Tree buyer's Anonymous

bigboreblr

5 year old buck +
Trying not to buy any more trees. Really trying...........

Got 2 libertys, 2 enterprise, redfield, mcintosh, freedom, droptine, crossbow, signal fire, arkansas black, trailman, pristine, franklin cider, granny smith, golden delicious, (3) 30-06, Keiffer, Bartlet, and gin pear, and 2 saturn peaches.

Got blue permain, some libety and enterprise, harrison, and a few kerr in the nursery that need a home. Kerr's on anty and others on M111. Had a chestnut and hewe's that died. Giving a few away to coworkers. And I am moving (2) 30-06 on B118 to farmland I'm allowed to hunt. All or all but one kerr going up to camp up North. Got about 25 bareroots growing a bit bigger or didn't take scions. Anty, M111, dolgo, domestic apple, and domestic crabapple. Think most were willis orchards.

Got about 2 or 3 empty holes I can take care of at home. Thinking a cider blender, another late season apple, and maybe an all winter hanger maybe.

Could go off the reservation........ The oldest's friend's family owns a small apple orchard and converted the barn to a bar. Been doing well for about 3 years. They need more cider apples. Harrison, yates, and roxbury russet. They're looking for organic apples too. Could easily put 6 rows of 50 in. on the back 8. Kinda want to stay married for awhile longer though......

I feel your pain brother I can’t help but order trees also.

I told mine to get over it or pack her shit...i really DONT miss her. Ordered enough chestnuts trees this week to pretty well finish out the home orchard and ordered a lot of chestnut seed, probably will have to share.

Last edited:
I tried to not plant anymore trees last spring but I had seedlings to transplant from the garden and then a friend gave me some dandy crabs.

For next spring, I hope to just tack some scions on some franken trees and hope I am around to taste some of the varieties. At 69, it is time to stop planting.

I would like a pamphlet please. I'm down to BUYING maybe 10 high quality fruit trees a year, but now I'm getting FREE trees with tubes/stakes, via the county conservation department.

I'm not sure how everyone is planting, but I've found that potted seedlings survive much better than bare root. I picked up a used Echo auger two years ago, with some PowerPlanter bits. It makes the process much easier than a shovel, planting bar, etc. If your soil is heavy/rocky, skip the cheap Amazon auger bits. They'll break.

I never got into it. except this time....my fouth go round

Yeah, I know the feeling. I was only going to plant "x" amount of fruit trees. I think I am up to 35 with 4/5 to plant this fall and I have 4 coming in spring. Assuming I don't buy any root stock either!

Lol. I'm your age. Wanna bet?
I am also about out of room. I did not roundup any locations for next spring’s planting.

I tried to not plant anymore trees last spring but I had seedlings to transplant from the garden and then a friend gave me some dandy crabs.

For next spring, I hope to just tack some scions on some franken trees and hope I am around to taste some of the varieties. At 69, it is time to stop planting.
I'm guessing they will need to pry the shovel out of my hands to get the casket lid closed someday. I'm hoping to buy another piece of ground in the future so I have another playground. I dont have too many more ambitions plans for the current woods.

As of right now I enjoy watching my trees grow more than I care about the deer hunting. Seeing the young trees finally take off is all the reward I need. I have plans to plant fewer next spring, but then do a few in the fall towards the end of Sept. I'm 43 and have lotta work I wanna get done yet. My trees keep me in shape for sure.

Got 23 years of catching up to do........ Got a few treestands to put up, 2 guns to get sighted in, and a propane heater to put in my overnighter trailer. However, playing with cages, mulching, and drainage trenches instead........

Needed some malus methidone........ ORder a meager 4 tress from turey creek. A 2nd pristine, hewes,cranberry, and wfie wanted an empire. Wish they had macoun. Wife and her mother wants that. Might be hunting for a macoun scion with this years scion ehange thread. Fought the temptation to get a 2nd trailman. Got a trailman on a scion, but it didn't take off too well, but the graft is still alive. Maybe 4 or 5 leaves and kept kicking a sucker every month from an antonovka.

Heck if I was 43 I would be sitting pretty but at that age I only had planted about 2000 trees,4000 shrubs and just a few walmart fruit trees.I planted and new 30 tree orchard last year.This year I will just move seedlings with tree spade. I like the one about prying the shovel out of my hands to shut the casket lid.Maybe we need to start a thread of habitat sayings.Some of our survivors might need something to say over our grave someday.

IMG_7619.jpeg
In addition to trees, I think I may have an apple problem. A friend had a ridiculous crop this year and asked if I wanted some. Well I’m up to 5-6 totes at this point. My wife keeps saying “what the hell are you going to do with all those?” The dehydrator is running constantly. A friend is going to let me borrow a press. I’ll find a place for all those apples. 😁

uh huh

bill

Forgive me wallet for I have sinned,

Gave https://www.mehrabyannursery.com/ a try. I cancelled an order from them last year. due to my bad arm. Got 10 antonovka and 5 M111 rootstock, they got B118 too. Ordered a eneterprise and galarina in M111, they had sundance left in B9 or M7, so I went with M7. Pcked up a saturn peach for the wife too. They had several varieties that looked good, pristine, winecrisp, blue pearmain, black arkansas, liberty too. We will see how they are. Seems they have M111,B118,B9,M7, and some on antonovka too.

I got a few trees from them hard to find verities that I wanted but they were on dwarfing root stocks. Trees where of ok condition no real complaints.

10% off 30 or more trees, maybe I'll buy a row of liberty, a row of enterprise, and a row of winecrisp.

Forgive me wallet for I have sinned,

Gave https://www.mehrabyannursery.com/ a try. I cancelled an order from them last year. due to my bad arm. Got 10 antonovka and 5 M111 rootstock, they got B118 too. Ordered a eneterprise and galarina in M111, they had sundance left in B9 or M7, so I went with M7. Pcked up a saturn peach for the wife too. They had several varieties that looked good, pristine, winecrisp, blue pearmain, black arkansas, liberty too. We will see how they are. Seems they have M111,B118,B9,M7, and some on antonovka too.

......always room for one more tree

bill

I don't have any trees on order... yet. Please don't take it personally Turkey!

I really wanted to stick to only persimmons this year, but couldn't resist so picked up a Kerr, Hewes and Chestnut from Turkey. They are planted in different areas so will be a pain to keep watered, and I went way over on my planting limit. Time to build more cages!