Corn plot - the way I do it

j-bird

I put a post together on another forum I frequent and figured I might as well clutter up some of the other forums I visit as well! So here goes. I'll be dipped! Cut and paste worked!

Well this past weekend you would have found me with my butt planted in the seat of my 790 JD tractor. I was planting corn. I am a little late this year as I normally do this on Memorial day weekend, but I had some other things to address first. I'm going to share how I do this.....this doesn't mean it's the only way.....or even the right way!

The process started a few weeks ago when I used a rotary mower to mow the growth that has come up since the spring. This plot was a failed corn plot and I had overseeded some rye and brassicas into. So when I went back this weekend this was what I started with. Various green things growing and some corn stubble.
corn-before-jpg.11384

I don't worry about spraying as I know the tillage I have to do will kill a majority of what is there.....and I'm lazy! I went to the local co-op and got my fertilizer. I planned on planting about 1.5 acres in corn and bought 200 lbs of Urea (46%N) and another 200 lbs of 15-15-15 to apply on my 1.5 acres. This isn't based on a soil test, just what I apply and have gotten good results with in the past. A FEL makes handling all that fertilizer a lot easier.
fertilizer-400-pounds-jpg.11385

All this goes into my conical spreader. But I only put in what I intend to spread on that plot.....I tend to not be able to keep track and apply more than I should. 2 bags of triple 15 and 2 bags of urea for this roughly 3/4 acre plot. A large capacity spreader like this is great for applying fertilizer, lime and hard seed over a wide area.....I am NOT spreading hundreds of pounds of fertilizer with a shovel or some sort of dinky spreader.
corn-spreader-jpg.11386

Now something you need to watch when adding your fertilizer is that it mixes. Last thing you want is what is shown on the left. This tends to lead to only one typ eor the other of the fertilizer coming out at a time which isn't good. The urea is the all white stuff if your not familiar with it......Oh and don't breather real heavy when your dumping urea, it burns! You want to get a good mix of your fertilizer even when you load it like on the right hand side.
corn-fertilizer-mix-jpg.11387

Next comes the broadcasting. I simply take my time and try to make 2 passes - trying to get it in just one tends to lead me to coming up short and missing a spot or two and that irritates me. I have all weekend - taking 2 passes to ensure you get everything as even as realistic is fine. For what it's worth the tractor is a 30hp and I don;t recall the capacity of the spreader - both are mine and I got just short of $100 wrapped up in my 400 lbs of fertilizer.

After the fertilizer is spread I head back to the house to swap implements. This is where it's good to have friends! I borrow a roto-tiller (because I can't justify owning one for 1 or 2 uses a year). This is a King cutter 60" I think. All I care about is that it's wider than my tires and it does a real nice job for me.
tiller-jpg.11388

I used to use a 2 bottom plow and disc and those will work fine.....but the tiller leaves a much better seed bed in one pass. Yes I creep along with the tiller, but it levels and incorporates organic matter better in my opinion. The only issues I have with a tiller is that they don;t like rocks and they don't like long tough materials.....I refuse to plant rye any more because I spend so much time pulling it out of the tiller and winter wheat will work just fine in my area. So tilling incorporates the organic material, also puts the fertilizer in the ground, kills the weeds and makes a great seed bed to plant in. As you can see it does create a lot of dust however.....the tractor and I both got a bath after the day was done.
tilled-jpg.11389

So with the tilling done only thing left to do was put seed in the ground. For corn I plant between roughly 30K seed count per acre on 30" row center. This means I can get about 2.5 acres per bag of seed. However - I'm a plotter and as such I like saving money. The seed I planted this year is left over from the year before which came out of a local farmers planter. The deal was that he was done planting but had not yet emptied out his seed boxes. I offered to do it for him (because it's a dirty job) if I could keep the seed. The farmer was going to throw the seed out any way so a deal was struck. So back to the house to swap implements again. This time for my 2 row planter. Now don't laugh! This little ford 309 planter gets the job done. It isn't new or fancy and the fertilizer box doesn't work and it's rusty, but it does put the seed in the ground. And for $50 - I am not complaining!

corn-planter-jpg.11390

So the plate planter "clicks" away.....and if you have ever used one you know what I'm talking about. I turn and watch during every pass to ensure seed is falling into the furrows and being covered - because seed can get stuck and jam the plates - which is very frustrating. I don't use row markers - I guess and guessing is close enough.
planted-corn-jpg.11391

It's been a long day and I'm done. I'm tired, I smell, and I'm covered in dust, maybe even a bit sun burnt. Time to head back to the house. Nothing to do now but pray for rain....which is forecast in the next few days. Once the corn germinates and gets 6" tall or so I will be back with my boom sprayer and apply some gly to kill off any weeds that survive and that should conclude everything I need to do. If I have a chance I may come back in late summer and toss in some winter wheat and brassica just for some diversity because as the corn dries down more sunlight will reach the ground and I can provide even more food that way. After that, it's a matter of finding the right tree to put a stand in and wait for the deer to come by looking for a late fall, high carb dinner, especially when it's cold.

Does winter wheat not grow as tall as rye?

Not in my area it doesn't. Winter wheat here right now is not even waist high.....I have rye growing in some places that is a good 5 feet tall. Winter wheat also seem to have less stem to it - if that makes sense. The leaves are not my issue - it's the seed head stems. I used rye because it greens up first and stays green longer, but once the seed head bolts it doesn't play will with the tiller. Also seems like the winter wheat doesn't "bolt" as soon or as high as the rye does either. Maybe it's just me - I don't know. All I know is that it's like trying to pull wire out of that tiller and at time I just attack it with my pocket knife. Maybe if I mowed it sooner or something that would help as well, but this is twice now since I have used rye that I have had this issue and wheat just doesn't seem to be as bad.

