20 years trying to get a tag…..and it happened!!!!

Thanks WJ!!! I’ll take all the advice I can get since I’m a complete newb😂

I work in the meat packing biz and I agree 1000% with everything you said…..but I also have a 1600+ mile drive home and I’m not sure how I’d get full quarters home in good shape.

Should I put a freezer in the back if my truck? Big coolers and dry ice?

It would take a pretty big freezer and coolers way bigger than I have. I don’t want to leave the meat and have it shipped back.

Boots: Yes, I have Kettetrek mountain boots that I wear hunting at home. They’re the 400g insulated ones, but they’re broke in well and I can’t add another pair of expensive boots to the rapidly growing tab $ for this hunt.
This may be a long shot, but a guy let me borrow a Yeti 600 qt or something like that for an elk hunt last fall. He had previously used it to haul a moose home. He was a bar owner and they used it for special events and it sits the rest of the time. Maybe someone around you would let you rent something like that for a small fee?

Edit: It was a Grizzly 400 like this.

Preach howbout!

I haven’t run 52 miles total in my life since my last day of football in college….too long ago. But I’m going to do my best for the next 3 months and let it rip.

But one thing I notice in so many outfitters pics, and they confirm in conversations, is that a at least 75% of the hunters they take are 15 years older than me and in way worse shape (ie. pear)……yet there they sit holding GIANT bulls smiling like crazy.

The reality these days is that it takes so long to get a tag and it costs so much when you do, most are already waaayyyy past their prime physically when it happens. Not that I’m anywhere close to prime (maybe hi select or choice?😂😂)!!!

So it seems like outfitters are very well situated for guys in their 70’s these days. If they can do it, so can I.

Ok guys….another question on equipment. Some western hunters say a bipod on your rifle is the best thing since sliced bread. Others say ‘real men’ don’t use bipods 😂😂.

My guide says he does everything possible to make sure any long shots are prone (300+ out to maybe 500 yards) on a pack. Hunting in timber I’d be either sitting or able to find a lean.

Is there a reason for me to buy and practice with a bipod before my hunt? I’ve never needed one before so no experience with them (Or shooting sticks).

T max…..that’s a great idea! I know a guy than owns a butcher shop too. Only problem with a borrowed huge yeti is if it gets stolen, I could have rented a private jet and flown my meat home for the replacement cost😂.

Last edited:
Ok guys….another question on equipment. Some western hunters say a bipod on your rifle is the best thing since sliced bread. Others say ‘real men’ don’t use bipods 😂😂.

My guide says he does everything possible to make sure any long shots are prone (300+ out to maybe 500 yards) on a pack. Hunting in timber I’d be either sitting or able to find a lean.

Is there a reason for me to buy and practice with a bipod before my hunt? I’ve never needed one before so no experience with them (Or shooting sticks).
I carry a tripod for glassing anyway (makes a HUGE difference so worth the weight to me) so I've used it as a rest many times. Never used a bipod, but I don't often find myself in a situation where prone works for me either. I also never shot at any animal beyond 400 yards, so I suppose that affects my perspective.

On the fitness - I don't run much either since football 30+ years ago; my knees don't approve of it. I admire guys like HowBout that can do and enjoy that, but distance running to prep for hunts would take a solid chunk of the fun out of western hunting for me. As you said, if you have a guide with a SxS or horse to get you there - MANY old guys in poor shape are successful every year in that scenario. Do all you reasonably can to get in shape, but don't hurt yourself getting ready. Nothing worse IMO than training hard for months only to come up gimpy a few weeks before the hunt.

This is a rut hunt where they are going to call the bulls to you, and you don't need them to come to archery range. Yes, you have to do some hiking to get into position, and you may have to reposition to a better setup, but it's not like a post rut hunt where you glass bulls in the nasty stuff from great distance at first or last light, then bust your tail to get to them before they disappear into the timber, or night falls.

I won’t use it as an excuse not to train, but that’s exactly the way I’ve been thinking about it too NG.

What one outfitter said was “you can only get the bull your legs will take you to”. Implying that the harder you can go, the bigger the bull. The whole time I was thinking about his website with much less fit guys holding 360” bulls…….and thinking, I’m gonna kill a 450!!!!

