Cider Trees and Applesauce info

Never got back to it, did I.

Wickson. Have seen the occasional cracking comment with several of the Etter apple series. That skillcult guy on YouTube has mentioned it too.

But regardless of all the susceptible diseases, remains an apple that makes many lists for what it does offer

I wanted some varieties, but shyed away cedar apple rust issues. Difficult to bear annually. Wanted a eusopus spitzenburg because it originated 20 minutes from my home, and I fish that area often i nthe spring too.

Fancy varieties Dabinette, hewes crab, roxbury russet, gin pears, keifeer and bartlet pears and one more 39th parallel recommended. I do have some redfield scions. Far as juicing apples liberty, empire, golden delciious, granny smith, and enterprise. Think between all that I can make some cough medicine there........ If in a few years I'm not interested in making hard cider, most varieties drop around hunting season anyways.

These are trees at home ,so dont mind some spraying here n there.

My wife and I make lots of apple sauce and we freeze it in zip lock bags. We tried to can someone and it got moldy on us.

We prefer crab apples. Kerr, dolgo, chestnut, and Trailman are favorites for applesauce.

For sweet cider, I like 1/2 chestnut crabs with any other apples that are ripe.

When you canned them, did you boil the jars 1st?

When you canned them, did you boil the jars 1st?
My wife doesn’t think so but only when canning. They were not pressure canned.

Think you should give it another try. Dip the jars in boiling water, pack the applecause while still hot, and boil for what I believe is 15 minutes.

The major line in the sand between needed to use a pressure cooker vs regular boiling is the acid content for whats in there.

Reading up on etter's apples. Wickson is catching my eye again. 39th parallel didn't have any scion for it. Bluehill considers it a good deer tree too.

From what i have read, Hewes hybrids have been developed to improve winter hardiness. Below is a list i found that shows the 4 classic cider apple trees

==============================
GREAT 4 COMBO
Keep in mind that good ciders are a blend of sugar, acid, tannin and an aromatic," he writes. "Few have the magic combination of elements, except Harrison, Hewes Crab, Roxbury Russet and Golden Russet. Usually, varieties are blended to achieve it, and this is the excitement and the mystery of artisanal ciders. The same blending of elements should be applied to pie making."

HARRISON (Bittersweet)
Also known as: Harrison Cider, Long Stem, and Harrisons Newark. Parentage/Origin: Essex County, New Jersey, early 19th century. Harvest: October. Description: Medium in size and round to oblong in shape, the yellow skin has black dots, and the yellow flesh is coarse and dry. Once lost to cultivation, Tom Burford found a 75 year old Harrison tree in 1989 and returned this valuable cider apple to the trade. Harrison juice is viscous and dark with complex flavors and exceptional mouth feel. The apple is scab and rot-resistant, bears annual, full crops, and keeps well in storage. It remains one of the very finest apples for cider-making, either fresh or fermented.

Harrison is also known as Harrison Cider, Long Stem, and Harrisons Newark. It first appeared in Essex County, New Jersey during the early 18th century, and was grown extensively for cider until the early 20th century. Throughout the 1800's, Harrison was a leading variety in cider production, valued for its ability to produce many small apples that made a champagne-like cider. By the 1900's, the rise of beer and prohibition largely exterminated Harrison production. This heirloom variety was thought to be lost until 1976, when it was discovered by Paul Guidez. More recently, Tom Burford has brought the Harrison back into cultivation. It is now grown by cider makers throughout North America.
The apple itself is small, round and yellow skinned, with small black dots. Harrison tastes dry and coarse, but yields a large percentage of juice when pressed. Harrison juice is viscous, syrupy, and dark, with complex flavors and exceptional mouth feel.
The Harrison tree is is a heavy annual bearer, with a single tree producing large quantities of small apples. Apples ripen in October in upstate New York, are scab and rot-resistant, and keep well in storage. It remains one of the very finest apples for cider-making, either fresh or fermented.
USDA Zones: 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Heirloom: Yes

Uses: Fresh eating and cider

Harvest Period: Late

Bloom Period: Midseason

Pollination Requirement: Requires different variety with same bloom period

Origin Date: New Jersey 1817

Disease resistance: Good

Storage: 1 to 2 months

Rootstock: MM 111 (semi-dwarf)

Years to Bear: 2-4 years

Recommended Spacing: 12-16 ft.