I've heard of tall rye getting all wrapped up in tillers, mowers, and discs. But I don't remember hearing anyone compare the height of wheat vs rye. I do know my rye grew close to if not 24" in a one week period back in May. Saw it on a Sunday and it was about knee high at best with no seed heads. Returned on the next Saturday and it was over the racks on my ATV and full of seed heads :eek:.

BTW, nice thread :). I like seeing photos of the different equipment we all use.

J-bird- great post. We did almost the same thing last Tuesday. Planted 3 acres of corn and fertilized with urea. We have got 2 inches of rain since then.

J-bird- great post. We did almost the same thing last Tuesday. Planted 3 acres of corn and fertilized with urea. We have got 2 inches of rain since then.
I checked our corn plot yesterday and the corn has popped up and is about 2-3inches. We have got almost 4 inches of rain in a week since planting.

Great lookin start jb!

I'll check this weekend and if I got anything to take a pic of I will post. I don't expect much if anything....I tell myself that, so I can be pleasantly surprised vs being disappointed!

Well - I got nosy and went and checked on my plot. There wasn't green seen from a distance but once I got up close I had a few just starting to pop and I also dug a little to see how the seed was coming alone.
young corn.jpg

Rye grows way taller than wheat from what I've seen.

Good looking corn plot. I swore off corn again. To darn expensive and it fails 2 out of 3 times I've tried. Besides the guy I lease from plants corn and I swear he has big holes rusted in the bottom of his combine. Looks like someone broadcast corn when he is done cutting it.

Bueller our rye is 4.5' tall now, typically I see winter wheat around 24".

I've heard of tall rye getting all wrapped up in tillers, mowers, and discs. But I don't remember hearing anyone compare the height of wheat vs rye. I do know my rye grew close to if not 24" in a one week period back in May. Saw it on a Sunday and it was about knee high at best with no seed heads. Returned on the next Saturday and it was over the racks on my ATV and full of seed heads :eek:.

BTW, nice thread :). I like seeing photos of the different equipment we all use.

Rye wrapping around the tiller is exactly our biggest issue with plotting. So far we haven't eliminated it, but have backed off the application rate that LC recommended. Last year applied 1/2 his rate. No where near the "cover", but all other aspects are good. Clover was protected and weeds kept in check.

We only do corn strips about 2 tiller widths. Doesn't amount to anything but a screen. This year will broadcast something into it.

I have good luck with corn most of the time. It can be a challenge however. By getting the seed for free it cuts a lot of my cost and I prefer corn because of the cover it creates later in the year. I have killed for more deer over my little 1/4 and 3/4 acre corn plots than anything else. I find ways to experiment with them from time to time, but corn is king in my area once it gets cold. I can;t count on the combine on my place - the one that is used is stingy....real stingy.

Ok - pic was taken friday 6/24. We have had nearly ideal growing conditions for corn the past week. Rain showers and HEAT! Hot, sticky HEAT! Corn is roughly 6 to 8 inches tall now and seems to be doing fine. A couple of weeks and I will apply the first, and hopefully only, application of gly to kill off any weeds.
young corn 2.jpg

Just an update....over the holiday weekend I checked on my larger corn plot. Corn is right at knee high but you can see the weeds are coming in as well. This coming weekend I will break out the boom sprayer and gly and fix that issue. I tend to let the weeds get to about this stage before I spray. My goal is to only have to spray once and I want as many weeds as germinated as possible but still in a young stage of growth. I also don't want the corn to get too tall before I spray as I don't want to risk busting the stalks off as the tractor passes over as part of the application process (I use a small CUT type tractor).
corn july 4th 2016.jpg

Spraying weekend!

OK - I'm going to post some pics but I won't go into as much detail.

Spraying equipment. 55 gallon 3 point type boom sprayer with PTO driven roller pump.
sprayer.jpg

I use a gallon of gly for 50 gallons of water (that's 2% mix ratio) and will travel at roughly 5 mph and 40 psi which will use the better part of a tank on roughly an acre of plot. I wpould normally use some AMS as well, but I was out and was too lazy to go get some. Surfactant was already in the gly mix.
corn july 10th.jpg

Like I said - weeds got a jump because I couldn't spray last weekend because the plot was wet. I simply use my tracks from the previous path to "eye-ball" where my next pass needs to be.

corn path.jpg

Update for 7/23. It's been roughly 2 weeks since I sprayed. So I thought I would give an update.

Corn on average is about 4 feet tall.
corn1.jpg
corn2.jpg

It isn't all roses! Some areas just have not grown so well - that's OK - I will overseed brassica and cereal grains into these areas later in the summer.
corn3.jpg

I also have a few places where I didn't overlap with the spray.....that's OK too. The "weeds" are often deer food and in this pic this is some volunteer brassica. Super clean plots are often a goal but it's more to suit the needs and wants of people.....not the deer.
corn4.jpg

Here is my larger of my two corn plots this year as well.
corn5.jpg

Great post. I've been thinking about getting a corn planter and giving it a try. Just not sure I have enough area to justify it

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Great post. I've been thinking about getting a corn planter and giving it a try. Just not sure I have enough area to justify it

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
To be honest the only reason I have a planter is because I got a real good deal on it. Most sell for a pretty penny. I know some folks that broadcast large seeds like corn and soybeans with success. I plot only about 2 acres is row crops like this but again there are more than one way to skin a cat.

I broadcasted corn for many years and had pretty good results, however I can tell you that once I got a corn planter my corn was much more consistent. Not absolutely necessary for food plotters but I certainly get more food in a given area as corn is sensitive to seed depth. I also now put down some starter fertilizer.

To be honest I also enjoy my annual operation of the corn planter. Another food plotting toy!

It is a nicety but not a necessity!