Thanks WJ!!! I’ll take all the advice I can get since I’m a complete newb😂

I work in the meat packing biz and I agree 1000% with everything you said…..but I also have a 1600+ mile drive home and I’m not sure how I’d get full quarters home in good shape.

Should I put a freezer in the back if my truck? Big coolers and dry ice?

It would take a pretty big freezer and coolers way bigger than I have. I don’t want to leave the meat and have it shipped back.

Boots: Yes, I have Kettetrek mountain boots that I wear hunting at home. They’re the 400g insulated ones, but they’re broke in well and I can’t add another pair of expensive boots to the rapidly growing tab $ for this hunt.

I have cheap coleman extreme 150 qt and a 120 qt coolers and find that combo is about right to handle all the meat from a bull with quarters still on the bone plus some ice/dry ice. I have an old thermarest foam sleeping bad that I cut up to put on top of the meat and separate it from making direct contact with dry ice.

I know some guys bring a whole freezer with them and that sounds cool in theory but those light plastic coolers are easy to deal with too and have worked fine for me.

The other thing i'll mention is travelling with bone might be a no-no based on cwd regs but i've just taken my chances on that one.

Sometimes there's processers who can handle things for you quick before travelling too and it's nice to bring it in on the bone. Last year I killed a bull early Monday evening on private land where it was easily accessible, brought into processor on tuesday morning, they broke it down into steaks/roasts as requested, packaged some up as I brought it in, and grinded some with a little pork fat and flash froze it all Tuesday night, weds morning I picked up my (mostly) frozen vacuum packed meat and was on my way to hunt whitetails in ND for a few days on the way home.

Last edited:
Bipods are sure nice for getting steady, so are tripods as mentioned.

I'd get trekking poles if you don't have them just for getting around the mountains. They are like having 4 wheel drive vs 2 without. I can get almost bipod/prone solid shooting seated with crossed trecking poles for a front rest my pack as a rear rest. I'd say being capable of building a solid position using a variety of props is way more important than a bipod but I usually keep a lightweight spartan bipod i can throw on quick with me if not a heavier attached bipod.

I would practice with a bipod or tripod and be comfortable with those shots. Just got back from African hunt and it made all the difference.

My only elk hunt was outside of Craig CO a few years ago. A couple hours before daylight I walked 1/2 mile from camp to a spot on a ridge that seemed like a good place to be. I was looking down into a grass valley and across at a mountain side.

Just before sun up I noticed a few dark blobs in the yellow grass below me so I backed off a bit and set up a rest with my pack. At shooting light, a legal bull stood up to tend his cows and I shot him three times him at 230 yards with my .270. He was staggering after the first shot but everyone told me to just keep shooting until they fall down then be ready to shoot when they stand up again. So I did.

I gutted him, walked back to camp, took an ATV with a trailer to his carcass. A fellow hunter helped haul him on the trailer and we drove him out.

It felt like a deer hunt in Minnesota. It was a letdown. But I did shoot an elk. Only one other guy in camp got one.

I don’t understand how the guys didn’t kill anything because we had either sex tags and I saw at least 100 cows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Koch, your story is EXACTLY what I don’t want to happen. I’ve discussed it with the guide I chose twice already.

It’s also the reason I insisted on showing up 2 full days early. At the very least I’ll get to be an elk hunter for more than a day or 2 before driving 1600 miles home, myself.

I spoke with 2 references. 1 killed the bull of his lifetime on the first afternoon and the other took his on the 3rd morning- also the biggest bull of his life. Wish I could share the pics.

Edit: Just bought 3 boxes of apparently rare and precious 300WSM ammo. 180 gr accubond, 60 rounds = $250. WTAF!?!?

Last edited:
Edit: Just bought 3 boxes of apparently rare and precious 300WSM ammo. 180 gr accubond, 60 rounds = $250. WTAF!?!?

Absurd.

Whats really absurd is that the order I placed for “in stock” ammo was cancelled because, surprise!, I guess it really wasn’t so in stock after all. But it didn’t stop them from charging my credit card.

Even absurder yet (😉) is that I just ordered from a different online place for $10 MORE per box…..guaranteed in-stock supposedly.

