20 years trying to get a tag…..and it happened!!!!

Yeah…..I’ve heard about the huge posse’s some people have. I guess there have been throw-downs on popular glassing knobs that get a little intense sometimes too. Arguing with somebody before daylight would completely ruin the day for me……just like combat fishing for walleyes in the spring does.

When I was interviewing guides for my hunt, including WL, most wanted me to “buy” spotters for $150 / day per man. They usually recommended 2, but said more is always better.

I didn’t do it. Just me and my guide are going to give it hell and hopefully get the bull I worked for, or not.
Good for you. One of my buddies drew a crazy good mule deer tag, between the 5-6 spotters, ear pieces and radios, road blockers, etc, it was the height of unethical to me. The authorities won’t step in cause there’s a religious and financial angle that is untouchable when you achieve a certain status.

I hate dwelling on it but one guide asked me if I could bring a garmin Rino GPS with me……because all of his spotters have them and they can drop a pin on any bull they see and send it to me wirelessly.

Then, during the stalk to him if he moves, they’ll just send another pin. I guess it’s the way they legally work around a certain radio law.

I bring MY ethics along on an out of state hunt. I don’t adopt somebody else’s.

I talked to 9 different outfits before choosing the one I did. Of the 9 there were 2 that really matched what I want to do, the others were all nice people with lots of knowledge, but more focused on the trophy side of things.

Wow, I had no idea all this was going on. Intriguing game plan for military activities, but not even close to the definition of fair chase in hunting.
Makes me question some wealthy acquaintances who have taken large elk. One in particular told me many stories about his big game hunting experience, but when we finally got together to hunt, he shot a 60lb spike within 1 hour of first light, and I had to show him how to field dress it. Made him drag it out, and he complained the whole time. Volunteered to show him how to butcher it up, and he elected to take it to the processor and pay to have the entire thing made into summer sausage. (Who eats that much sausage?) Next year, he shot a big elk in Colorado, bragged about it incessantly, and had it mounted. When the mount showed up on the back of a semi a year later, he couldn't get it thru any door of his house, and told me he gave it away to a steak house.
I always thought there was no way this idiot had the skills to go to the mountains and take an elk legitimately. I guarantee you he'd be the one to pay anyone he could to guarantee his success. It all makes sense now!

Grinding tenderloins and back straps for sausage should result in an instant loss of your man card, for life, IMHO.

Only exception is H4H programs. 😉

Edit : I learned from my taxidermist recently that he can “key” the horns on a bull if it’s too big to fit through a 36” door. He told me to pray that happens!

Last edited:
The last few weeks flew by with all of the food plot and general projects on the farm. And now I find myself less than 2 weeks from beginning the drive out to Utah. Just unbelievable how fast it came now that it’s almost here.

Still shooting my rifle at least a couple times per week and I feel real good out to 300. Beyond that I just don’t have the optics for it. Or the eyes.

I thought my conditioning was going well until I worked hard outside in this recent heat wave. If it’s this hot on my hunt, I’m in trouble 😉. But generally I feel great. I’m glad I have a couple of non hunting days at the beginning to start getting used to the altitude.

I have clothes packed for every type of weather possible except extreme cold…..which seems unlikely……but now that I said it I suppose the polar vortex is is getting whipped up.

The local report until recently, has been HOT as hades. Bulls were still in singles / bachelor groups and staying in the dark timber during daylight. In the last few days there has been lots of rain and cooler temps in the higher elevations. My guide is starting his serious scouting now through my arrival on the 18th on his own and with a Manti Archery tag holder. He said things should start getting more serious as far as rutting activity with the bigger bulls, very soon.

Truck oil is changed, tires are rotated, coolers are cleaned, and hotel reservations are confirmed along the drive out. Final payment for the hunt is in the mail.

Let’s do this!

Congrats on the draw, sounds like opportunity of a life time. If you are hunting at higher altitudes, how are you prepping?

The cabin I’m staying in is at about 8k, on OnX, and the the nearby peaks are all around 11k.

I’ve lost 14# since I drew the tag and I’ve been doing some hiking with weight. Probably not nearly enough, but it’s mostly baked-in now. Cam Haines would probably give me some side eye. 😂

Yup, in the truest sense of the phrase for a non-resident, it’s an OIL tag. I could start building points again tomorrow in my mid-50’s and would never draw another tag if I lived to be 110. Even guys with 10 points today aren’t likely to ever draw an early rifle tag.

