All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Franklin growing nice and clean

I agree with CC. I see your 18.5 Brix - I raise and call with 20Brix. Any guesses on the variety?
Zumi-sugar.JPG

What is the standard method to measure Brix?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A hydrometer (shown). I would take that reading to be 1084. Use a conversion to Brix calculator (brewersfriend.com) gets you to Brix. Sugar is and can be measured using either the numerical (1084) or the Brix chart which I think is an older method but very common.

A hydrometer (shown). I would take that reading to be 1084. Use a conversion to Brix calculator (brewersfriend.com) gets you to Brix. Sugar is and can be measured using either the numerical (1084) or the Brix chart which I think is an older method but very common.

Has anyone run it on early ripe versus watercore of a specific apple variety?

too much sugar, let the yeast feast begin.........

I can tell you this - timing matters. I just scratted and pressed some Dabinette on 12oct19. It measured at 1054 sugar. Last year my notes say a scrat-&press on 25oct18 same tree and the sugar was at 1060...quite a few points higher. Now years matter, weather matters...but I think timing is the key and "super-ripe" is the right time. But, if they are falling on the ground it's Go-Time for me.

I can tell you this - timing matters. I just scratted and pressed some Dabinette on 12oct19. It measured at 1054 sugar. Last year my notes say a scrat-&press on 25oct18 same tree and the sugar was at 1060...quite a few points higher. Now years matter, weather matters...but I think timing is the key and "super-ripe" is the right time. But, if they are falling on the ground it's Go-Time for me.

I just read a link where stressed apples with disease have higher amounts of sugar and higher amounts of antioxidants.

I guess the wormy ones have added protein??

Gross! So far I’ve put the effort in for a craft/artisanal cider. The best, most sound, ripest, cleanest -but they are at least getting hosed down. At least I know what I’m drinking.