer release as you plant your fall mix?
Thinking of inoculation how far ahead of use do you order or do you inoculate again anyway ?
Do you run it all through your main box ?
If so and you have a Great Plains/ Land Pride do you recall all your settings ?

I'm sure as the snow flies I will have more questions

Bear

I can only answer a couple of your questions:

From the Green Cover site: “Please note, Rhizo-Fixer Plus Inoculant remains viable on the seed for 60-90 days. If you are not planning to plant within a 90-day window, we recommend ordering Micro Noc Inoculant and applying on the seed when you plant.”

I would expect most inoculates to be similar?

I planted Green Cover warm season soil builder last summer, I didn’t use a drill but I have a Woods PSS84 seeder with two seed boxes. Ran all the seed through the large seed box. I was happy with that. I believe (but can’t prove it) I got good germination. There is a video on the gc site that explains that the large and small seeds have some synergy- the large seeds break the crust and the small seeds are allowed to germinate as a result. I know at least some of the guys on this site who mix their own seeds are using the small and large seed boxes and I’m sure they will answer.

I’m going the Green Cover route next summer. I intend to then do a fall release type seeding. As far as supplemental seeds- I might go 50/50 summer release and warm season soil builder for the summer mix. Warm Season soil builder has a lower seeding rate, and is cheaper, so I would adjust my seeding rate. I’m going to solicit some advice before I do that!

I started the Release process this summer and had intended to start a thread on my results this winter. I might as well jump in here. I ordered a pallet of seed from Green Cover which included Summer Release and Fall Release. Order was shipped on May 10. Summer Release seed was put in the ground on May 29th and I planted straight Summer Release at their recommended rate of 47lb per acre. Planted with a Great Plains 606NT drill. I will get you the drill settings I used after calibrating and they were spot on for 47lb an acre, they are at work on a thumb drive. Seed was all run through the main seed box and it works just fine with the different size seeds.
Seed came up great and produced a ton of biomass. The amount of plants and food in the plots was impressive. Deer were in it all summer, often bedding in it during the day. I had planted into the prior years corn stubble that was sprayed the day before planting on May 30th. I did have some ragweed, a bit of grass and a weed here or there that grew with the Summer Release but the plot was mostly the desired plants. We had a wet end of summer and I didn't get the Fall Release in until September 5th, which was 2 weeks later than I wanted. I didn't get too worked up over the innocculant and the Fall Release germinated fine almost 4 month later. The pictures are me drilling the Fall Release into the Summer Release. Fall Release came up great also, the last 2 pictures are the Fall Release on October 5th. As you can see, you couldn't ask for much more thatch cover. I was concerened about the grass in the plot and I did spray the day after I planted the Fall Release, I intend for that to be the last time I spray it from here on out.
We tried the Release process on 2 different properties. The other property has more deer pressure and the Summer Release didn't do as well. The deer kept the plots mowed down other than the sorghum in the plots. As a result we ended up with a lot more weeds and less thatch when we drilled in the Fall Release. We sprayed those plots as well due to the weeds and lack of thatch cover.

Last edited:
I have no idea why the pictures aren't showing up. Never had a problem before using IMGUR.

Not sure what happened as i saw one picture just a nano second and then it went away ..looked like possibly a New Holland Tractor pulling a Great Plains Drill and space of one pass representing what the drill knocked down of the summer release ..just saw it 0.01 second

Bear

That is it. Trying to fix things with my limited computer skills, lol!

I think you can see them now if you click on the picture? Not what I wanted it but hopefully it makes them accessible while I try to figure things out.

Last edited:
Looks very good to me ...I'm in!

Bear

How much poundage in a pallets n curious of rather costs. Too bad the pictures didn't show would like to see your progress diesel.

Sorry pictures just loaded. That's awesome bio mass.

Thanks for posting the pictures Bear. The other thing I experienced with this mix was absolutely incredible insect and bird usage. The whole plot was literally humming with life all summer. Bees, butterflies and other pollinators by the millions. There were praying mantis and tons of other bugs that I have no idea what they were. Tons of birds also, including hummingbirds darting everywhere. Honestly, in my 25 years of planting and doing plots I have never seen anything like it. A great buckwheat field full of bees is the only field that is similar and even those don't compare to what this field was with different wildlife.
I have zero doubt this is the way to go for better soil. If what is going on below the soil is similar to what is happening on top then it is exactly as advertised. So far the deer usage is below what we normally have in our corn and other food plots during fall, but we also have acorns this year which always results in fewer deer in the plots. So hard to tell what the real difference is. The deer loved the Summer Release and were always in it. We are going to continue the Release process on the plots we have started and will see what another 2-3 years tell us. I am thinking we might miss our corn plots but the roundup resistant marestail was out of control and we obviously needed to change the practices that caused it. I am thinking we will rotate corn into a plot every 3-4 years if we decide we just can't do without it.

The whole plot was literally humming with life all summer. Bees, butterflies and other pollinators by the millions.
This was part of the appeal to me too. I don‘t know why but I really enjoyed hearing the bees and everything going on in there on a quiet day.

Diesel ..we turned to no-til because of river erosion but also gly resistant weeds

Corn also became problematic for us because raccoons by the hundreds came like Locusts .. so I started experimenting with milo in place of corn and it works

I will have to dig out my seed bills for brand/variety but the deer acceptance of milo came finally for us via a medium short variety whose seed was more gold/grey/buckskin color versus the dark red which has a bitterness taste to it

Plus we know milo will respond better than corn planting no tilling it into existing thatch/vegetation as I do intend to never see bare dirt again!

Bear

Reactions: 356
Diesel I am excited to hear you will have all your drill settings available to us !

Another question if you are on the Green Cover Summer/Fall rotation ..
Do you terminate the fall plot ..Y/N Before/After planting your Summer Release ..if so what is your setback/termination method ? chem/disc/roller ?
Do you terminate the Summer plot ..Y/N Before/After planting your Fall Release ..if so what is your setback/termination method ? chem/disc/roller?

Bear

If anyone can provide the percentage breakdown of seed in summer release that would be awesome ty

Thank you so much diesel for uploading this. I can only imagine the insects n birds utilizing your summer release. That's just awesome thanks for sharing

Made possible thanks to the invention of the cell phone camera. I have started taking snapshots of all kinds of things while I am out working/playing. Not sure why I decided to take a snapshot of the label but glad it was useful to someone 😉.

Green Cover.jpg

This is the chart that Green Cover used to have on their site for planter settings. I am not sure why they removed it, other than some of the seed rates are a bit different. It is a good starting point when calibrating your dilll. For the Summer Release my drill settings for 47lb an acre were

Drive 2
Main Seed Box setting 34
Hydraulic stop setting 3"
Largest seed cup setting

For the Fall Release at 70lb an acre the settings were

Drive 2
Main Seed Box setting 57
Hydralic stop setting 3.75"
Largest seed cup setting