Can you share a pic of your LaSal bull Chris A? Was the early rifle season everything people say it is with rutting bulls screaming their heads off?

One question I have is about this hunt is…….Did you hunt all day? Or do you take a mid day siesta while they’re bedded?
We didn’t really hunt all day, although one of the three days we did try a few spots right after lunch during slow time. The other days we went back and napped, or chilled until later in the day.

As to the rut, yes, this was the opening rifle season and they were bugling like crazy all around us. The third day, the day I got mine, there were probably five or six within fairly close range bugling when we went in right before dawn. My guide listened carefully and opted for what he thought sounded like the biggest bull, and that is the one that I shot after he called it in to about 200 yards. We never did see the others, so no idea if he was right or not, but my bull ended up scoring 330, so I was happy regardless. He was a great guide and I’d use him again in a heartbeat, but I’m not sure I’m going to be able to get that lucky with a similar tag. I do keep trying though!

Here is a pic of my bull. A great hunt, and I hope you have a great time as well. Keep us posted.

683B1CE1-CEEE-4A37-A8C2-BC687C1393B3.jpeg

What a beauty of a Bull ChrisA. I’d shoot him at daylight on opening morning in 1/2 a heartbeat!! But I hope I don’t have to make that decision because I really want to hunt for a few days.

Thanks for the info. This being my first ever elk hunt I really don’t know what to expect in any given day.

At the peak of the WT rut, my butt is in a tree dark to dark. But it seems like every time I’ve spoken with my guide he always talks about midday nap time. That’s why I asked…..

The last few weeks flew by with all of the food plot and general projects on the farm. And now I find myself less than 2 weeks from beginning the drive out to Utah. Just unbelievable how fast it came now that it’s almost here.

Still shooting my rifle at least a couple times per week and I feel real good out to 300. Beyond that I just don’t have the optics for it. Or the eyes.

I thought my conditioning was going well until I worked hard outside in this recent heat wave. If it’s this hot on my hunt, I’m in trouble 😉. But generally I feel great. I’m glad I have a couple of non hunting days at the beginning to start getting used to the altitude.

I have clothes packed for every type of weather possible except extreme cold…..which seems unlikely……but now that I said it I suppose the polar vortex is is getting whipped up.

The local report until recently, has been HOT as hades. Bulls were still in singles / bachelor groups and staying in the dark timber during daylight. In the last few days there has been lots of rain and cooler temps in the higher elevations. My guide is starting his serious scouting now through my arrival on the 18th on his own and with a Manti Archery tag holder. He said things should start getting more serious as far as rutting activity with the bigger bulls, very soon.

Truck oil is changed, tires are rotated, coolers are cleaned, and hotel reservations are confirmed along the drive out. Final payment for the hunt is in the mail.

Let’s do this!
Man I got pumped up reading this. You’re gonna have a ball!

What a beauty of a Bull ChrisA. I’d shoot him at daylight on opening morning in 1/2 a heartbeat!! But I hope I don’t have to make that decision because I really want to hunt for a few days.

Thanks for the info. This being my first ever elk hunt I really don’t know what to expect in any given day.

At the peak of the WT rut, my butt is in a tree dark to dark. But it seems like every time I’ve spoken with my guide he always talks about midday nap time. That’s why I asked…..
Not much moving during mid-day and guide didn’t want to go into the dark timber after them and risk getting busted by a harem of cows, so seemed like a good call. Wish I was going back this year. Good luck!

Remember to hunt the thermals,sometimes if we have a good wallow we will hunt them mid day,But usually after a couple days you will need want the time to lay back ,dry sock and air feet out

After waiting a little over 7600 days, in less than 24 hours I’m heading out to Utah for my elk hunt. The truck is completely packed except for road snacks. I’m going to the range at noon to fire 5 of my last 10 practice rounds……the last 5 I’m saving for after the drive out.

Spoke with my guide yesterday and he said things are really heating up fast. Bulls are screaming and rounding up cows. He said he’s scouted several ‘decent’ bulls but nothing he will call our ‘for sure #1’ yet. He has a few friends and family helping him scout this weekend before I arrive to scout on Mon / Tues. (I’m dying to see what he calls decent!).

The weather forecast has it in the 30’s at night and 60’s for daytime highs. Mostly light S and SW winds, with a 30% chance of rain one day…..otherwise dry.

Tomorrow morning at 6 am starts the drive out to Central NE (11 hours)..then on Sunday morning drive to Eastern Utah (9 hours) and Monday morning the last 3 hours up to the cabin.