Mature Size: 12-16 ft.

Water Requirements: 12-15 gallons per week May through Sept.
Meanwhile, like you I am trying to stretch the limits on Harrison a bit and have planted in zone 4. My tree had a whopping 1 apple this year so jury is still multiple yrs out. Guess we think the same though, planted higher on my hill southern facing exposure
A follow up on the Harrison cider. Maybe a doz apples this yr. So still hanging in there for zone 4b. Planted on b118 on a hillside with not so great soil and as such slow grower. But these are apple sized fruit as compared to a Franklin Cider nearby.
DSC02476 Harrison Cider Med.jpg

I am looking forward to getting into the cider game down the road...and applejack....along with apple sauce. One of the reasons I got into the redflesh game, pink applejack and apple sauce would be awesome.

Hard cider is the easiest thing to brew at home. It's just juice and yeast. The most important thing when brewing is hygiene. The equipment is relatively cheap.

I love that ^^^^^^
You are the one that got me all frothed up over the redflesh world....a dozen varieties later I'm just waiting for enough fruit!

That Kerr has a nice color to it. Behind the 8 ball in that department tho. Put several in the ground but only in the last couple yrs.

In regards to comments earlier this year in regards to Wickson. Bought a few bottles of single varietal Wickson cider from Albemarle Cider Works this summer. Tasty. Their 1817 blend and Royal Pippin are also pretty good. Had a great chat for over an hour with one of the owners responsible for all their apple and cider selections and his assistant until they had to go back to work. Great folk and a lot of passion for their hobby....errr work!

I have planted several Kerr in the last couple years didn’t even know it had a red splash to the flesh nice.

I love that ^^^^^^
You are the one that got me all frothed up over the redflesh world....a dozen varieties later I'm just waiting for enough fruit!
Sandbur is the one who got me turned onto crab apples as a super food source for deer & other critters. Crabs are less fussy. I owe several crab varieties at camp to Sandbur. Thanks Bur!!

Sandbur is the one who got me turned onto crab apples as a super food source for deer & other critters. Crabs are less fussy. I owe several crab varieties at camp to Sandbur. Thanks Bur!!
You are welcome.

I don’t know about a super food source, but I enjoy watching deer eat crabs from our patio window for 5-7 months of the year.

You are welcome.

I don’t know about a super food source, but I enjoy watching deer eat crabs from our patio window for 5-7 months of the year.
Our crabs have proven to be pretty hassle-free as to care / babying, and they've provided deer chow for the fall & winter seasons. AND they make good pollination partners for our "regular " apple trees. I can't ask for much more - so all good here with crabs!! We have more from Blue Hill this year.

I got your typical fall apples and cider crabapple additions.

What I am seeking is a late July early August crabapple to companion pristine. Got trailman, ordered a chestnut, and order cranberry from turkey creek. Anything turkey creek would be a plus. I have Bartlett and Kieffer to add in. Bartlett should be good by then.

I got your typical fall apples and cider crabapple additions.

What I am seeking is a late July early August crabapple to companion pristine. Got trailman, ordered a chestnut, and order cranberry from turkey creek. Anything turkey creek would be a plus. I have Bartlett and Kieffer to add in. Bartlett should be good by then.
Norland is slightly bigger than a crab, but ripens at that time in my climate. It is probably different in your climate.

I'll look at norland. I have Chestnut and cranberry on order. I have a young Kerr too. Might be ok already. Would like almata, but bloom group 1 can be a handful with frosts.

Debating my granny Smith from last years willis order. Cummins says November 10th for ripe date. Coldest climate is 6. Might not become fully ripe in NY zone 5b 1 mile from the hudson river. May graft something else.

Removing my 30-06, big dog, and maybe droptine from my backyard orchard, putting in only trees I can eat too. Probably put them at the farmland I hunt on a swampy edge. Might