20 years trying to get a tag…..and it happened!!!!

I’m sorry, but typing with 3 finger sucks at best.

Yes.Talley mount on my abolt. Need to get it running before WI rifle season again. The mount was just fine and took abuse for years and years…..right until it didn’t. Might get another one and might not…..I’m calling Talley to see what they say, first.

Day 2 morning we went right back at W330 but about 1/2 mile further South on the same huge sage flats complex. We climbed up to the first one, crossed it, and climbed through a timber saddle and into the higher flat to be where we thought they went after being bumped the previous night. We guessed wrong and they came out through the saddle below us, too late for a stalk. We walked the llloooonnnnnggggg way out to avoid spooking them below us. 2.5 mile detour.

Day 2 evening we once again went at w330 in the saddle and he was once again playing by the script. About 7:30 his cows and a couple small bulls started popping out below us (200 yards) just as the wind started to blow like crazy. It was swirling every direction as W330 stayed just inside the tree line. His cows definitely caught our scent hard this time…..they might have also heard us as we tried to reposition……but this time they blew up and took W330 out of my life for the next 24 hours.

This was the beginning of a pretty big wind storm that lasted the following morning and afternoon hunts …..blowing 25mph constant with 40+ gusts day and night.

The morning of day 3 we were at a glassing knob looking for a bull to hunt in the wind…..but still keeping an eye out for W330. No sooner did it get daylight and we saw both W330 and now H310. H310 was on the opposite side of the canyon we were on, but way lower, so we loaded up and bailed off at him. Straight down from 11,400……steep as hell!

H310 had 22 cows and no satellite bulls the last time we saw him before bombing off. We got closer and closer to where we we saw him earlier without hearing him once but he started to bugle at the perfect time. It allowed us to get within 100 yards uphill with good visibility and him completely unaware. All he had to do was move 10 yards toward us to give me a great shot on the edge of some quakies. We waited there for about 2 minutes when a giant gust came directly down the mountain behind us and blew right at him. We heard him and his harem exit stage right so we tried to run over the top to catch them coming up the other side……but they were gone. I thought my lungs were going to turn inside out!

The 3rd night we went back to our best scouting knob in a 40mph wind and glassed until dark in a white out sleet storm. We saw distant elk and smaller bulls right at dark, but it was by far the slowest hunt. We got cold / wet and heard one bugle the whole night.

With 2 days left of my hunt, this is when I started to get a little worried. The following morning was my 4th and we didn’t really have a plan A. We needed to find one of “my” bulls.

Couldn’t tell a better story myself. Love it.

IMG_6615.gif

Dude. Forget this sleep thing, I need the story!!!

Keep it coming man! Sounds like perseverance was definitely involved!

The 4th morning was beautiful. No wind, below freezing, we figured it was a perfect morning to check a canyon my guide has killed many big bulls in over the years. We both thought that with the wind sitting down and cold weather, every elk on the mountain would be active. They sure weren’t active early, but as the morning wore on and we checked a few glassing spots, they got more and more fired up. Every spot we checked was full of active elk out in the open. One horrible steep, deep canyon was just lit up with at least a dozen screaming bulls but we decided to check on old W330 one more time since the elk were so active.

Yup, he was out on his same sage flat near the saddle, with the same 9 cows he’s had all week. It was already pushing 10am and they were headed over the edge to bed already. One more try at him was the plan for the afternoon.

What turned out to be my last evening hunt started with the same climb up to the sage flat I’d already done 5 or 6 times. Except now I’d had some time to hunt myself into better shape. The climbs definitely get easier as the week goes on.

We were on the hill early because we were worried about a couple of guys we saw glassing our spot……so by 5 pm we were set up on the saddle hidden in a clump of small pines a little under 250 yards from where w330 went ove the edge. The wind was light and steady in our faces so we waited, and waited, and waited some more. We could hear bulls firing up all over the mountain but ours was a no show. Then at 7:30, his cows starting popping over the edge, right where we expected. A minute later my guide said he could see him standing just off the edge of the sage, in his spotting scope.

A minute later he stepped off the edge and he was a freakin monster! It was the first time I’d seen his whole body and I was shocked at how much bigger he was than his cows. He immediately started slowly walking toward a patch of quakies where his cows were already feeding. I had my sticks all set up and I was tracking his chest so I said to my guide I was taking him. But he said to wait a sec and he would stop him. His soft cow call made the bull pick up the pace and he trotted into the quakies without lead flying. Shit!!!!

Since he was only about 200 yards from us in relatively thin aspens, we started crawling through the sage downhill to where we knew we could see him…..about 50 yards. We made it about 10 feet when a satellite bull popped out on our side. We were pinned in the wide open sage and the big bull simply wouldn’t move uphill toward us. We waited as it got darker and tried crawling forward more when the young bull put his ass toward us……..but it was just too sketchy out in the open like that. We made an aggressive move right before dark and blew it all up. This was the last time I’ll ever see W330 and I had one day left.

I promised myself before I left for Utah that I wouldn’t let this turn into a “pressure” situation if it didn’t go exactly to plan. The truth? Both me and my guide were feeling it big time!!!

One full day left and my OIL elk hunt would be over.

Man you are building the suspense!

i cheated to the end of that post for pics

i cheated to the end of that post for pics

That was some professional author level trickery to start like this
What turned out to be my last evening hunt started with the same climb up to the sage flat I’d already done 5 or 6 times
And end like that.

