Finally a landowner again

armadillophil

5 year old buck +
I sold my place a little over 3 years ago and really haven't hunted in 3 years except for a NM elk hunt last year. Decided this fall I wasn't getting any younger and started looking really hard. Even drove 6 hours to Kansas to look at couple places(not sure what I was thinking). Place came up in southern Oklahoma in October. I was second guy to see it and knew it was the one as soon as I stepped foot on it. Beautiful place with mountains in distance, large neighbors and big deer, hogs and best of all wild elk!

Here are some more pics

Attachments

• 646B5074-0188-4BEB-BC30-AEA726F1E997.jpeg
    646B5074-0188-4BEB-BC30-AEA726F1E997.jpeg
    435.8 KB · Views: 122
  • 19475119-4182-4C77-BEAA-5737BF86B082.png
    19475119-4182-4C77-BEAA-5737BF86B082.png
    4 MB · Views: 124
  • 87AB4015-B2DC-4AEF-9B93-1A496A11073F.jpeg
    87AB4015-B2DC-4AEF-9B93-1A496A11073F.jpeg
    445.8 KB · Views: 117
Going out on this week to bring out firepit and clean up cabin. Also going to get a soil sample of the 7 acre plot. Hope to overseed with clover in next couple weeks and plant a alamo switchgrass screen.

Looks awesome. Best wishes to you.

Nice looking place, Congrats!

Wow, great looking place! Make sure to post lots of pics.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Very nice,I had a bull go through my place in SC Kansas a few years back.He's lucky he wasn't hanging around when I found out as elk season was open.Where in NM did you hunt last year?We hunted 6A

Very nice,I had a bull go through my place in SC Kansas a few years back.He's lucky he wasn't hanging around when I found out as elk season was open.Where in NM did you hunt last year?We hunted 6A
I drew unit 34. Killed a nice 6x6. They only allow 5 tags where my land is. No draw just first 5 killed then seasons over.

Very nice! Could do with out pigs but the elk are sweet!

But they do say everything is better with bacon...

I drew unit 34. Killed a nice 6x6. They only allow 5 tags where my land is. No draw just first 5 killed then seasons over.

34 is a great unit, had a few friends from Hawaii hunt out there last fall with SJR.

That's an interesting season strategy in OK, it must be a serious race to fill those five tags.

Awesome place!

Looks great. Congrats

Looks great!!

Tell us about the new place - how many acres, how much woods versus fields/plots, etc. Having elk around would be really cool if you could get a tag, but it would get annoying if they destroy your plots and you can't shoot them.

I also think having hogs would be a heck of a bonus. A couple friends and I made the drive from MN to Texas a few years back to hunt hogs and it was awesome.

That's a cool looking property, congrats.

Elk would be interesting.... I'll pass on the hogs. I think any real numbers and things could get very destructive. I'll go hunt them somewhere else if I want a hog. Do deer have similar feeding and dietary needs as deer? I was not aware they had wild elk in KS and OK.....deer the size of elk....yes...but not actual elk!

So cool!!! Congrats to you! I imagine an elk could do a number on food plots! lol

If I had elk, deer, and hogs on my property, I would probably build an chicken coop and then never buy meat again, except for the occasional USDA prime ribeye.

Property is 85 acres with a 6-7 acres food plot, 2 ponds, rest mostly woods. It has a big ridge running east to west with 3-4 draws that come down to plot. The elk inhabit area that consist 12 landowners(neighbor is 12k acres) State of Oklahoma issues 5 tag for this herd. You check in everyday to see if any tags left. Usually filled 5-7 days per game warden. My plot is covered in elk tracks. Haven't laid eyes on them yet. Herd is 50 plus from what I've been told. Hogs are given here and I will start slaying them this weekend. Big deer too.

Congrats! Too own your own land with elk on it is better than winning the lottery! Kill those nasty hogs.

I killed a nice 5x6 on public.Yes Kansas actually has a elk season in I believe all but 1 county and landowners can buy a tag online during season