Native and Non-Native Oaks

What’d they charge for the bagged trees? Id like a few like that but they seem pretty rare, at least locally, in the hybrids I desire.

yeah that's exactly why I drove almost an hour because you just don't find these. They were roughly $40 a piece, and at that height I felt that was a pretty damn good price.

It would be a cool experiment to plant seedlings of similar species next to the bagged trees and document growth over the years.

I would postulate the seedlings would surpass them in growth in under 10 years.

Interesting and I'd wonder too. Sure you're going to lose some growth as its transplanted, but I guess I'm not sure I could see the seedlings catching up? Any science to support this?

Interesting and I'd wonder too. Sure you're going to lose some growth as its transplanted, but I guess I'm not sure I could see the seedlings catching up? Any science to support this?
No , but it’s what I believe .

I have some potted pin oaks…..they are pathetic.

Hopefully you will have a better experience.

An update to planting my oaks

We have a lot of White, Red and Pin oaks native in our woods, I've been direct seeding Chinkapin and English oak acorns (and chestnuts) along edge of woods and in the shrub strips last couple of years.

Planted a bunch of 8" pin oak seedlings in shrub strips with no protection almost ten years ago. It took them a few years to get the chance to take off and get ahead with all the browsing and bucks rubbing but many are 6"-9' now and just started making acorns.
Have also been planting as many northern pecans as I can…I think those are a real sleeper in most habitat circles and will be a good wildlife draw for the grandkids someday.

Deer will absolutely hoover up those pecans once they hit the ground. Some of the really small native pecans are suitable for waterfowl consumption... I'm thinking Forrest Keeling was, at one time, marketing grafted specimens of 'Tiny Tim' or 'Peanut', which are tiny-nutted northern pecans, for planting at waters' edge for ducks.