Corn plot - the way I do it

To be honest the only reason I have a planter is because I got a real good deal on it. Most sell for a pretty penny. I know some folks that broadcast large seeds like corn and soybeans with success. I plot only about 2 acres is row crops like this but again there are more than one way to skin a cat.
What would you say was the minimum size for a corn plot ? I can get in a little over an acre, low deer density

What would you say was the minimum size for a corn plot ? I can get in a little over an acre, low deer density
Your idea of low density and mine could be totally different - so PLEASE keep that in mind. I struggle to have 20 deer in a physical square mile! This year I have 2 corn plots on my place. One is only 1/4 acre in size, the other is roughly 3/4 acre. Now they will be wiped clean of corn come spring time, but I have never had an issue with deer eating the plant itself or destroying it before hunting season. I have 100's of acres of corn and beans around me to spread feeding pressure out AND I have only roughly 20% cover in my 2 square mile area so I have a real low deer population as well. I don't use fences or anything to keep the deer out either. This may not be your situation. I would strongly suggest broadcasting first and try to get some leftover corn seed from a neighboring farmer after is planting season is over. This is what I do as they tend to have some left in the planter boxes that they simply toss out any way. You will get dirty in the process, but its free seed! I just hate to see you invest in a piece of equipment that may or may not be needed or suit your needs. Maybe borrow a row planter if you can, or maybe even pay a farmer to plant your plot if he can get there when he is done with his fields.

Last edited:
Update from 8/6. We have been getting rain weekly and the corn is responding well. The good stuff is well over 6' tall and silking and tasseled. So as long as I have enough time left I should get some actual grain......Not all of it is that great, but I'm feeding deer so it isn't that big of a deal. I was also out today planting my fall plots for that additional insurance......I posted that project in my "land tour"