Apple Scab

bigboreblr

5 year old buck +
Anybody fight apple scab on their trees? I notced mcintosh, macoun, arkansas black, and golden delicious are apple scab suspectible. I am getting rid of a few young trees to put more desirable trees in their place in my backyard orchard. Mcintosh might be domestic apple rootstock, macoun looks alot like B118, Golden Delicious is known to be on M111, and black arkansas looks like M111 too.

I am spraying these trees monthly for bugs. The area is mowed, which helps for scab. Not a concern yet, but I think for this disease removing dropped uneaten apples is important too. Thinking there might be too many apples for the current herd to eat once trees mature.

I don’t want to spray so I don’t do anything. For what I’ve planted, I’ve selected many scab resistant varieties, especially PRI Co-op varieties. But not all are scab resistant and I’ll decide over time if I want to topwork graft those to something else. We have mature trees older than me that produce despite tons of scab. Fine for wildlife and applesauce or cider but not pleasant for an eating apple.

I don’t want to spray so I don’t do anything. For what I’ve planted, I’ve selected many scab resistant varieties, especially PRI Co-op varieties. But not all are scab resistant and I’ll decide over time if I want to topwork graft those to something else. We have mature trees older than me that produce despite tons of scab. Fine for wildlife and applesauce or cider but not pleasant for an eating apple.
My grandpa had a solution for unpleasant looking apples. He always had a jack knife in his pocket. He used it to peel the apple as he ate it. Fact is, if you gave him a perfect apple he would peel it. because in his day, there were only scabby apples.

Getting wiser as I learn more.... Got lucky off the bat with whitetail crabs purchase. (2) liberty and (1) enterprise. Coudln't help myself, a local place had a monster sized freedom nobody wanted and waited till it was on sale. Got a pristine, and a 2nd one on order, and looking to add sundance too, maybe galarina and winecrisp.

I spray mine a couple times a year with my own liquid foliar fertilizer. Since I began adding some cobalt from Advancing Eco Agriculture, scab has been completely eliminated.

The majority of our camp apple trees are DR varieties - because we don't want to baby them, and most guys don't want to be bothered spraying. Many (not all) are PRI-bred varieties. We have several trees of each of these - Liberty, Enterprise, Goldrush, Priscilla, Sundance, Galarina, Winecrisp, and Crimson Topaz. Like you, we have OLD, unknown-variety trees that produce lots of apples despite scab. Deer don't care.