All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Franklin growing nice and clean

Native Hunter

5 year old buck +
Checked the Franklin Cider at the farm today and impressed with how clean it is growing. Bad year for CAR here, but Franklin not showing any issues. Goldrush looks like Hell warmed over. Had 5 apples on the Franklin.

DqyVgRyh.jpg

How long has it been in the ground

Mine have impressed me so far, can't wait to start getting some apples. They look nice Native.

Awesome report Native.
I'm putting in four this fall on M111, looking forward to seeing how they do in the orchards have been wanting to try some for a couple years.

So far so good here
Little scabby, but a good grower
Some insect pressure early but that stopped once we got a little heat.
1st Leaf, home orchard
View attachment 24776
View attachment 24777

Make sure you don’t get a double leader on that tree in the top picture.

Looks good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another good report on Franklin here. I was just at camp this weekend and our best of 2 Franklins is now at 7 ft. tall and has no problems. The other is at 5 ft. tall. Both are branching well too.

So far so good here
Little scabby, but a good grower
Some insect pressure early but that stopped once we got a little heat.
1st Leaf, home orchard
View attachment 24776
View attachment 24777
Scanned your pic not sure what you mean by "Luttle Scabby"? Tree looks good and do see a little insect damage. Franklin has been nursery tested and found scab immune, so what you found may be a chemical burn or heat stress. Otherwise, your tree looks great. I would tighten up the screening to prevent bore and vole damage as a precaution . Thanks for sharing.

Make sure you don’t get a double leader on that tree in the top picture.

Looks good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Been keeping a close eye on him.
Have not exaclty been blown away with any of the limb angles that have sprouted out of heading cut. So am giving him a little time and letting the limbs duke it out for a bit before I decide which one I wanna keep for the leader. Right/wrong not sure but am not in a hurry at this point.

Scanned your pic not sure what you mean by "Luttle Scabby"? Tree looks good and do see a little insect damage. Franklin has been nursery tested and found scab immune, so what you found may be a chemical burn or heat stress. Otherwise, your tree looks great. I would tighten up the screening to prevent bore and vole damage as a precaution . Thanks for sharing.

Dont get me wrong, the tree is turning into one of the better ones so far in the young life of the home orchard. Especially considering they recieve no fungicide/insecticide paired with how wet this spring has been.

Ashmeads K, an Cox Orange so far are turning out to be the slow/tuff growers in the bunch.

Last edited:
Dont get me wrong, the tree is turning into one of the better ones so far in the young life of the home orchard. Especially considering they recieve no fungicide/insecticide paired with how wet this spring has been.

Ashmeads K, an Cox Orange so far are turning out to be the slow/tuff growers in the bunch.
What zone are you in?

4a/b
Got to -38 real feel this winter.
27 inch annual rainfall
Usually with hot an dry summers
Not ideal condtions for Cox, if he dosnt make it I already have a replacement in mind.

Art, got home from work and went to work.
Figured I have ten trees to play with, decided experimenting a bit on one couldn't hurt to much. And im always looking to learn something so figured what the heck.

Gave the franklin a trim, took off 2 other competing limbs, an tied him up to take a bend out of the trunk that had been forming because of the constant winds we have been experiencing lately. Usually wait for the dormant season to prune, we shall see.

20190624_185234.jpg

Good luck. My ashmend died winter one back to the root stock. Cox made it through first winter with no issues and I had high hopes for it. Last year in a milder winter, one or two -30’s it died back to the snow line. It is pushing good growth this year and should make it back to where it was at the end of last summer.

4a/b
Got to -38 real feel this winter.
27 inch annual rainfall
Usually with hot an dry summers
Not ideal condtions for Cox, if he dosnt make it I already have a replacement in mind.

Art, got home from work and went to work.
Figured I have ten trees to play with, decided experimenting a bit on one couldn't hurt to much. And im always looking to learn something so figured what the heck.

Gave the franklin a trim, took off 2 other competing limbs, an tied him up to take a bend out of the trunk that had been forming because of the constant winds we have been experiencing lately. Usually wait for the dormant season to prune, we shall see.

I am the same way on pruning usually waiting until late February early March to work on the trees, now walking around the orchard I see some low branches and a couple split trunks I wish I had cut months ago. I hate seeing energy wasted in the young trees that could be making growth in the good branches right now but don't want to set the tree's back at all or expose new cuts to bugs or disease. I just need to slow down and step back on every tree when I think I'm done pruning and really give each one a good look before I walk away next spring.

There is a development I would like to share that will help to serve the Wildlife habitat community and Cider industry. The marketing format at Stark Bros has moved away from commercial sales to a retail division only. Franklin Cider trees will be sold as potted plants only. Due to this changeIMG_0671.JPG Stark Bros will no longer have an "Exclusive" but is graciously assisting in providing scion wood to commercial nurseries granted Licsensing along with what I can provide. The following nurseries have requested to propagate and market the Franklin. Adams County Nursery, Wafler Nursery, Van Well Nursery, and Cummins Nursery. Licsense ageeement have or will be signed this week and chip budding will start in a couple of weeks. Trees will become widely available starting in spring of 2021.

Thanks for the "heads up".

Appleman - Thanks for the great news. I predict many will be sold. I'm gonna start looking for other new spots at camp for more Franklins to go with the 2 we already have. I hope some will be budded onto Antonovka and P-18 so we can have full -sized, long-lived trees.

Hoo-ray!! That is welcome news Appleman.

Stark Bros. is a fine nursery, but for my purposes, Cummins gives me more options and easier ordering. Like Native, Diesel, Trampled, and Bows, mine is doing great and I now plan to add more. I hope this is a good thing for you - I know it is welcome news for us little guys.

IMG_3596.JPGSprayed my 100 tree wildlife orchard and found the Franklin to out pace my other varieties in growth and now producing apples 3rd leaf. My expectations are it will be my number one tree for attracting deer. Here is a picture of one of my 3D leaf trees fruiting.