That sounds really high

Higher than the balls on a goose….as my grandfather used to say. 😂

Over $90 per box for Nosler Tropy grade 180 gr Accubond.

Just craziness.

Got my tag in the mail while I was away on business and my wife opened it and sent me a pic. Still a little unreal.

I’ve put about 30 rounds through my rifle, so far, and I’m getting ready to switch over to hunting ammo for the rest of the summer.

I had a “free” elevation dial coming on the Luepold scope I’ve had on my rifle (A-bolt) for years, that I never used. So I collected up all the ballistics info and ordered one specific for my hunt. Pretty sure I’m not going to be using an 8000’ elevation dial much in Wisconsin in the future, but what heck - I thought I’d try it.

Is it only me that can barely see a 500 yard gong at the range, much less shoot it?😂

Just pointing out that a lot of things can get you sideways with the CDS dial system. Not all scopes make the correct angular adjustments they are supposed to, saw a new leupold mark 5 start ghost clicking (scope would click, reticle wouldn't move) not that far from zero. Velocity on the box can vary greatly from actual as can bullet manufacture actual BC. Inside 500 yards, little flaws may very well be inside your shooting ability but I'd want to validate it out there on your scouting days if you intend to use the CDS dial.

Great info WG. Thank you!

I actually did shoot my hunting ammo through a chronograph - average of only 5. But I used the B.C. on the box and standard eye relief measurement of 1.5”.

Probably should have just left it alone and used holdover because this is definitely my confidence rig. Without the magic dial I’ve killed a bunch of white tails out to 225. But nothing approaching 500. Never even gave it a thought, really.

If I can’t hunt my way to a ‘nice’ bull at a reasonable range for me, screw it. I’ll hunt for 5 days, enjoy the Rockies in late September, and try to fill my coolers for the ride home with a satellite bull in bow range.

I've done considerable long range shooting at varmints out west.....and been on several big game hunts in the west......elk, mulies, antelope. One thing about mountain hunting is keep your gear light as possible and if you question if you need it along.....you don't. Shoot that rifle of yours at long range as possible......and get the best shooting stick set up you can afford. If you can support the butt stock too.....do it.....but it's gotta set up quickly on lots of different terrain. If you can shoot prone or sitting off support....do it. But often you need to have a higher standing shot. Plan on it. I more or less introduced shooting sticks to the world back in the 90's. Had the most popular brand at that time. If you need to shoot over 250 yards or so.....your going to need a rest. Especially if your low on oxygen from hiking the mountains. A rangefinder and means to dial scope knobs are good.....but I still like a long zero and scope with holdover increments. (TDS reticle) (lots of changes are happening in that department....and I am getting dated).

When my shooting stick products were "the thing" most of the guides out west furnished and carried the shooting sticks for their cleints as their success was so much better. ....and I would ask the outfitter what they may have?.... or suggest a brand that you should bring? A bipod beats a monopod....just like a tripod beats a bipod. Supporting the buttstock adds far better accuracy too. Gets to be allot to carry......Helps if your guide will carry the pods. They usually will....as your success is their success and better tips. Grin. Bring enough gun.

Just saw you live in Wisconsin. Not sure how much long range shooting you have done. If you have a free weekend.....you might consider doing a dog shoot out in North or South Dakota. You will need to get west of "the river" to get into good dog country. Bring a couple of rifles.....including your big game rifle. A couple hundred rounds and some practice at long range is of immense help to any big game hunt. Learning to dope the wind and use hold-over's and all your long range gear prior to your hunt may pay a big dividend on your once-in-a-liftime hunt. I used to shoot allot west of Mobridge S.D. but there are many good places to go. A weekend of this kind of long-range shooting will teach almost anyone to know his gun and capabilities. Just a thought.

Just remembered this Facebook post from an old shooting partner and friend of mine. He's going still longer range now. (over 2000 yards with a new gun he has)....I retired from such stuff. lol.

My friend writes:
Got the 8" steel plate 5 times....range...1000 yards. Group spread was 3.6". The 6MM Dasher/Varget/Sierra 107MK did the job, well there was no wind also. Tom Peterson, I am still using your tools for great handloads. Thanks.Joel at 1000 yards.jpeg