Still hard to believe this is actually going down!!!!

I don’t think I have any Wi-Fi or cell service during the hunt…..but I promise to update as soon as possible win, lose, or draw!!

Thanks for all of the help and tips and advice everyone! Much appreciated!

Attachments

• 84AE4D9C-CADD-422C-9548-A2FD4F22FA56.gif
    84AE4D9C-CADD-422C-9548-A2FD4F22FA56.gif
    1.5 MB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Hope you got em man! Keep us updated.

Hope you got em man! Keep us updated.
Speaking of keeping us posted.. have you been to AK and back yet? Thought of you and @Maddog66 this weekend and wondered about your trips.

Ok. I got back late yesterday afternoon, wiped out from the drive, and then had to work today. But here goes……

The afternoon before I was scheduled to start my drive out to Utah, at about 3 pm, I decided to run out to the rifle range for one last practice session. After missing the whole target at 250 yards, I realized I had a cracked front mount on my rifle. I could feel the scope move in the rings. To say I was freaked out, would be an understatement. In the end, I never did get my rifle running. My guide was kind enough to loan me his personal rifle. This saga alone could take 5 paragraphs ….. but the short version was a class 1A CF

My 3 scouting trips (a.m., p.m. and a.m.)prior to the hunt were a great time. I got to get a good look at the hunting area from above, learn some of the place names, and take a few short hikes to start getting acclimated. It was ROUGH that first 2-3 days. Even short climbs were almost killing me……couldn’t get enough air.

During scouting we saw one of the 2 bulls they thought would be great targets for me…..Let’s call them wide 330 and heavy 310. We also saw at least 250 other elk in herds from 3 to 30. Many, many bulls but none bigger or in better spots than W330 and H310. The last morning of scouting we watched W330 take his cows off the sage flat, over the edge into dark timber to bed. Then the last night we saw him bring his cows out of the exact same spot to feed. Perfect!

Opening morning, we hiked for an hour in the dark to get to where we could make a move if they followed the same pattern…..which they did!…..except about 300 yards further up the sage just over the crest of the hill. I saw a couple of cows and his gigantic rack hover on the skyline…as they crested. We crouched and crawled toward the crest, but just ran out of time and they made it into the timber headed away from us. Not spooked.

Just as we decided to back out and come back that evening, a huge bugle absolutely lit us up from right below in the timber. Maybe 100 yards at most. It was the first time in my life I’d ever heard one bugle that close! My guide said he sounded good!…. so we quickly stepped over the top about 50 yards And found a small shooting lane about 10 yards wide and maybe 50 yards long straight downhill. I sat down and he gave a couple of soft mews and started raking a tree, very lightly, with a little stick.

This caused that bull to absolutely lose his freaking mind! He screamed at us so hard I could feel the sound vibrations on my face! He ended each bugle with deep grunts and chuckles that got my guide looking pretty serious. He whispered at me to “get ready” as that bull screamed His way up the hill right at us…….breaking every stick and log in his path. If a skid steer could clear brush with no engine or track noise——that’s what he sounded like coming toward us up a 30% slope.

This all went down in less than 60 seconds and suddenly, out steps a freaking humongous (to me) 6 x 6 bull about 1/3 of the way up my little opening , headed right at me, still screaming like mad every 3rd step! He was posturing and looking everywhere for cows to steal. Puffed up and massive! He then stepped just off the edge of my lane into to trees and continued walking perfectly at me until he got to 15 feet, broadside, looking away from me! I had my safety off and was about to roll him, when my guide whispered “too small - pass him”. So I sat there and watched him bugle and grunt in my face for a good 5 minutes until he saw my guide and blew out. He was a 280 class “satellite” bull.

Opening night, we were back in almost the same spot as the morning except just over the rise precisely where W330 headed to bed with his 9 cows the previous morning. Everything was going exactly to plan. We could hear him bugling and pushing his cows up exactly where he took them over the top that morning. Just as the cows came out into the opening, the wind swirled and the closest cow caught our scent. She didn’t blow up, but she kind of alert-walked quickly into a small patch Of quakies. This caused the bull to take the long (protected) way around and I never got to really see his body, until right at dark. So we snuck out again, feeling good that they weren’t spooked and that the next morning would see him kicking on his back.

Liking the sounds of this, ready for more!

The scope mount that cracked, Talley by chance?

Yeah, that cracked mount would make me sick too. Anxious for the rest!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cmon, man!
I hate cliff hangers! I want the payoff.

Checking back every 10 min