That was some professional author level trickery to start like this

And end like that.
also impressed by his story-telling skills. he's either jedi level english major, or, he's running his redneck version thru chatgpt.
Either way, cool as hell!

also impressed by his story-telling skills. he's either jedi level english major, or, he's running his redneck version thru chatgpt.
Either way, cool as hell!
Best hunting story ever. A+

Day 5 and the mountain was angry, my friends……..always wanted to say that😉

Actually, it was the morning every midwestern deer hunter dreams of from reading Outdoor life and Sports Afield short stories as a kid. It was about 30f with zero wind when we walked out the door at 5:30 headed for that deep canyon I mentioned earlier. The one that’s s had screaming bulls in it all week, but nobody really thought we’d need to go to. The local guys joke about how steep it is.

I was standing on the edge of said canyon as the sun came up looking straight down past the tips of my boots. Did I say it was steep? But just like the other times we had checked, we either could see or hear maybe 10 different bulls and at least 50 cows / calves in our glass. It was on.

So we each removed a layer, threw 2 extra gatorades in our packs, grabbed our walking poles, and stepped off the edge headed for a bench right above the most activity. It was pretty easy to keep track of everything because there was a bugle every 5 seconds, at most!

It took us about 35 minutes to get down to the bench above all the bulls, but the uphill thermals were absolutely perfect for it. Before long we were sneaking along the top of that bench toward the tip of it where we would be able to see off all 3 sides looking down at the elk.

But before we got to the tip, my guide motioned for me to stay back off the edge because we had cows and a spike 10 FEET below us feeding. So we quietly backed off the edge and headed further out to find a better vantage point. It was perfect, a clump of 3 little pines that we could peek around to see what unfolds.

Within 30 seconds of sitting down, we were freaking surrounded by screaming bulls and cows running everywhere. We were in the very center of the whole party! Down the hill one way I could see a nice 5x5, the other way I could see multiple small bulls but got got a quick look at a nice 6x6. Not one like w330 or h310, but a nice one for sure!

Well, we sat there in the middle of all these screaming bulls for the next 15 minutes waiting for that 6x6 to show himself again. If there is a such thing elk hunting heaven, that must be it. The air was thick with that rut smell.

When he didn’t show, I took a long look at that nice 5x5 still standing 75 yards downhill from me and thought about all the things that went wrong all week. After having sat in the middle of so many elk for so long, I figured our luck would run out any second when we got winded. I told my guide that I thought is was time for me to shoot that bull and get myself some meat and a nice rack to take home.

He said …”sure maddog go ahea…….BOOM”.

Attachments

• IMG_5780.jpeg
    IMG_5780.jpeg
    780.8 KB · Views: 52
Awesome story man, it sounds like you got the full experience! Congrats on your bull.

Way to make it happen on the final day! Great looking elk! That rack wouldn't fit in my house. After reading this whole thread yesterday, I feel like selling my new fishing boat and becoming an elk hunter. Thanks for taking us along and congrats on the special hunt.

Agree with all. Well done all around. Thanks for sharing.

Great story telling and the detail shared makes me yearn for a tag. Sounds like an awesome experience and a great bull at the buzzer. Congrats!

Congratulations. Nice bull. I have some experience in steep terrain with elk. How did it go getting it out of there?

EXCELLENT STUFF! Congrats.

I too would like to hear about the packout.

The pack out was made so much easier (for me) by my guide having friends and family in the area. They knew where we were going that morning and not long after my bull was down, they were at the spot we parachuted off the cliff earlier. It just so happened that one of the boys knew there was an old horse trail at the bottom of the canyon that might make for easier walking, but it took us out to an old coal mine that was 2 miles away. This would require 2 more people to drive 1.5 hours around to the other side of the mountain to drop off a vehicle big enough for 6 guys

We had 4 guys follow us down to where my bull fell. They had a bunch of extra bottled water, some Twix, and pack frames. When they got there we took a bunch of pics, broke him down into meat bags and loaded up our packs. I won’t lie and say mine was the heaviest. Hell, it wasn’t the 3rd heaviest.

Just before we took off one of the absolute studs that came to help (36 years old and literally lives in the mountains) suggested we take him back up the way we came down and I honest to God thought I was going to lose my mind. My guide must have seen the look on my face because he said right away that we were not doing that!

Anyway, we started down, and down, then down some more, plus a little more down. It was just ridiculously steep. The kind of steep where you’re crab walking sideways and the only way to make progress is to tilt your boots downhill to initiate a controlled slide while you grab at saplings to slow you down.

When we finally got to the bottom, the trail that used to be there really wasn’t at first. The fires and windstorms tend to make old trails tough to see so we just plowed through everything in a line of heaving white guys until someone said they found it. From there on out it was still a tough hump, but we took 2 nice long breaks in shady spots and shot the breeze about hunting, drank bottled water, and ate the finest Twix bars I’ve ever had in my entire life.😉

When we got to the trailhead, we all piled into a F350 dually and headed back to the cabin. I went to town before dark and bought a bunch of block ice for my meat coolers, loaded them up and headed the 1600 miles home the following morning.

Since I got back, I’ve dropped the head at my taxidermist for a western mount of him. I’ve cut, packed, and vacuum sealed all of my steaks and roasts. All of the trim is ground (twice) and vacuum sealed into 1.25# packages. Everything is in the freezer as I type.

It was MY hunt of a lifetime and I’ll never forget it. Thank you all so much along the way for your advice, help, and encouragement. It was a fun thing to share with you.

May all of your hunts be safe and fun men…..have a great fall!