2 Favorite Trees for Every Month

bigboreblr

5 year old buck +
Going to do a twist on the favorite 3. Since many of us have more than a handful of trees around.

My home in zone 5, all trees are young but went with good tasting multi-purpose disease free trees

August- Redfree and Pristine.
September- Chestnut and Trailman.
October- Liberty and Empire. Wife loves empire apples, is somewhat disease free though.
November- Enterprise and Frankling Cider
December- Galarina and AWHO. AWHO is planted close to my in-laws house, so they can see more birds.

At Zone 3b, maybe 4a now in sady soil at camp.

September- Trailman and Dolgo. Trailman is mostly for a colorful apple folks can see in the parking lot. Dolgo is low commitment seedling. I have the risk of trees being cut by loggers.
October- Kerr and Crossbow. Crossbow is very disease free. Some reason ants and japanese beetles leave my tree at home alone.
November- Droptine. Seems to grow a bit faster than 30-06.
December- Usually the deer have left camp for less snow by the lake. Got a good snowshe hare and grouse population. going with AWHO and Signal fire. Should keep them fed and might help a club mmber without a dog score some small game. Signal fire, I'm hoping to see grey squirrels at camp, only reds. Got those mean ermine snow weasels, might be the lack of grey squirrels. The tree is a favorite of squirrels in the winter I am told.

My trees are still pretty young so my contributions to this are limited. Zone 4B now 5a. Heavy clay soils.

October - Liberty
November - tough to beat Droptine and Enterprise. Both are producing a decent amount in year 4. Could also add Arkansas Black here.
December - my focus going forward. Buckman and Big Dog.

I forgot to mention the farmland I hunt. One parcel is bow season and muzzleloader. The other is rifle season use. So far got big dog and blue permain there. Thought big dog was a more october/ november tree.

Zone 4B

August - Centennial Crab and Zestar (Zestar is 99% for human consumption, way too delicious to share with wildlife)
September - Chestnut Crab and Liberty (Liberty is turning out to be a family favorite for eating as well)
October - Bonkers and Wickson Crab
November - Enterprise and Goldrush

I only have about a dozen different varieties producing meaningful crops so far but have over 75 varieties planted. I fully expect this will change a lot over the next few years...but as of right now it sits like this:

August-Pristine and Trailman
September- Chestnut Crab and Morse Nova Scotia
October- WC 10 Point and Liberty
November-WC Droptine and WC 30-06
December-Same as november

Zone 6A

We have too many varieties to narrow to just 2/month - but I'll agree with some of the guys above on some good ones.
August - Centennial & Trailman crabs
September - Chestnut crab and Morse Nova Scotia crab (NS crab is a surprisingly good tree with a good natural shape)
October - Liberty, AWHO crab, WW crab
November - Enterprise & Goldrush

We have some newer varieties from Blue Hill - too young to produce or evaluate.

What is AWHO?

What is AWHO?
All Winter Hangover. Saint Lawrence nuruseries used to sell them on antonovka rootstock. WW is winter wildlife. Both are smaller crabapples that fall into winter. Not well suited for eating, but probably could make cider or jelly from them. My AWHO is young. Went for this one to help out turkey and grouse through the winter. AWHO is biennial, which means a good crop every other year and a light one the next. Winter wildlife produces annually. Their a good couple to be next to each other. WC is whitetail crabs in PA.

The trailman tree is still available at turkey creek in kansas Although liberty and enterprise might be hard to find, they have freedom. Kind of a blend between liberty and enterprise far as drop times. Good tree right before rut. I have a young one of all of those 3.

July would be Norland as that is the only apple I have had ripe in July

Trailman and Centennial for August

Chestnut for September

I need to check my records, but Kinderkrisp is a favorite for eating and St Edmund’s Russet was our favorite late season apple this year.

Kerr is a good choice, probably October.

Unless I missed it, no one had June. I have two:

Striped June (Margaret) ripens mid June, and Bevan's Favorite starts ripening late June. Bevans is the superior eating apple of the two. Both are fine for cooking.

^^^ I need to put a couple of each of those in.
Have looked on the net a couple places in the past they are kind of hard to find.