A game to play. I took a 50 acre parcel, and drew up how I would design it from scratch. Nothing fancy.

omicron1792

5 year old buck +
IMG_3189.jpeg

This is perfect world. Plot is set up so top of screen is north.

I would clearcut the area in purple, about 20 acres. I would put a fire lane around it, and plant it in low density longleaf pine. I would burn it on a 2-5 year interval to favor wide spaced longleaf pine, grasses and forbs, and few hardwoods. This would be bedding heaven.

In right in red would be food plot. I’m done with hidey hole plots. I want a 5 acre plus long meandering food plot, with multiple levels of edging including native grasses, shrubs, small mast producing trees like dwarf chinkapin oaks. I would plant this field twice yearly with annual fall and annual spring plants.

The dark blue would be a 3-4 acre pond as water source and fishing in middle of property. I would use in spring and summer, and not use starting in September. I would mainly use south side of pond.

The yellow would be mast tree orchards connecting bedding to pond and pond to plot. I would plant clover underneath trees and keep mowed and groomed. 5 acres total.

the light blue would be house or barn at very southern edge of property.

X would be hunting stands (of course I would have others just main ones). Bottom of field shooting house. Bottom of bedding shooting house with lanes cut through bedding area late summer. And one on each side of pond in mast trees.

The green would all be hardwoods for deer travel, screening from neighbors. I would do tsi on all of it, probably 20 acres.

I’m including blank copy if you want to try with photo edit feature on phone!

IMG_3189.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_3189.jpeg
    IMG_3189.jpeg
    201.7 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_3189.jpeg
    IMG_3189.jpeg
    202.8 KB · Views: 8
I can assume that things like 4 acre lakes can go wherever I want them?? I think I’ll just draw a 190” under my stand and call it a day. ;)

I can assume that things like 4 acre lakes can go wherever I want them?? I think I’ll just draw a 190” under my stand and call it a day. ;)
I’m saying design it however you want! It’s a blank rectangular 50 acre parcel. What have you found is the best setup.